Has any other series had a run like the original Sonic series?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
All the OG sidescrolling Marios up to SMW were piff. SMB2 isn't quite as strong as 1, 3, and World, but it's still a solid game.

Metal Gear Solid is a legit consistent series (Snake Eater :blessed: )

Castlevania is up there (the only real misstep is 2. Castlevania 1, 3, 4, Rondo of Blood, and Symphony are all piff)

Final Fantasy 4 through 9 is a classic run (FFVI is GOATworthy. I haven't played FFX)

Zelda got really good with a Link to the Past and stayed consistently legit after that (Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess)

The first four Resident Evils are all dope.

Mega Man deserves a mention. 1 was decent, 2 and 3 were classics, and the rest of them were alright. Mega Man X 1, 2, and 4 were all great, but I couldn't get into 3. Playing as Zero was lit, but the bosses, weapons, and level designs were lowkey kinda Larry Holmes compared to what we got in the first two. 5 was okay, but not as good as 1, 2, or 4 IMO.

The original 2D Sonic games were great, but after that, the quality was all over the place.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
all on one console tho :ufdup:

Super Mario All-Stars + World, Yoshi's Island (SNES)
(I wouldn't normally count ports, but since all the games on it were totally remade, I'd say this one's still valid.)

Metal Gear Solid 1-3 (PS2)
(MGS3 Subsistence is goatworthy)

Mega Man 1-6 (NES)
(2 and 3 were definitely the best though.)

Final Fantasy 7-9 (PS1)
(I would mention Final Fantasy 4-6, but 5 was never released for the SNES so I'm not counting it here)

CookisaCac

I aint lyrical
Daps
Super Mario All-Stars + World, Yoshi's Island (SNES)
(I wouldn't normally count ports, but since all the games on it were totally remade, I'd say this one's still valid.)

Metal Gear Solid 1-3 (PS2)
(MGS3 Subsistence is goatworthy)

Mega Man 1-6 (NES)
(2 and 3 were definitely the best though.)

Final Fantasy 7-9 (PS1)
(I would mention Final Fantasy 4-6, but 5 was never released for the SNES so I'm not counting it here)
MG1 was on ps1

that mario one is an extreme reach lol

Daps
Reppin
NULL
MG1 was on ps1

that mario one is an extreme reach lol

You're right about Metal Gear, I forgot that was a ps1 game. Backwards compatiblility has you forgetting games were on older consoles, haha.
Mario All-Stars is still legendary though. IMO the GOAT compilation in gaming history. I don't see how it's such an extreme reach considering that all of those games were included in one cartridge (except Yoshi's Island). You're cool with counting Sonic CD, which required a whole add-on component (the Sega CD). Even Sonic 3 and Knuckles (classic game :salute: ) required a lock-on between two games.

Last edited:

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
:ohhh: You might be onto something here.

Sonic games upped the ante every sequel. There were no missteps.

The closest I can think is:

Zelda LTTP, Ocarina, Majora, Wind Waker and that's iffy because the last 2 weren't really respected till much later.

Mario: SMB3, World, Yoshi's Island, 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, Galaxy 2 (sunshine wasn't really hot like that though) Odessey looks to be fire

Metroid: 1, 2, Super, Prime 1,2,3

^^ those are the closest I can think of but they aren't clear cut like the Sonic series was 1 < 2 < 3 < SNK < CD

CookisaCac

I aint lyrical
Daps
You're right about Metal Gear, I forgot that was a ps1 game. Backwards compatiblility has you forgetting games were on older consoles, haha.
Mario All-Stars is still legendary though. IMO the GOAT compilation in gaming history. I don't see how it's such an extreme reach considering that all of those games were included in one cartridge (except Yoshi's Island). You're cool with counting Sonic CD, which required a whole add-on component (the Sega CD). Even Sonic 3 and Knuckles (classic game :salute: ) required a lock-on between two games.
It is a great compilation but im speaking strictly on games in a series on one console. not like a greatest hits type thing. So even if we dont count sonic cd because of that then the sonic series would still be 4 for 4 from the beginning.