Has anyone tried the Water Only Method?

PinotNoir

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I'm trying it now after watching Naptural85's video.

Everyone's video on this is sooooo long. (about 10-15 mins)

The Water Only Method is using washing you hair with water only, and conditioning with your scalps natural sebum. You massage your scalp and spread the oils on the ends, and down the strands of your hair. You clean your scalp by lighting scratching your scalp. People call it scritching, because you know someone is always trying reinvent the wheel,

My routine includes water washing/rinsing every 3-4 days or whenever my scalp feels dry.
Spraying with a mix of half Aloe Juice/ half water, morning and night, and using coconut oil to detangle and seal. Coconut oil also helps prevent hydral fatigue.
I also use a protein conditioner every two weeks, or when I see my hair is over-moisturized. (When you stretch your hair and it doesn't spring/curl back.

That's basicallly it.

As for styling:
After washing, I do two flat-twists under the showerhead to help with detangling, and help keep my strands stretched. I wear it in that crown halo style for a day or two to dry. Next day, I wear my hair in a flat twist out or in a bun.
At night, I spray my hair again with aloe and coconut oil or a lil conditioner and put it into 4 twists, then wake up with a gorgeous twist out. Boom done!

My hair has been thriving from all the moisture and chilling in the flat twists.

I tried it for about a week some years ago and didn't like it because I felt like my scalp wasn't clean. Also some people this works well for but not me. I use shampoo on my hair once a month and wash with conditioner weekly and this works great. I use honey suckle rose moisturizing conditioner by Aubrey which I buy from the vitamin shoppe and shampoo is mane-n-tail. These have been my staple for the past six years.

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
Yeah, I wouldn't get caught up with the name. It's basically just frequent rinsing. That's where all the benefits come from, that's why their hair is so moisturized. They say water only but still use other products.

Banana baby food, honey, avocado, conditioner, ACV, bentonite clay or baking soda for cleansing, all kinds of other stuff lol.

I think the main thing is just to use all natural products.

MoonGoddess

Packing All The Flavour You Need
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fantasy.
I have dermatitis not sure if the frequent moisture would help or hinder that, plus i work in a office with the ac on frigid. I would get sick because my hair would never be dry.

Phoenix_Knightly23

Out of TLR and into the light :blessed:
Supporter
Daps
I want to do this but I dont want to have to massage my own scalp..lol

.༼-◕_◕-༽.

.༼-◕_◕-༽.
Daps
Reppin
Dona Nobis Pacem
I wash my hair almost daily in the summer with shampoo and conditioner. My scalp would feel too icky without the shampoo.

Nothing like the feeling of fresh clean hair and scalp.

Ms.CuriousCat

All Star
Daps
I started doing this about 2 weeks ago now. I wash my hair everyday with water and use sulphate-free conditioner to detangle (Elvive colour bought in a hurry).

@CinnaSlim I saw that exact same video which is why I thought I'd give it a go and I am loving the results. Every time I think I should shampoo it I notice how dry some of my strands look even after 2 weeks of not using shampoo (makes you wonder whether shampoo should be used on afro hair to begin with).

At some point I will shampoo my hair (I bought mizani sulphate-free, that shyt is extortionate). But I think I'll straighten my hair when I do so I can let the oil from my scalp run down my hair shaft more easily.

I also did a nano-keratin treatment so not sure how my hair would have reacted to water only without the treatment. But ladies don't knock it till you've tried it, my ahri feels heavy. My hair has never felt heavy and thick. I wonder if it was all the shampoo that was making it so fine and fragile.