Hell Or High Water - Bridges, Pine & Foster from the director of Starred Up & the writer of Sicario

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Finally watched this.

Ashamed it took me this long.

I fukking loved it.

This is a 10/10 and I already know will be a film I watch repeatedly.

Bridges and foster had the showier roles but Chris pine's understated performance is what made the film.

For some reason the movie reminded me of tom hardy and the drop.

Understated performance with a somewhat cliche plot and a final 10 minutes that really binds the film's together.

That ending scene with bridges and pine was phenomenonal

10/10

Last edited:

hostsamurai

Demon King Of Salvation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London
I liked how in the first couple scenes they gave some backstory(no jobs, foreclosures, dying town) without actually bashing the audience over the head and treating us like we're dumb, like with Nocturnal Animals.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Finally watched this.

Ashamed it took me this long.

I fukking loved it.

This is a 10/10 and I already know will be a film I watch repeatedly.

Bridges and foster had the showier roles but Chris pine's understated performance is what made the film.

For some reason the movie reminded me of tom hardy and the drop.

Understated performance with a somewhat cliche plot and a final 10 minutes that really binds the film's together.

That ending scene with bridges and pine was phenomenonal

10/10
Pretty good movie, but definitely not a 10. That's Godfather levels. :francis:

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
What's flawed about the film?
Movie is an 8.

It gets in, gets out, makes it point, and ends clean. Executes everything well. It's the type of movie that gets very high reviews exactly because it doesn't have any flaws, but falls well short of being a classic. In order to do that, you have to take some sort of risk. There are no iconic scenes in the movie, no legendary characters. It tackles a very real, hot button issue, and does it in a way that's logical but lacking any real lingering gravitas. Doesn't spawn any discussion, doesn't really call for deeper thought. The main characters don't even really question there own motivation. It's a pretty cut and dry film, one that's done very well. Dialogue is good, nothing special, action scenes are solid, nothing especially memorable, dazzling, or visceral.

And honestly, the BIGGEST reason it falls short of classic, is that it so closely resembles a genuine modern day classic in No Country for Old Men that does all of these things in spades. And when you're only being compared and coming up short to the Coen's or Villenueve's it's an honor, and perfectly okay to come up short. Still came up short, though.

Like @Ebonic Plague there just isn't any reason to watch it again aside from a few years down the road when the particulars of the plot and scenes get fuzzy enough to be entertained by them again.

Last edited:

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Movie is an 8.

It gets in, gets out, makes it point, and ends clean. Executes everything well. It's the type of movie that gets very high reviews exactly because it doesn't have any flaws, but falls well short of being a classic. In order to do that, you have to take some sort of risk. There are no iconic scenes in the movie, no legendary characters. It tackles a very real, hot button issue, and does it in a way that's logical but lacking any real lingering gravitas. Doesn't spawn any discussion, doesn't really call for deeper thought. The main characters don't even really question there own motivation. It's a pretty cut and dry film, one that's done very well.

And honestly, the BIGGEST reason it falls short of classic, is that it so closely resembles a genuine modern day classic in No Country for Old Men that does all of these things in spades.

Like @Ebonic Plague there just isn't any reason to watch it again aside from a few years down the road when the particulars of the plot and scenes get fuzzy enough to be entertained by them again.
Good post.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Well,it's a 10 to me.

And the ending scene between bridges and pine is a scene I will always remember,so it's iconic to me.

It's right there with sicario and no country for old men for me.

The ending of hell or high water was much better than no country for old men's.

It's a 10.

Matter of fact I'm going to watch it a 4th time tonight.

Th3G3ntleman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Fantastic fukking movie btw. Just watched it this morning holy shyt. Was such a randomly fun movie

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Sicario > Wind River > Hell Or High Water in terms of the Prarie Trilogy.