HBO officially has four Game of Thrones spinoffs in development - Update: GRRM says possibly five

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Game of Thrones Spinoffs Officially in Development, with George R.R. Martin Involved

The-World-of-Ice-and-Fire7.jpg

HBO has closed deals for writers to begin work on four potential Game of Thrones prequel series, IGN has learned.

Each of the writers is exploring various time periods set in George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire universe. The screenwriters for the different potential projects are Max Borenstein (Godzilla, Kong: Skull Island); Jane Goldman (Kingsman: The Secret Service) and George R.R. Martin; Brian Helgeland (LA: Confidential, Robin Hood); and Carly Wray (Mad Men, The Leftovers) and George R.R. Martin.

The-World-of-Ice-and-Fire8.jpg

Martin and Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss will serve as executive producers on all projects.
Both Benioff and Weiss are notably absent from the writing teams for potential spinoffs, though. The duo is currently finishing production on Season 7 of Game of Thrones, and Benioff and Weiss are already writing and preparing for the eighth -- and final -- season. As expected and as they have said in the past, they will not be writing any of these other ASoIaF-set projects.

HBO has not set any expected timetable or target release dates for any of the series, and are planning on letting the writers take their time as they develop these new projects. Make sure to stay tuned to IGN for all updates on the four projects when and if HBO moves forward with them -- and hopefully picks at least one up to series.

A Game of Thrones spinoff series has been discussed for years, with Martin repeatedly saying he is open to the idea and in active discussions with HBO. Considering the ground-breaking success of the fantasy adaptation, it's no surprise that the network is hoping to keep the Westeros-fever alive even after Thrones reaches its conclusion in Season 8.

The-World-of-Ice-and-Fire5.jpg

There are numerous published stories these writers could draw upon for a potential spinoff. Martin's Dunk and Egg novellas, which are set about a century before the events of Game of Thrones, are likely contenders for at least getting a spinoff treatment. A series based on Robert's Rebellion -- aka the sequence of events that led Robert Baratheon to be king and overthrow the Targaryens -- is also a frequently speculated and hoped-for spinoff concept.

The-World-of-Ice-and-Fire10.jpg

Make sure to read IGN's list of the four Game of Thrones spinoffs we would definitely watch. Fingers crossed at least one of these writers is conceptualizing what a TV show about the fall of Valyria would look like.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05...in-development-with-george-rr-martin-involved

Last edited:

Tical

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I like the idea but none of those writers jump out at me. Would think that they could get bigger names.

Wonder why GRRM is only involved in writing 2 of the 4. Maybe those 2 are original ideas and the other 2 are adaptions?

Also wonder how many of the 4 are miniseries vs regular series.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
I'm pretty sure they will only pick one out of the four, but I do wish we could get one live action and one animated series. The art I see of this show, plus the stuff they do with the blu ray dvd has made me long for a blood soaked animated series.

I think they could also consider an anthology series set in the universe, ala True Detective or Fargo. Have each season tackle a different time period. But I'm not sure that would get the consistent ratings that they would want.

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I like the idea but none of those writers jump out at me. Would think that they could get bigger names.

Wonder why GRRM is only involved in writing 2 of the 4. Maybe those 2 are original ideas and the other 2 are adaptions?

Also wonder how many of the 4 are miniseries vs regular series.

Brian Hegeland is one of the greatest and biggest screenwriters in the biz. The fact they got him on board speaks volumes! Jane Goldman is also a big writer.

I'm very intrigued about this. I think they will pick 2 series up from the 4. One of them has to be Robert's Rebellion. We can get 1 or 2 seasons out of that. I'd rather that then see them make a movie out of it. 2 hours couldn't do that take justice.