Haitian Appreciation Thread

invalid

Banned
Daps
Man I love Haitians. Truly a small enough community to where you all know everyone.

I recently had a package delivered at my parents house. No one was home so later my mother went to pick it up at a local pharmacy that it was to be dropped off at. It hadn't arrived yet so the lady at the counter gave my mother her cell to call back later to check on the package.

I go to the pharmacy to pick it up and the lady has an accent. Was trying to discern what it was but couldn't. So I asked her where she was from and she's Haitian.

So we get to talking and I told her my fiance is Haitian and two of my exes were Haitian and she asked me their names. I told her and she knows all of them, their family, friends, associates, everybody. She knew all my other Haitian friends and their family.

We had a good chuckle recalling an incident around meeting the father of one of my Haitian exes. My ex and I went to have dinner at this African restaurant she was telling me about. The food was FIRE but everything was new to my stomach so I had to take a ferocious shyt. My ex was like her parents house was down the street so I could get to the bathroom. I protested not wanting that to be the circumstances in which I first met her parents. She was like no it will be fine so I said ok thinking everybody would be sleep, it's around 1am. Whole time trying to get over there I was about to shyt myself. Finally get to her parents house and her whole family is up entertaining some out of town relatives. We walk in they all look at us and I'm like..

fetchimage

Felt so embarrassed. Felt even more embarrassed because the bathroom was just off the living room where they were entertaining. Tried to turn around but had no choice. Went in blew that shyt up.

The pharmacy lady and I chuckled because, she was like, well you know Ludovic (exe's father) left the US for a short time to run for President of Haiti. And I was like you telling me I went and blew up the bathroom of a former Haitian presidential candidate? At that moment, I felt like....

Ghost.jpg

:russ:

Anyway, we talked for over three hours, talking about the Haitian community in Chicago, the Haitian restaurants, food, politics, churches everything. I found out that she owns the pharmacy and everything.

Today, my mother called me and said that the Haitian lady had called her and they had been talking for a few days like they been best girlfriends and that the Haitian lady made me some Haitian patties to pick up from the pharmacy. She said she put some extra meet in there for me. Finna go pick them suckers right on up.:blessed:

Anyway, I love y'all.

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
@ab.aspectus

Thanks for the love, and the story.
When Black people from similar social backgrounds link up, it tends to be seamless because the values are shared, even if the native languages aren't.
Yeah, there are maybe 2-3 degrees of separation between Haitian descent people in this country. Through church or political affiliations in Haiti, hometowns, by marriage, or through the 10-15 colleges that Haitians tend to go to here.

Midwest Haitian diaspora is the group I know the least about. They get overshadowed by the other areas but are very well accomplished here, and very active in developing infrastructure in Haiti.

That was a nice story of the exchange you had with the lady
She is pumpfaking you with the 'extra meat' pates, though. Hehehehe
-Haitian pate? Stingy with the meat is an UNDERSTATEMENT. It's a running joke. That old "Where's the Beef?" Wendy's commercial might as well have been about Haitian pate. ahahaahhahaah

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
51LbQx8wPkL._SL63_.jpg

A Brief History of Haiti's Battle of Vertières, a Triumph for Human Dignity​

On November 18, 1803, Haiti, or what was then Saint-Domingue, successfully defeated the French in the Battle of Vertières, the final conflict in the Haitian Revolution that led to Haiti's proclamation as the first independent Black nation months later. In this episode, I discuss this momentous victory on its anniversary over 200 years laters ahead of Battle of Vertières and Armed Forces Day.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
7eb1b843932ccca9c16245cc99f64d88370c9c69.jpg

FIU lays foundation for Creole-language journalism program​

Nov 17, 2022

DC-Bureau-Candids-SMaller-e1668721297616.jpeg

Florida International University (FIU), in conjunction with Island TV, is developing a Creole-language journalism program as part of its Department of Journalism + Media.
Through the partnership, FIU students will be given opportunities to intern and work with Island TV to generate content and various forms of media for on-air broadcasting.

“We are proud to partner with Island TV in support of our content-producing curriculum and experiential ‘learn by doing’ teaching philosophy. This partnership advances our mission to prepare career-ready journalists and media professionals who are critical and reflective thinkers and communicators, ethical, socially responsible, well rounded, and fair-minded,” said Brian Schriner, dean of FIU’s College of Communication, Architecture + The Arts.

A primary goal of the partnership is to place FIU Department of Journalism + Media students into active industry roles following graduation. The program will become the first Creole-language media program in the country and signals further community partnership between FIU and local businesses.

FIU currently offers a Spanish language program as well, connecting with South Florida-based Spanish-speaking media outlets for contribution and job placement.
Through the Spanish language program, courses are taught in Spanish, but bilingual students can present their projects and assignments in English. It is anticipated that the Haitian Creole program will follow similar guidelines.

