how could the crack epidemic have been prevented back in the day?

Sbp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
Nothing the government introduced it there was no way of stopping it. If Freeway Ricky Ross would've declined they would have found some other dummy.

Patriarch

#straightblackpride
Daps
Read "The New Jim Crow" by Michelle Alexander. The war on drugs was launched in 1982 , years before the crack epidemic reached our communities. Kill our leaders , dismantle our self defense groups , and push drugs into our community. Textbook way to subjugate a group.

Arihi

Mare Liberum
Daps
Reppin
City O' Sails
Very good question, I can't think of a single way it could have been prevented nor can I think of a way to prevent it from happening again.

Put it out there to the community and raise awareness
_could take a look at the history of the epidemic, maybe even pull up some data/census/statistics if avail of what was happening in communities at the time..
_bringing together the community via use social media, take advantage of free digital platforms, eg if everyone wants could become digital weekly journals/blogs/newspaper keep everyone connected
_ensure there are levels of local accountability
...etc

• Dap
Reactions: jeh

Kritic

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
and what can be done to prevent a similar disaster from reoccurring?
i call the crack epidemic what it is--a biological warfare against the black community.

it's like asking arabs what they could've done to prevent a war. nothing.
like asking a girl what she could've done to prevent a rape. pretty much nothing.

nothing you can do if someone's targeted you and you're oblivious of their schemes. the only thing is to be on alert and paranoid. don't just be naive that [people who run] corporations and govt have good intentions.

this shyt economic war is about profits and control.

thekyuke

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
and what can be done to prevent a similar disaster from reoccurring?

You do know the CIA targeted blacks with that contra cocaine? IMO,before asking the question you should ask:what ,if anything has changed?

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
You'd have to have eliminated 'White' people in order to prevent it in the first place since they were the ones who glamorized cocaine use during the 'Disco Era', which increased demand, which increased production to the point the price dropped and forced dealers to create crack in order to generate a profit.​

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
only way it could have been prevented is if it would have decimated the caucasian community....things don't get real until it affects them

Truth200

Banned
Daps
You'd have to have eliminated 'White' people in order to prevent it in the first place since they were the ones who glamorized cocaine use during the 'Disco Era', which increased demand, which increased production to the point the price dropped and forced dealers to create crack in order to generate a profit.​

Capitalism has no moral basis and i had no idea that disco music created crack.

Kublai Khan

Banned
Daps
Draconian drug laws and zero tolerance prosecution would be the only way to curb it.

It has to also be a cultural war, crack and crack heads should have movies about them and songs against it.

That drug doesn't deserve to take anyone's life.

Claudex

Lord have mercy!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Motherland
The way crack fukked the black community wasn't just because of the addictive properties of the drug. It was also the poverty and lack of economic avenues which made selling crack basically a necessity.

The drugs have always been a 2nd or 3rd blow as @Reaganomics so well put it.

Now how can we protect ourselves from such a multiple waves attack? Well, I believe the best way is by taking advantage of the current situation as much as we can. Nothing is sweet still these days, but there's more room for nikkas to go to school and get degrees, and more room for black people to uplift themselves and stick together. Maybe I'm wrong; but I believe there are more avenues to escape the abject poverty that would make selling drugs the only viable source of income, compared to the 80's.