Has anyone tried the Water Only Method?

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
I'm trying it now after watching Naptural85's video.

Everyone's video on this is sooooo long. (about 10-15 mins)

The Water Only Method is using washing you hair with water only, and conditioning with your scalps natural sebum. You massage your scalp and spread the oils on the ends, and down the strands of your hair. You clean your scalp by lighting scratching your scalp. People call it scritching, because you know someone is always trying reinvent the wheel,

My routine includes water washing/rinsing every 3-4 days or whenever my scalp feels dry.
Spraying with a mix of half Aloe Juice/ half water, morning and night, and using coconut oil to detangle and seal. Coconut oil also helps prevent hydral fatigue.
I also use a protein conditioner every two weeks, or when I see my hair is over-moisturized. (When you stretch your hair and it doesn't spring/curl back.

That's basicallly it.

As for styling:
After washing, I do two flat-twists under the showerhead to help with detangling, and help keep my strands stretched. I wear it in that crown halo style for a day or two to dry. Next day, I wear my hair in a flat twist out or in a bun.
At night, I spray my hair again with aloe and coconut oil or a lil conditioner and put it into 4 twists, then wake up with a gorgeous twist out. Boom done!

My hair has been thriving from all the moisture and chilling in the flat twists.

VFib

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Me, myself and I
I haven't it. I was thinking, though. Do men wash their hair with shampoo EVERY time they shower? Every time they shower their hair gets wet, and their hair seems to grow quickly.

Update us on your progress. I may visit this. Especially with the colder season coming.

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
I haven't it. I was thinking, though. Do men wash their hair with shampoo EVERY time they shower? Every time they shower their hair gets wet, and their hair seems to grow quickly.

Update us on your progress. I may visit this. Especially with the colder season coming.
Men have more testosterone, which provides thicker, coarser stronger hair. Funnily enough, testosterone is also what makes them go bald later in life.

I honestly don't believe any curly haired individual needs to shampoo every day. Shampoo strips your hair of its natural oils. The oils are there for a reason. You should only shampoo if your hair gets too dirty or too oily.

Lana del Rey

Only the ocean can separate us....
Daps
Reppin
Atl
I've heard about it but I haven't got around to actually trying it myself. I looked it up on google and many natural haired ladies said that it worked well and actually helped their hair to grow. I'm going to try it out soon.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Not for my hair but I only wash my face with plain water for the most part. Every now and then a little baking soda for a scrub.

Paradise

Too tired to think of something witty to say...
Daps
I would be afraid to try this. My hair is really fine and i co wash every three days or so. I couldn't handle all of the water. My hair would be really mushy. Let us know how it's working for you.

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
I'll definitely update but I want to wait a bit to give it time to see some effects.

Here is Daphane Madyara. She has my hair type and about twice my length
After 2.5 weeks:

After 2 months:

After 3 months:

She's also wifey (in my head like Janelle). A beauty and a sweetheart.

Ps. Hopefully this pushes me past my plateau and evens out/ thickens out my fro.

Last edited:

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
Hell naw chile

I seen nap85 when it came out

I love him! Been watching him for a while cause he always sees past the bs and tells it simple and plain.

That said. I've learned not to take everything in the natural hair world literally. Water only washing is just like wash and go, there's always a ton more steps than implied just in the name.

If you are doing water only, and relying on your body to produce product, you have to feed your body the right ingredients so that the good stuff comes out in the sebum. Most people won't, because they are looking for the easiest, quickest, cheapest short cut to fabulous celebrity hair. It ain't gon happen if you don't put in the work or spend the cash.

That said, my method listed in OP works for me. I know with frequent washing/rinsing/wetting my fine hair is susceptible to tangling, and hydral fatigue. Which is why adding coconut oil and a protein is a must. Sectioning and stretching my hair is a must. Frequent rinsing, helps with moisture which is a issue with my hair, cuts down on tangling (caught shedded hairs) and breakage. Most importantly, listen to your hair. Your hair and scalp will tell you what it needs.

Regine Hunter

Captain Fupa
Supporter
Daps
Doesn't seem the cleanest.
Like…I'm thinking if someone was to do this with a lot of build up from product usage

Then again, what do I know, I'm clueless about my own damn hair

KinksandCoils

African American Queen
Daps
Reppin
Locker room
I love him! Been watching him for a while cause he always sees past the bs and tells it simple and plain.

That said. I've learned not to take everything in the natural hair world literally. Water only washing is just like wash and go, there's always a ton more steps than implied just in the name.

If you are doing water only, and relying on your body to produce product, you have to feed your body the right ingredients so that the good stuff comes out in the sebum. Most people won't, because they are looking for the easiest, quickest, cheapest short cut to fabulous celebrity hair. It ain't gon happen if you don't put in the work or spend the cash.

That said, my method listed in OP works for me. I know with frequent washing/rinsing/wetting my fine hair is susceptible to tangling, and hydral fatigue. Which is why adding coconut oil and a protein is a must. Sectioning and stretching my hair is a must. Frequent rinsing, helps with moisture which is a issue with my hair, cuts down on tangling (caught shedded hairs) and breakage. Most importantly, listen to your hair. Your hair and scalp will tell you what it needs.

I like his vids too. I like when he brings henny on his vids. She goes in lol. Yea I can see water only washing working for some people especially if you have oily skin in general. My hair mats easy as hell and I have very dry skin. As a matter of fact most dermatologist recommended products and treatments don't work for me (besides cetaphil)

Technically I have rinsed my hair with water but it's normally just to freshen up a style. My hair does whatever it wants, even when I had a perm it did.

I love coconut oil. I need to pick some more up

miranda

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I don't use this method exactly but I completely soak my hair with just water almost everyday, I only cowash like every 2 weeks, and i don't really use any other daily products. I can't use coconut oil ON my hair because it turns it to straw but I eat 1 or 2 tablespoons a day and it's ssems to make a difference in my hair and skin. I just did the fall asleep with slightly damp untwisted hair and have a huge matted patch, but strangers are still giving me compliments on my hair.