How do Surround sound 7.1 headphones compare to SPEAKERS?

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I want to get as immersed as possible, I still don't understand how headphones with only two speakers can be surround, but... do you get the surround sound immersion with these headphones?

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
I want to get as immersed as possible, I still don't understand how headphones with only two speakers can be surround, but... do you get the surround sound immersion with these headphones?
I've asked this questionmany times, but you realize more people who have no idea will comment than the other way around. Headphones are more than efficient enough. Whenever I play a fps I use mine and I hear movement in a 360 degree radius. Xbox has Windows sonic which turns any headset into a surround sound device, just turn it on in your settings and :eat:

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've asked this questionmany times, but you realize more people who have no idea will comment than the other way around. Headphones are more than efficient enough. Whenever I play a fps I use mine and I hear movement in a 360 degree radius. Xbox has Windows sonic which turns any headset into a surround sound device, just turn it on in your settings and :eat:
And it actually sounds like surround sound?

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
ultimately you only have two ears. your brain picks up certain nuances in the sound to determine if a sound is coming from in front, or behind, you. software can basically mimic those nuances to fool your brain into thinking a sound is coming from behind you

it's never gonna be the same as having multiple discrete speakers, but it also has advantages since it cuts out a lot of background noise and such. headphones really work good with VR, since it can use the headset tracking to determine your orientation in the sound space

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
ultimately you only have two ears. your brain picks up certain nuances in the sound to determine if a sound is coming from in front, or behind, you. software can basically mimic those nuances to fool your brain into thinking a sound is coming from behind you

it's never gonna be the same as having multiple discrete speakers, but it also has advantages since it cuts out a lot of background noise and such. headphones really work good with VR, since it can use the headset tracking to determine your orientation in the sound space
Thank you, this really helped .

PS5 Pro

Daps
Reppin
Thank you, this really helped .
What he said at the end can throw you off tho, the headphones work really well with VR statement. Headphones work really well period, and the VR angle he said about how it tracks you so the sound will play off that..that's how it works anyway, it just tracks other players in game and relays the sound to you accordingly.. No difference. I've never heard VR enhancing the the way sound works in a headset :yeshrug:

So my point is...
And it actually sounds like surround sound?
Yes :francis:

I'm playing pubg right, I'm in a house getting supplies and I hear somebody walking outside? I can sit still and can track exactly where he is in a 360degree proximity to where I'm sitting.

Just don't put your headset on backwards :merchant:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
You get simulated surround sound with headphones and the quality can be great and sufficient for most gamers. You get the benefit of being able to crank the volume late at night if you live with others (or in an apartment).
Surround sound is a different beast altogether. There’s a depth to the sound you don’t get with headphones and depending on your receiver/speakers, the quality of the audio can be significantly better.
For the person who wants a true surround sound experience with the highest quality audio, 7.1 surround is the way to go.
For this that can’t afford it, or that have space restrictions, headphones are a great alternative.
I have both and use them both regularly, although I play on the 7.1 system more than anything else.

Kuwka_Atcha_Ratcha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What he said at the end can throw you off tho, the headphones work really well with VR statement. Headphones work really well period, and the VR angle he said about how it tracks you so the sound will play off that..that's how it works anyway, it just tracks other players in game and relays the sound to you accordingly.. No difference. I've never heard VR enhancing the the way sound works in a headset :yeshrug:

So my point is...

Yes :francis:

I'm playing pubg right, I'm in a house getting supplies and I hear somebody walking outside? I can sit still and can track exactly where he is in a 360degree proximity to where I'm sitting.

Just don't put your headset on backwards :merchant:
thnkas this helped a lot, im thinking of getting the official playstation headset 7.1

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
Meh, majority of them cannot do what they advertise, as they're still 2.0 stereo solutions at the core.

They sound good though, and the widened soundstage with stereo feels more open. I wouldn't buy simply for the faux surround though. If they offer wireless or such then it's a consideration.

PS5 Pro

Daps
Reppin
Meh, majority of them cannot do what they advertise, as they're still 2.0 stereo solutions at the core.

They sound good though, and the widened soundstage with stereo feels more open. I wouldn't buy simply for the faux surround though. If they offer wireless or such then it's a consideration.
So basically your deciding factor has nothing to do with this threads Core topic, yah?

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
So basically your deciding factor has nothing to do with this threads Core topic, yah?

Because stereo into 7.1 hardly works, I would need another draw. :yeshrug:

To answer the OP bluntly I wouldn't unless there's something else to them.