high rep/low weight vs high weight/low rep

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
please answer this for me in layman's terms. i googled it but i keep getting these long ass articles that dance around the question.

ive always just gone with high weight/low rep (6-8 range) and ill make some decent gains and then stop.

what has worked best for you guys in your experiences?

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
please answer this for me in layman's terms. i googled it but i keep getting these long ass articles that dance around the question.

ive always just gone with high weight/low rep (6-8 range) and ill make some decent gains and then stop.

A mix of trying to hit muscle groups at each type of rep range.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
I cant speak for everybody but I have found that for me, for hypertrophy, keeping compound lifts in the 6-10 rep range and accessories in the 10-12 rep range has worked best

One of my science brehs showed me a recent decent study that said for hypertrophy 60-70% of 1RM is best for gains. That's pretty much what u can do in the 6-12 rep range.

Good for me too because once I get close to my 1RM my joints start screaming

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
In reality the answer is experimenting and find what you respond best to.

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I start with low weights and high reps and work myself up to high weights low reps. So a squat workout might start at 10x135 and end at 3-5x275. I don't know about the science and all that; it started from me wanting to warm up more and I like to try and also push personal best numbers in the same workout. :manny:

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
I start with low weights and high reps and work myself up to high weights low reps. So a squat workout might start at 10x135 and end at 3-5x275. I don't know about the science and all that; it started from me wanting to warm up more and I like to try and also push personal best numbers in the same workout. :manny:

thats kind of what i do. warm up with high reps n then work my way up to a last set of 5 reps of roughly 80% of my 1RM.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Mix it up. Do both.
You will stagnate growth if you just stick with the same routine.

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
Mix it up. Do both.
You will stagnate growth if you just stick with the same routine.

yea thats why im asking. i have always done mostly high weight/low rep and gotten good gains off that. my shoulders get huge fast and so do my tris and chest. my biceps and back also to a smaller degree. but then after a few months i kind of get stuck.

i also read some shyt when i first started working out years ago about how high reps is more for cutting so it has always stopped me from doing too much of that high rep shyt unless im doing abs. its kind of hard to walk in a gym after 3 months of lifting heavy and all of sudden holding back and going ham on a 20 lb dumbell :pachaha:

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
yea thats why im asking. i have always done mostly high weight/low rep and gotten good gains off that. my shoulders get huge fast and so do my tris and chest. my biceps and back also to a smaller degree. but then after a few months i kind of get stuck.

i also read some shyt when i first started working out years ago about how high reps is more for cutting so it has always stopped me from doing too much of that high rep shyt unless im doing abs. its kind of hard to walk in a gym after 3 months of lifting heavy and all of sudden holding back and going ham on a 20 lb dumbell :pachaha:
Yeah. Forget about ego. Doing 20 lbs dumbbell curls might be easy, or even super easy. I suggest supersets of high reps. Start with 25 lbs. do 20 reps Then go down to 20 lbs. Do 20 reps. Then go down to 15 lbs. Do reps. You should be getting a burn or it should feel difficult at the end. No rest between putting down dumbbells.

Hybrinetics

Banned
Daps
8-15 works best for me for building mass. Low reps for strength gains dont necessarily build mass as quick. I know a few people who stick with 1-4 reps, are twice as strong as I am, but look like shyt :lolbron:

Bledswole

Slappin and clowning chumps for fun.
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
5 sets, rep ranges 20,15,12,8,6 best way to go breh, you build size and strength with this