HBCU Alumni Giving Rates

Road20

All Star
Daps
Reppin
the Yay 510
Great post brotha @Get These Nets. You always posting postive stuff especially in the HBCUs.

As I mentioned before it ain't just about alumni donating. Regular folks who didn't go to those schools need to donate too (cause best believe they do that at the PWIs). And I say this as someone who donates to Jackson State and Langston every year.

Dope. I graduated from LU in 04. It's a great school

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Howard University Announces $5 Million Gift from Eddie and Sylvia Brown to Support GRACE Grant for Students

October 12, 2021

Gift from esteemed alumni couple marks the largest alumni donation in Howard history

iu

Howard University is pleased to announce a $5 million gift from Eddie C. Brown (B.S.E.E. ’61) and C. Sylvia Brown (B.S. ’62) to support the Graduation Retention Access to Continued Excellence (GRACE) Grant for students facing financial barriers. Eddie Brown is the founder, chairman and CEO of Brown Capital Management, a Baltimore-based asset management firm that is the second oldest African-American-owned investment management firm in the world. This gift marks the largest alumni gift to Howard University in the school’s history.

“We are extremely grateful to Eddie and Sylvia for making this historic gift to Howard University,” said Howard University President Dr. Wayne A. I. Frederick. “The GRACE Grant has helped to eliminate financial barriers to education for Howard students, and I am thrilled that the Browns were inspired to commit such a generous gift to this important fund. My hope is that students will be inspired by their story and generosity and that others in our alumni community will consider the many ways they, too, can impact current and future generations of Howard students.”

The Browns met on Howard University’s campus in 1957. Eddie came to Howard from Allentown, Pennsylvania at just 16 years old as a student in the College of Engineering, and Sylvia came to Howard from King William, Virginia as a student in what was then the College of Liberal Arts. While equally committed to education, the couple recall two very different stories as it pertains to their opportunities to pursue a college education. Whereas Sylvia came from a family of educators and always knew she had the support to pursue higher education, Eddie’s journey to Howard was made possible because of a caring teacher and anonymous “angel” donor.

“I moved to Allentown, Pennsylvania when I was 15,” said Eddie. “We had a community organizer that would look out for the young Black children in the community. He came to me and my mother one day and said, ‘I was contacted by a woman who wants to help a young African-American student go to college.’ And it was my 10th grade English teacher, actually, who was a graduate of Howard [who] said, ‘You should go to Howard University.’”

At the time, Eddie was one of only seven Black students in his class at Allentown High School. Just three of the seven students were in college preparatory classes, and the other two students had the financial means to go to college. Because he came from a low-income family, Eddie was chosen to receive a scholarship that covered his tuition, room and board, and textbooks during his time at Howard.

This story and their mutual love for Howard is what inspired the couple to contribute the historic gift in support of the GRACE Grant. This gift represents what Sylvia says is not giving back, but “paying it forward.”

“We were very fortunate to be able to go to Howard,” she said. “I had student loans, and I know how hard that is. Being from a family of four, my parents did the best they could, but that was never enough to pay for all the fees. And that’s been our mantra, to give to others and help them at least be able to get an undergraduate degree so they have a good foundation.”

The GRACE Grant was established by President Frederick to help remove any financial barriers for students and encourage on-time graduation for students who successfully completed their freshman year. This need-based program, created in 2014, provides a 100 percent match for students who receive the maximum Federal Pell Grant and provides additional funding for those with an expected family contribution (EFC) of $0.

The impact of the GRACE Grant is clear. Since its inception, GRACE recipients saw an average 17 percent increase in retention and an average four-year graduation rate of 78 percent, a 32 percent increase compared to students in the same financial category who did not receive GRACE funds.

“I remember a minister of ours said something that we never forgot,” said Eddie. “That those who are blessed should be a blessing to someone, especially those less fortunate. We always remember that. I was blessed to receive my college education debt free, and I think it’s important to offer those less fortunate the opportunity to do so as well.”

