How come this generation doesn’t have a Ray Charles or Stevie Wonder?

Oatmeal

6th Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DNA-LEVEL-C
Same reason this generation doesn’t have a R.Kelly or Babyface, a Tupac or Biggie, a Rakim or Krs-1….

nikkas don’t study history especially the real love, real political and social issues
Because Pop Smoke got killed over a damn watch:snoop:

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
On the surface many people will say this is a ridiculous statement but the reality is this is truth. I’m not a religious person at all but those artist were heavily influenced and bred by the church. Pretty much every great artist credits the church for their talents.
It has nothing to do with religion regarding this topic

Church is a common topic brought up with the change in music because church=years of practice. You got Stevie's, Rays, Whitney's etc from years and years of reps in church from a young age

vino

Superstar
Daps
It has nothing to do with religion regarding this topic

Church is a common topic brought up with the change in music because church=years of practice. You got Stevie's, Rays, Whitney's etc from years and years of reps in church from a young age

I understand that. The sentence rounded about the Church. I said I wasn’t and not they had to be (it was admission of me saying I’m not saying you need to be religious but that the skills developed from the institution of Church). That why I said they give credit to the church (and not religion).

Also, you can’t avoid the style/sounds of music in the church that carried over to secular sound. They brought that to mainstream as well.

PatCake

Alkali Nonmetals
Daps
Reppin
I, for one, welcome our new space overlords.
Because the generation is full manipulators (samplers) of original music. Not creators of original music. Every album, Stevie sat in front of the piano and tried to write new shyt. Now you have Kanye West and his like skimming through those records looking for a hook or drum he likes, and he's supposed to be one of our goats.

Create!

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Talent no longer determines success, that's why.
On the surface many people will say this is a ridiculous statement but the reality is this is truth. I’m not a religious person at all but those artist were heavily influenced and bred by the church. Pretty much every great artist credits the church for their talents.
It's not ridiculous but it's overblown.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They were prematurely killed off when the church faded away from Black Life in the 21st century.
There's a pretty sizeable church-going population in Black America - its more than that.

Its because music consumption and media have changed - and being a blind musician doesn't carry the same interest it had before.

Not to mention Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder are musical genuises in a way that is more than just "generational" or "rare."

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Because the generation is full manipulators (samplers) of original music. Not creators of original music. Every album, Stevie sat in front of the piano and tried to write new shyt. Now you have Kanye West and his like skimming through those records looking for a hook or drum he likes, and he's supposed to be one of our goats.

Create!
They been coming at Dr. Dre last couple of days