Higher Learning (1995) APPRECIATION thread.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
20 years old and still as poignant as powerful as the day it was released. :wow:

Higher-Learning-Theatrical-750x400.jpg

IMO John Singleton's most underated film. Watched this again at my family's house on on demand.

The first time I remember watching this movie I was 11...too young to understand the dynamics of racism but it still hit me. Seriously, I'll admit, first time I watched it the end just pissed me off something fierce.

Second time I watched it when I was in college 10 years ago. IT made more of an impact on me thne.

Now, watched it and all I can do is be blown away...powerful movie.

MV5BMTY1ODcyMDA2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTcyNDAxMw@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

f0f55af3e6054b34ce7635bc5e95e276.png

4532728_l1.jpg

remy-632x425.jpg

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
Michael Rappaport and Ice Cube stole the show. Straight up.
It's definitely an underrated movie. One of my favorites. It's themes still resonate today. And it's more relevant then ever, especially on college campuses.
So true.

Loved the whole movie except he r*pe scene, have to turn the channel & the part I hate is Tyra's death seen... It was very bad acting. But Malik came for that ass tho!!

I thought Tyra did a good job in the movie honestly. Considering that was a big role and she played a main character in the film.

When Tyra's character dies...that was soooooooooooooooooooo sad.

Like after I was done watching it the first time I saw that really fukked me up something serious.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
Real talk though....Michael Rap as Remy...probably the most memorable performance I can remember from him.

Seriously though, when Remy hooks-up with teh neo nazis, that shyt was genuinely very unsettling and disturbing. Singleton really hit it on the head with that part.

It's fukked up to think a situation like that just happened in real life not even two weeks ago. Veryt little has changed in America since then.

"1995 C00n!"

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
When Tyra's character dies...that was soooooooooooooooooooo sad.

Like after I was done watching it the first time I saw that really fukked me up something serious.
Yes, & that's what kinda pissed me off like, girl that's ur death scene ? :francis:
But her overall job in the movie was excellent.

And what happened? If u don't mind sharing:hamster:

b. woods

Peace
Daps
:russ: at scene when Remy (Michael Rappaport) is trying to study, Fudge (Cube) and Dreads (Busta) enter the dorm, and Fudge sits across from Remy and turns on the stereo to "Let's Stay Together" to purposely disrupt his studies and force him out of the dorm:

Remy: :upsetfavre: Hey man, how would you feel if you had a hard ass test to study for, and I came in here blasting my music?

Fudge: :stopitslime: I wouldn't feel shyt 'cause that wouldn't happen.

Remy: :upsetfavre: Oh yeah? Why not?

Fudge: :birdman: 'Cause I'd whoop 'yo ass, that's why.

Dreads: (to Remy) :russ: :umad:

:mjlol::laff::dead:

iFightSeagullsForBread

The Working Class Hero
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere in Chicago
:ohhh:I'm shocked how this movie isn't on any top 10 90's film list, because it truly captures that entire period in time.

Rage Against The Machine at it's peak

The simmering of the Pro-Black Renaissance of the late 80's

Feminism (2nd wave) gaining acceptance and noticeable presences on college campuses

Neo-Nazi Skinhead related crimes were making headlines throughout the nation.

Three years removed from the LA Riots and the nations focus on police brutality.

Great film.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
Yes, & that's what kinda pissed me off like, girl that's ur death scene ? :francis:
But her overall job in the movie was excellent.

And what happened? If u don't mind sharing:hamster:
Nothing. Just put me in a bad mood. I was 11 at the time. But stuck long enough in my head to make me appreciate it alot more now.