Has there been a more perfect trilogy in cinema history than the lord of the rings

Daps
Reppin
NULL
tumblr_nudnyji97l1qg2p2fo1_500.gif

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
It’s cool to shyt on Star Wars nowadays, but bar none that was the greatest trilogy with by far the greatest impact in so many ways. Any child of the 80s came up a Stan.

I loved LotR they’re very rewatchable but the post-movies wake is nothing like SW. Directors and writers are still jacking SW elements without even thinking about it because it’s so ingrained in our societal memory.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
As good as the original star wars flicks are I think lotr might be better... I just feel it's more fleshed out because Tolkien is one of the best fantasy writers in history & Lucas isn't and was making shyt up on the fly. Although kasdan wrote the script, it all came from Lucas

Last edited:

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps
It’s cool to shyt on Star Wars nowadays, but bar none that was the greatest trilogy with by far the greatest impact in so many ways. Any child of the 80s came up a Stan.

I loved LotR they’re very rewatchable but the post-movies wake is nothing like SW. Directors and writers are still jacking SW elements without even thinking about it because it’s so ingrained in our societal memory.

Return of the Jedi was always the weak link of the OG trilogy, it was a flawed film with a perfect ending........until the Rey sagas destroyed that ending.:scust:

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps

I liked three but IMO it doesn’t hold up to the other two. It is slowly becoming a caricature of its self.

There are some good arguments in here but I just feel LOTR takes it. Even the films that don’t dive of the deep end still manage to stumble to the finish line.

TheAlbionist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London
The problem with LOTR movies is the same as the LOTR books (which I was a fan of as a kid) - the world-building is incredible, but the story is about as basic and by-numbers as you could write just to show off the world. The only truly great things are the performance/cgi for Smeagol and a couple of the big battles.

Tolkien's legacy is best experienced through Maurice Druon and George RR Martin, who took the world-building method and then *actually wrote stories* but neither of them have made it into cinemas (yet).

The (original) Star Wars trilogy built a universe that people have wanted to come back to for 30 years, held secrets back, genuinely shocked audiences in Episode 5 and was so successful it basically invented the movie merchandise market.

Step the fukk off.

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
I like the first LOTR, the second one I lose some attention and the third one is a total chore to get through.

The story is too simple for 3 films that are so long, although I respect the scale and the visuals.

I'd say the Before trilogy (until they make a 4th film), Godfather (3 is really not that bad), Naked Gun, Samurai trilogy.