Heart Rate Monitor / Fitness Tracker

sinistersouth

Banned
Daps
Reppin
New York City. I mean Kansas.
what's a good, inexpensive heart rate monitor and/or fitness tracker for mainly stationary bike, calisthenics, and weight lifting? i just started looking into monitors and am about ready to give up because practically none mention either of the 3. i can't be the only one that wants one for those uses. i want to track heart rate in real time and calories burned, even if i have to figure out the latter with info on the former, manually

all these things seem to want to track you via gps but im not going anywhere

Last edited:

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
what's a good, inexpensive heart rate monitor and/or fitness tracker for mainly stationary bike, calisthenics, and weight lifting? i just started looking into monitors and am about ready to give up because practically none mention either of the 3. i can't be the only one that wants one for those uses. i want to track heart rate in real time and calories burned, even if i have to figure out the latter with info on the former, manually

all these things seem to want to track you via gps but im not going anywhere

I've put more than a few cats on here on.

Get a polar H7 eBay, Amazon. You can get 1 for less than $30.

Download polar beat on any device. You can track your stats live and it saves them to an online acct which is free and you can use it for tracking purposes. I've had it for more than a decade.

IMG-20190922-2222205.jpg

Put the strap on and get to work

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland

Download polar beat on any device. You can track your stats live and it saves them to an online acct which is free and you can use it for tracking purposes. I've had it for more than a decade.

came to mention polar, IMO the only "near accurate" HRM is one with a chest strap (not these fitbits or even apple watches). you can get one of the polar watches to go with it or just skip it and do like you said, run the app from your phone. i have a watch because i like to check during stuff like lifting, kickboxing, boot camp and can't keep getting to my phone during that stuff

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
came to mention polar, IMO the only "near accurate" HRM is one with a chest strap (not these fitbits or even apple watches). you can get one of the polar watches to go with it or just skip it and do like you said, run the app from your phone. i have a watch because i like to check during stuff like lifting, kickboxing, boot camp and can't keep getting to my phone during that stuff

I had the polar watch (and still do) before smartphones were even a thing.

The watch would be over budget. Fortunately the apps do the same things as the high end watches but like you said you can't just glance at your phone like you can a watch.

It depends on what your doing though, I do fitness boxing, pushups, squats, treadmill....in fact anything and everything I do not use GPS for I use my phone cause I can turn my head or glance at the screen.

If I need GPS like riding or running, I use my polar watch because it has GPS on it. So rather than burn out my phone battery using active GPS and Bluetooth. I just use my watch.

Pretty much any indoor workout I use a device cause there are audible alarms when I enter certain zones. There are audio notifications
When goals are hit and stuff.

Watch or phone/tablet you can't go wrong with polar. Polar first and foremost is a heart rate monitor company, fitbit Apple and everyone else are not. There main focus is not on that type of tech. It's just something they say "oh hey we kind of do this too!"

Think of those like a multitool. It might have a Lil blade on it, a Phillips head, flat head, some other stuff. They are somewhat functional but to get the best of any of those tools you just need the one singular tool designed to get the job done. Polar is that singular company for heart rate monitors and tech.

MustafaSTL

Achievement In Every Field of Human Endeavor
Daps
I know you said inexpensive, but my Apple Watch is :brutuswow:

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!

IMG-20190922-2222205.jpg

I was going to say Polar H10 + Polar Beat app, but you're right...the h10 is overkill if you can get the H7 cheaper and don't care about the memory functions:
Why the Polar H10 heart rate monitor bests the H7

The H10 strap is improved over the H7 strap though. I find that the H10 strap doesn't lose contact as much as the old H7 strap did. (If you have an old H7 you can use the newer strap with it).

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
. I find that the H10 strap doesn't lose contact as much as the old H7 strap did.

When you say lose contact, what does that mean?

The only benefit the h10 has over the h7 is the ability for the h10 to save training data and wireless ant+ technology.

The h10 saving data isn't really a big deal. I can see how it's useful. When I use my watch I'll go days before I sync my data to polar flow and vice versa, I'll go days without syncing my data from polar flow to my watch which in turn give me all my data. So with that being said someone could just workout and sync their data in bulk at the end of the week or whatever or month since it has the capability to save a lot of data. For me I usually sync via Bluetooth from my watch to polar flow on my phone while I'm showering or driving back from the bike trail or just driving in general. It literally takes 2-3 minutes.

The ant technology is readily available yet it's not a determining factor to buy for me yet because I still go to gyms that have treadmills, ellipticals and bikes that don't even have standard Bluetooth therefore it's a waste of a feature that's not easily acceptable or common enough for me to pay extra for.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
When you say lose contact, what does that mean?

The only benefit the h10 has over the h7 is the ability for the h10 to save training data and wireless ant+ technology.

The h10 saving data isn't really a big deal. I can see how it's useful. When I use my watch I'll go days before I sync my data to polar flow and vice versa, I'll go days without syncing my data from polar flow to my watch which in turn give me all my data. So with that being said someone could just workout and sync their data in bulk at the end of the week or whatever or month since it has the capability to save a lot of data. For me I usually sync via Bluetooth from my watch to polar flow on my phone while I'm showering or driving back from the bike trail or just driving in general. It literally takes 2-3 minutes.

The ant technology is readily available yet it's not a determining factor to buy for me yet because I still go to gyms that have treadmills, ellipticals and bikes that don't even have standard Bluetooth therefore it's a waste of a feature that's not easily acceptable or common enough for me to pay extra for.

The newer soft strap included with the H10 has more electrodes spread out to the sides. I found a picture of it:
vlcsnap-2017-01-05-10h31m49s200.png

The older strap that came with the H7 just had the electrodes in the middle, not the extra "D" shaped ones you see in this screenshot.
Its not a huge change, but the older strap would sometimes give poor readings when you first start working out if it isn't properly wet. When you're moving the middle of the strap can "pop" off of your chest a little, so the heart rate data would be a little off for the first couple of minutes. Usually it got better once it got more sweat on it.

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The newer soft strap included with the H10 has more electrodes spread out to the sides. I found a picture of it:
vlcsnap-2017-01-05-10h31m49s200.png

The older strap that came with the H7 just had the electrodes in the middle, not the extra "D" shaped ones you see in this screenshot.
Its not a huge change, but the older strap would sometimes give poor readings when you first start working out if it isn't properly wet. When you're moving the middle of the strap can "pop" off of your chest a little, so the heart rate data would be a little off for the first couple of minutes. Usually it got better once it got more sweat on it.

Dope. I've never experienced any of the issues other consumers had with straps because my shyt was tight and I got it wet and started immediately and since I worked out hard I actually sweated. Having seen cats put them on, then sit down for 20 minutes then do 10 curls and sit for another 20 then say it ain't working, I know that they actually work.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
Dope. I've never experienced any of the issues other consumers had with straps because my shyt was tight and I got it wet and started immediately and since I worked out hard I actually sweated. Having seen cats put them on, then sit down for 20 minutes then do 10 curls and sit for another 20 then say it ain't working, I know that they actually work.
Here's an article from 2010 with an example of what your HRM chart looks like when the "problem" happens:
Troubleshooting your heart rate monitor/strap HR spikes

1) Sweat: This first one is a bit obvious – but will explain why the problem often goes away after just a few minutes of activity. Once you start sweating it introduces moisture which in turn improves conductivity. This in turn makes the HR strap happy and you get better readings. So basically…work harder.

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Here's an article from 2010 with an example of what your HRM chart looks like when the "problem" happens:
Troubleshooting your heart rate monitor/strap HR spikes

I can see that. The body is weird. Depending on how your working out and the conditions, environment, temp, etc...some people don't sweat on their core or a lot, yet some people easily sweat around the chest/titty area.

I've noticed within the last 2-3 years or so I sweat a lot on my shoulders and upper arms as well as the back of my neck and shoulders.

One of my workouts I've done for over a decade is jumping rope to 1000 calories using my polar hr monitor. I use to sweat but idk I've been sweating like crazy on my shoulders back of my neck and upper chest. I love it but it's just something I noticed having continually worked out so I can see people getting improper readings. There's a reason there's lubricant gel that people use for heart rate straps to maintain readings--- they ain't sweating or sweating enough.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I was going to say Polar H10 + Polar Beat app, but you're right...the h10 is overkill if you can get the H7 cheaper and don't care about the memory functions:
Why the Polar H10 heart rate monitor bests the H7

The H10 strap is improved over the H7 strap though. I find that the H10 strap doesn't lose contact as much as the old H7 strap did. (If you have an old H7 you can use the newer strap with it).
might be time for me to upgrade my strap again, i find i'm fiddly with the H7 a lot, even in SS cardio like spin, the shyt isn't staying right and when i know i'm working at 85-90% MHR, I'm getting readings in the low 70's

but question to you and @nikkahs B. Wildin how far is the range for the bluetooth connection from the HRM to your phone? i use the app when i'm on the tread, or outdoor walking/jogging, or in spin, everything else i have my watch on. but i'm just starting Muay Thai and so obviously can't wear the watch, i'm wondering if i'll have a steady connection to my phone if i start using the app during this training