How did Fortnite blow up?

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps
Wasn't just a tweet.

He hopped on a stream with the biggest guy doing it at the time along with Rocky and some football player. One of the most watched streams on Twitch ever I think.

Made not just the game but streaming itself pop

IMO he had a much bigger effect on streaming than he did on Fortnite, cause the BR was already seeing crazy numbers early on. When Drizzy played with Ninja, Travis Scott and Juju Smith-Schuster, that moment pretty much ensured at that point the game couldn't really fail(although it was showing it wasn't going to) but the stamp he gave streaming(mostly Ninja) in the process was bigger IMO. Had streamers getting commercials, working with the NFL and going up to Ellen and shyt. :wow:

MegaManX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
They paid celebrities to play it, sing about it, and act like they gave a damn about it. I remember drake saying shyt about fortnite.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
find it crazy i gave my nephew and nieces a ps4 they don't even touch it, all they play is roblox and fortnite which doesn't even cost money :beli:

Kairi Irving

Here Comes A New Challenger
Daps
They added a Battle Royale Mode at the end of 2017 for free.

I was there the moment it happened, did not see this game blowing up the way it did.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They added a Battle Royale Mode at the end of 2017 for free.

I was there the moment it happened, did not see this game blowing up the way it did.

True story. I remember when Fortnite was a joke because Epic announced it, and was quiet about it for YEARS.

But the turning point was when they decided to pay influencers to play the game. The dedicated Twitch crowd will damn near play anything if a streamer they like is playing it.

Also, as mentioned, they were smart to make the battle Royale mode free to play right as people were getting tired of PUBG's bullshyt. I think that was at the height of the first wave of cheaters, and them not being all that quick to roll out improvements despite making a ton of early access money, and getting plenty of gaming media adoration.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
LOL at people crediting Drake

Streaming in fortnite has been popular way before that

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It was free

The look was more appealing to a board audience

Constant updates and polish.

It was only the second or 3rd of it's kind and it was drastically different. Still really different compared to other BR games with the building.

It became available on everything to play.

The dances, and star power also helps it stay relevant

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
it’s a fun game to play...my students asked me to play w/ them but I wasn’t tryna do that then they said @ least play it and see if you like it...played it on my own and was mad cuz I sucked...but something made me go back...this was about 2 years ago been playing it since...still suck for the most part but again the shyt is fun...I’ve gotten a decent amount of kills but I’ve never won a match...if I ever learn to build I’LL be a beast lol...but ya as I said the gameplay is fun and it’s easy to jump into...PUBG felt like a chore and the shyt is still fukking choppy as fukk...it’s simply not an enjoyable game for me to play

Last edited:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
LOL at people crediting Drake

Streaming in fortnite has been popular way before that
Nobody saying streaming wasn't popular, but Drake got Ninja out of being "just a streamer" to huge endorsements and shyt from just playing a few games together.

Pretty sure that's still the most watched stream in Twitch history too

Kairi Irving

Here Comes A New Challenger
Daps
Nobody saying streaming wasn't popular, but Drake got Ninja out of being "just a streamer" to huge endorsements and shyt from just playing a few games together.

Pretty sure that's still the most watched stream in Twitch history too

Ninja was already a superstar, hence why Drake decided to wave ride

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Ninja was already a superstar, hence why Drake decided to wave ride
Ninja wasn't on the cover of ESPN before that. Wasn't headlining events in person and shyt. He was doing numbers but the bridge from solely twitch streaming and old ass Halo events to big time engagements was built then and there.

I got no feelings on Drake one way or the other.