HELP!!! My laptop has a black screen when I turn it on!!!!

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
I didnt spill anything on it or drop it, I just turned it on a few days ago and got nothing on the screen.

Its a toshiba by the way.

Had it since 09', but got important shyt on it and really dont want to lose it.
Get a new computer. That's toast.

Remove the hard drive and buy one of these

It will read your hard drive like a USB stick.

Then connect it to a device you can copy your data to and move it there

Good luck :salute:

And if you're a cac who says the n-word I hope you die.

Daps
I upgraded by installing the windows 10 disc last july, but it wasnt activated. At the bottom right of the screen, it would say "activate windows 10", but it would be grayed out.

I had windows 10, but I didnt have it activated i guess.

Stop with the guesswork. Your problem is hardware, not software. I've repaired these types of devices for over two decades.

Everything working except the display is a telltale sign of a bad inverter, dead backlight or bad LCD screen. There's no need to throw the laptop away as inverters and backlights are cheap. Even a replacment LCD isn't that much. Americans would rather throw out something that is easily and cheaply repairable.

What's the model number on the laptop?

Zime

Superstar
Daps
I didnt spill anything on it or drop it, I just turned it on a few days ago and got nothing on the screen.

Its a toshiba by the way.

Had it since 09', but got important shyt on it and really dont want to lose it.
I also had a Toshiba and the same shyt happened like a year ago. I just decided to buy a new laptop. If you don't wanna lose shyt then take out the harddrive.

Also, sometimes using third party softwares to download new drivers and install them can cause that also, especially if you install the wrong ones.

Big D Bangston

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bama born and bred
Stop with the guesswork. Your problem is hardware, not software. I've repaired these types of devices for over two decades.

Everything working except the display is a telltale sign of a bad inverter, dead backlight or bad LCD screen. There's no need to throw the laptop away as inverters and backlights are cheap. Even a replacment LCD isn't that much. Americans would rather throw out something that is easily and cheaply repairable.

What's the model number on the laptop?

Toshiba satellite L455D-S5976

Last edited:
Daps
Toshiba satellite L455D-S5976

Take off your screen cover using the video below from the beginning to the 1:35 mark.

At the 1:53 mark, that green, thin rectangle between the screen and the top of the keyboard area is the inverter. Disconnect both plastic male connectors from it. You might need to unscrew it. Look for the model number on the inverter and input those numbers in Amazon or Ebay to order a replacement.

Once it arrives, insert the new inverter, connect the plastic male connectors, reset the inverter screws, snap the screen cover back in place and reset the screen cover screws.

If it's still black, you have a bad backlight or dead LCD screen. Replacing a backlight is a very delicate operation. So you might have to go with a replacement LCD screen as the backlight repair labor cost would probably be more than the screen.

Replacement LCD for your Toshiba are $50 on Amazon. If that's the route you want to take, use view the rest of the video above.

Last edited: