HBO officially has four Game of Thrones spinoffs in development - Update: GRRM says possibly five

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Nah. This isn't desperate. the world is so huge. And it has stories that can be mined for decades like the Star Wars Universe. This is the smart and correct move.
I agree.

The Walking Dead universe is spread thin in comparison to the vast A Song of Ice and Fire universe that already had dozens of complete stories available to adapt.

Just looking at the history and lore animation on the dvds show seasons worth of material just begging to be adapted to the small screen. It would be stupid not to

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Nah. This isn't desperate. the world is so huge. And it has stories that can be mined for decades like the Star Wars Universe. This is the smart and correct move.
I realize that. and it's good GRR is involved, but it sounds like benioff and Weiss would not be showrunners.

I'm kinda getting sick of all these tv spinoffs in general too. I want something fresh

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
pJ9zk_s-200x150.gif

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think they'll go with Robert's Rebellion just because we already know and care about the central characters.

Otherwise Dunk and Egg so we can see a trail of seven.

Dunk and Egg seems a little too kiddie for HBO. It's like a more adult version of The Hobbit. I need Robert's Rebellion and other stories from GOT universe.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
I think they'll go with Robert's Rebellion just because we already know and care about the central characters.

Otherwise Dunk and Egg so we can see a trail of seven.
If I'm making a bet, I'm putting money on Aegon's Conquest.

Robert's Rebellion would require recasting younger versions of Jaime, Oberyn, The Hound, The Mountain, Tyrion, Cersei, Tywin, Catelyn, Lysa, Littlefinger, and so many others that it might feel cheap to see so many new faces trying to live up to our idea of the characters from Game of Thrones. It might be too hard to distance itself from Game of Thrones with so many comparisons of "young Cersei sucks compared to Lena Heady's performance." I can already foresee #ThisAintMyTyrion.

It could still happen, definitely because it might also be cheaper with no dragons or white walkers or direwolves, but I have a feeling they would want to create more distance from Game of Thrones with whatever spinoff they chose.

Also, I think in the end they will go with whatever series GRRM is working on, and I'm almost certain GRRM is working with the writers that will expand his world rather than retelling Robert's Rebellion. That rebellion has already been featured so much, with flashbacks to boot.

The World of Ice and Fire book that he contributed to makes me feel like he wants more people to get invested in characters and stories and lore from the other eras he has written, and not just mine the same stories from the Game of Thrones time period.

Ultimately it will be up to HBO though.

Last edited:
Daps
If I'm making a bet, I think it will be Aegon's Conquest.

Robert's Rebellion would require recasting younger versions of Jaime, Cersei, Tywin, Catelyn, Lysa, Littlefinger, and so many others that it might feel cheap to see so many new faces trying to live up to our idea of the characters from Game of Thrones. It might be too hard to distance itself from Game of Thrones with so many comparisons of "young Cersei sucks compared to Lena Heady's performance" or whatever.

It could still happen, definitely because it might also be cheaper with no dragons or white walkers or direwolves, but I have a feeling they would want to create more distance from Game of Thrones with whatever spinoff they choose. Also, I think in the end they will go with whatever series GRRM is closest to, and I'm almost certain GRRM would rather them focus on a story that expands his world rather than retelling Robert's Rebellion since it has already been so focused on in the series.

The World of Ice and Fire book that he contributed to makes me feel like he wants more people to get invested in characters and stories and lore from the other eras he has written, and not just mine the same stories from the Game of Thrones time period.

Ultimately it will be up to HBO though.

I hope it will be the Conquest or the first dance with dragons.
The cost of doing all those dragons may turn HBO off from that though.
Now that I think about it I agree with you. Aegon's conquest would be the best. We would see how many of the great houses ended up where they are in GOT.
We heard so much about Harrenhall that I want to see the destruction of it.

For the world of ice and fire I think that could go well as an animated series. But depending on how well this spin off goes we could get more.

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim
It is when this GoT is basically all the network has. Cant name a show on HBO besides this and WestWorld :manny:

yeahisaidit

All Star
Daps
My guesses:

Aegon's Conquest
The Dance of Dragons (The war between the Greens & The Blacks. GRRM also wrote a more detailed version of this story that he planned to release after ASOIAF)
Dunk & Egg, including the events at Summerhall/Rhaegar's birth
Robert's Rebellion

I'm SOOO here for Robert's Rebellion and The Dance of Dragons, but I'd give anything to see the Blackfyre Rebellions. Blackfyre rebellions >>> Robert's Rebellion.