"Half of all gamers are female" myth or reality?

GetInTheTruck

Daps
Reppin
Queens
I keep seeing this argument put forth online with cited stats yadda yadda yadda. But in my everyday experience, most women I encounter dont care for video games aside from some mobile stuff....it's been that way since I was a kid - video games are a guy hobby, girls may play a game here and there but they aren't as into it as the guys. I know that there are women who play video games, but are these stats missing something or what?

I don't even play games like that anymore but every time I do my girl rolls her eyes...but she was into Pokemon go when that shyt was popping for a minute, go figure. So how are these stats conducted exactly?

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I'd be interested in seeing some kind of documentation to support this.
In my real life I have only met a hand full of women that say they play games and now that I think of it, I don't think I've ever met a girl that would consider herself, or that even I would consider a "hardcore gamer".
My wife plays games every now and then but would never call herself a gamer.
The times I've played online I can only recall once where there was a girl playing (at least to my knowledge).
I would find it surprising if that many females were actually playing games. I'm not saying they don't, I'm just assuming the number isn't anything close to half of all gamers.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, it's a goal post move at best (counting games that are BARELY a video game, a game) on some inclusive #metoo, shyt. I know of girls that have played games, but like ya'll stated, none would consider themselves actual gamers on a hardcore or even semi-casual level. There's maybe 3 girls that I have had more than a passing convo with that played games enough to consider themselves gamers. Most events that are gaming related, they're in slim pickings there, with a grip of them just being the girlfriends/wives/etc of the actual gamer guy there.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Nah I can't see it, I always figured they add in board games, mobile games, card games. But actual girls that consider themselves gamers...and have the gaming experience or library to back it up. No way.

Probably the most casual gamer guy I'd consider more hardcore than alot of these so call "gamer girls" No shade to the actual gamer girls but alot of chicks played mario or sonic and mash on a lil something here or there and then call themselves gamers.

GetInTheTruck

Daps
Reppin
Queens
Even this forum as an example, we got more than a few women who post here....I don't see them up in the arcadium discussing games.

It's crazy how all these people on the internet are demanding these developers to cater towards a demographic that doesn't even fukk with videogames like that. shyt is absurd and hilarious at the same time. What's stopping these publishers and developers from telling these people to shut the fukk up and deal with it?

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
My psn list is dominated by men :dame:
I got two broads in there, I only play with one of them (TLOU), the other hasn't been on for months and I even forgot what I added her for.

I got a co worker who plays games but she doesn't consider herself a core gamer since she only played jrpgs or weird anime shyt and she got a league of legends addiction.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Even this forum as an example, we got more than a few women who post here....I don't see them up in the arcadium discussing games.

It's crazy how all these people on the internet are demanding these developers to cater towards a demographic that doesn't even fukk with videogames like that. shyt is absurd and hilarious at the same time. What's stopping these publishers and developers from telling these people to shut the fukk up and deal with it?
Some people enjoy participating in faux outrage whether the subject matter effects them or not. :manny:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

On one hand I agree.

On the other hand.... There's nothing wrong with some extra diversity.

I'm a male but I don't have a problem with females being better/more represented in games.

I'm sure tired of playing as a middle aged white guy:scusthov:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
On one hand I agree.

On the other hand.... There's nothing wrong with some extra diversity.

I'm a male but I don't have a problem with females being better/more represented in games.

I'm sure tired of playing as a middle aged white guy:scusthov:
This! 100%
I've said before, white people are not even the majority globally so why are nearly all forms of entertainment (and a countless number of other things) dominated by the "white" society?

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I found this:

What is an Average Gamer? - The Average Gamer

Some stats about the average gamer around the world.

UK Gamers

Based on a study commissioned by gaming social network Pixwoo in 2013.

• Play computer games five days a week, for 2 hours and 32 minutes each day.
  • Will stay up until 10.58pm playing games
  • Has stayed up until 1.12am on occasion
  • Owns two different consoles
  • Owns 18 games
  • Can complete a game in four-and-a-half weeks
  • Will go to a midnight opening for a new game once a year, spending four hours queuing each time
  • Has two rows a week with their partner about gaming
  • Has five online friends in the gaming community
  • Is 35 years old
  • Earns £23,244 a year
  • Is married or in a relationship
  • Has one child
  • Drives a Ford, Vauxhall or BMW
  • Works almost 32 hours a week
US Gamers

• The average gamer is 30 years old has been playing games for 13 years
  • The average adult gamer has been playing for 15 years. That’s 17 years for men, 13 years for women.
  • Gamers are 55% male, 45% female
  • Women over the age of 18 represent a significantly greater portion of the game-playing population (31%) than boys age 17 or younger (19%).
  • 36% of gamers play on a smartphone
  • 62% play with others, either in-person or online
    Source (2013)

Last reviewed: 28th August 2014.