“Our only hope is that students who benefit from our contribution do their best,” said Sylvia.

Last edited:

Krisrunner2049

Pretty boi CFO Squirrels Burgers KillaKwuads
Daps
Reppin
Downtown LA(cityboi)
Cuz nikkas never wanna help other nikkas succeed:mjpls:work hard and grind youngin:mjpls:white man don’t owe you shyt:mjpls:break the generational curse:mjpls:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority launches scholarship campaign for HBCUs in the state

Jan. 19, 2022
JACKSON, Miss. (WLBT) - Insuring higher education for African American students here in the Magnolia State is the focus of an initiative by Delta Sigma Theta’s Jackson Chapter.

The organization brought together presidents of all five Historically Black Colleges and Universities to launch a scholarship funding raising campaign.

“HBCUs serve such a high purpose in our community,” said Gwen Handy, president of the Jackson MS Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc.

To help African American students reach their educational goals, the sorority launched a scholarship campaign for all five schools. The goal is to raise $100,000 for Alcorn State, Jackson State, Mississippi Valley State, Rust and Tougaloo Colleges.

“It will impact students. It will allow scholarships for those high school seniors who are trying to attend an HBCU,” said Handy. “It would also help those students who are currently attending HBCUs continue their education.”

“It’s rare, believe it or not, that all of the state HBCUs are together in a specific forum,” said JSU President Thomas Hudson.

The Jackson State University graduate was among the college leaders in the virtual meeting Delta hosted to announce the fundraiser.

“We’re different. We have different interests,” said Hudson. “We have different missions, but we all have the same overall, over arching mission, and that’s to help educate African Americans and to really bring about equality in this state and the United States.”

Coach Prime, Deion Sanders, has brought new attention HBCUs and they hope to build on that momentum.

“It’s wonderful to get that recognition that HBCUs deserve,” Hudson added. “We’ve been here a long time educating students, really being that bright light in the community.”

Each school will be featured on the Jackson MS Alumnae Chapter’s Facebook page taking donations through May 31. For more information you can also email president@Jacksonmsalumnaechapter.org.

The Women’s Foundation and Renasant Bank are helping to sponsor the fundraiser

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Do regular universities get a bunch more? I get those donations request from mine and throw it away
Donating to a university is retarded. Not only are most of them tax exempt, but they after also sitting on endowments and are reasonable tuitions at am exponential rate. And don't let me get into Athletics, which for football and basketball is nothing more than indentured servitude.

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
Donating to a university is retarded. Not only are most of them tax exempt, but they after also sitting on endowments and are reasonable tuitions at am exponential rate. And don't let me get into Athletics, which for football and basketball is nothing more than indentured servitude.

this makes no sense especially concerning HBCUs in the South

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
Howard University Announces $5 Million Gift from Eddie and Sylvia Brown to Support GRACE Grant for Students

October 12, 2021

Gift from esteemed alumni couple marks the largest alumni donation in Howard history

iu

Howard University is pleased to announce a $5 million gift from Eddie C. Brown (B.S.E.E. ’61) and C. Sylvia Brown (B.S. ’62) to support the Graduation Retention Access to Continued Excellence (GRACE) Grant for students facing financial barriers. Eddie Brown is the founder, chairman and CEO of Brown Capital Management, a Baltimore-based asset management firm that is the second oldest African-American-owned investment management firm in the world. This gift marks the largest alumni gift to Howard University in the school’s history.

“We are extremely grateful to Eddie and Sylvia for making this historic gift to Howard University,” said Howard University President Dr. Wayne A. I. Frederick. “The GRACE Grant has helped to eliminate financial barriers to education for Howard students, and I am thrilled that the Browns were inspired to commit such a generous gift to this important fund. My hope is that students will be inspired by their story and generosity and that others in our alumni community will consider the many ways they, too, can impact current and future generations of Howard students.”

The Browns met on Howard University’s campus in 1957. Eddie came to Howard from Allentown, Pennsylvania at just 16 years old as a student in the College of Engineering, and Sylvia came to Howard from King William, Virginia as a student in what was then the College of Liberal Arts. While equally committed to education, the couple recall two very different stories as it pertains to their opportunities to pursue a college education. Whereas Sylvia came from a family of educators and always knew she had the support to pursue higher education, Eddie’s journey to Howard was made possible because of a caring teacher and anonymous “angel” donor.

“I moved to Allentown, Pennsylvania when I was 15,” said Eddie. “We had a community organizer that would look out for the young Black children in the community. He came to me and my mother one day and said, ‘I was contacted by a woman who wants to help a young African-American student go to college.’ And it was my 10th grade English teacher, actually, who was a graduate of Howard [who] said, ‘You should go to Howard University.’”

At the time, Eddie was one of only seven Black students in his class at Allentown High School. Just three of the seven students were in college preparatory classes, and the other two students had the financial means to go to college. Because he came from a low-income family, Eddie was chosen to receive a scholarship that covered his tuition, room and board, and textbooks during his time at Howard.

This story and their mutual love for Howard is what inspired the couple to contribute the historic gift in support of the GRACE Grant. This gift represents what Sylvia says is not giving back, but “paying it forward.”

“We were very fortunate to be able to go to Howard,” she said. “I had student loans, and I know how hard that is. Being from a family of four, my parents did the best they could, but that was never enough to pay for all the fees. And that’s been our mantra, to give to others and help them at least be able to get an undergraduate degree so they have a good foundation.”

The GRACE Grant was established by President Frederick to help remove any financial barriers for students and encourage on-time graduation for students who successfully completed their freshman year. This need-based program, created in 2014, provides a 100 percent match for students who receive the maximum Federal Pell Grant and provides additional funding for those with an expected family contribution (EFC) of $0.

The impact of the GRACE Grant is clear. Since its inception, GRACE recipients saw an average 17 percent increase in retention and an average four-year graduation rate of 78 percent, a 32 percent increase compared to students in the same financial category who did not receive GRACE funds.

“I remember a minister of ours said something that we never forgot,” said Eddie. “That those who are blessed should be a blessing to someone, especially those less fortunate. We always remember that. I was blessed to receive my college education debt free, and I think it’s important to offer those less fortunate the opportunity to do so as well.”

“Our only hope is that students who benefit from our contribution do their best,” said Sylvia.

One of the greatest minds in finance that people barely know about. What is fascinating is that he is based in Baltimore (as opposed to NYC Wall Street) in addition it is glad to see that he went to a HBCU. I admire this guy immensely.

Eddie Brown’s Fund Beat 99% of Its Peers by Picking Exceptional Stocks — and Employees

How One of the Nation's Largest Black Asset Managers Uses His Vast Wealth To Remake Baltimore

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
McDonald’s® USA and Media Entrepreneur Roland S. Martin Launch Scholarship to Help HBCU Students on the Path to Graduation

HBCU%201168x520.jpg

(CHICAGO) Jan. 19, 2022 – McDonald’s USA and Roland S. Martin, a lifetime member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., are awarding more than $100,000 in scholarships to rising juniors and seniors attending Historically Black Colleges & Universities (HBCUs). The effort, in honor of the fraternity’s 115 years of scholarship and Black excellence, is to help address the often-insurmountable financial challenges faced by HBCU students attempting to fund a four-year college education.

Black College and Universities (HBCUs) and Predominantly Black Institutions (PBIs) within the TMCF 47 member-school network. Seven (7) scholars will be selected to receive a need-based scholarship for up to $15,000 for the 2022-2023 academic school year (which can only be applied to verifiable costs associated with average tuition and usual fees).

Application Dates

This application opens January 17, 2022 and closes February 28, 2022 12:00 p.m. (Noon) EST

2022-2023 TMCF | McDonald’s x Roland S. Martin Scholarship | Thurgood Marshall College Fund