Island TV media network is the only television network in the United States offering around-the-clock programming in English, French, and Haitian Creole.
Florida is home to the highest concentration of Haitian Creole-speaking individuals in the United States with more than 300,000, leading to increased efforts to better integrate the language into school curriculums and programs.

In Palm Beach County, schools now offer a Haitian Creole dual language program, while the University of Central Florida holds Haitian Creole language classes.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
FhtIYb8VIAAN7qx

Jason Witten Collegiate Man of the Year Award​

20 Semifinalists announced for Award To Honor Exemplary Leadership By A College Player​

DALLAS (Nov. 16, 2022) – The semifinalists for the sixth annual Jason Witten Collegiate Man of the Year were announced today, a group that includes 20 of the nation’s top leaders in college football.
Compiled by a subset of the Jason Witten Collegiate Man of the Year Selection Committee, the semifinalists have all demonstrated a record of leadership by exhibiting exceptional courage, integrity and sportsmanship both on and off the field.
Sixteen seniors and four juniors make up the list. Among conferences, the Big Ten led the way with six selections, while the ACC had five. The SEC and Pac-12 had three each. The American Athletic had two semifinalists and the Big 12 had one selection.
The full list of semifinalists includes: Derick Hall (Auburn), Matthew Cindric (California), DeWayne Carter (Duke), Holton Ahlers (East Carolina), Dillon Gibbons (Florida State), Tailon Leitzsey (Illinois), Kaevon Merriweather (Iowa), Blake Corum (Michigan), Tanner Morgan (Minnesota), Austin Williams (Mississippi State), Xavier McDonald (Navy), Isaiah Moore (North Carolina State), Kamryn Babb (Ohio State), Brendon Evers (Oklahoma State), Alex Forsyth (Oregon), Sean Clifford (Penn State), Deslin Alexandre (Pittsburgh), Hendon Hooker (Tennessee), Sam Hartman (Wake Forest) and Edefuan Ulofoshio (Washington).
Three finalists will be named for the award on Wednesday, December 14. The winner will be announced at the award ceremony in Frisco, Texas, on February 23, 2023.

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

NYPD officers Brunel Victor, Taufique Bokth honored for daring subway track rescue moments before train arrived​

November 28, 2022

NEW YORK -- Two police officers who risked their lives to save a man from the subway tracks on Thanksgiving were honored by the city on Monday.

CBS2's Natalie Duddridge spoke to the officers, who said they were just doing their job.

"We knew the train was coming. All we had to do was get him to safety," Officer Brunel Victor said.

Victor and Faufique Bokth are being hailed as heroes.

Bodycam video shows them running to rescue a 40-year-old man who told authorities he was dizzy and accidentally fell onto the tracks in the 116th Street subway. The incident happened on Thursday at around 4:30 p.m.

"People were crying out for help. As soon as they cry out for help, we noticed someone needed help," Victor said.

"We were concerned about the safety of the person who had just fell onto the tracks," Bokth added.

Bokth has been with the NYPD for two years and Victor for four years. Both said their training kicked in.

Video shows the officers approach and a Good Samaritan wearing a blue hat is already down on the tracks trying to help the victim. The officers then jump down and grab the man's backpack and hoist him up onto the platform.

They then all scramble back up, seconds before the train pulls into the station

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
You’re right about Hollywood playing a big role on that matter.

Thanks, this is a good video.

I edited the last post. I looked at it, and the tone I used was a bit argumentative.

But French, British, and Spanish media + fiction writers, and then their American counterparts are who created the Western image of VOODOO.
America's biggest export has always been culture, so when Hollywood studios adapted American writers stories about VOODOO and put it to screen, the world accepted it.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Biden Nominates Miami Lawyer for U.S. Attorney for Southern District of Florida​

Sept 15, 2022

091522-Markenzy-Lapointe.jpg

Senate confirms Mark Lapointe as Miami U.S. attorney.​

He’s first Haitian-American in post

December 07, 2022

Markenzy Lapointe Markenzy Lapointe Markenzy Lapointe was confirmed by the United States Senate Tuesday night as the U.S. attorney for South Florida, making him the first Haitian-American lawyer to serve in the region’s most powerful federal law enforcement position.

Lapointe, a former U.S. Marine and ex-federal prosecutor who was raised in Haiti and Miami, was nominated in September by President Joe Biden to fill the position, which is responsible for directing about 250 prosecutors in a district extending from Key West to Fort Pierce. It is considered one of the busiest districts in the country because of the region’s steady stream of financial fraud, drug trafficking and internet crimes.

Of late, the Miami-based U.S. Attorney’s Office has worked with the Justice Department and FBI in an investigation of former President Donald Trump and his alleged mishandling of classified documents at his Palm Beach estate, Mar-a-Lago. The Senate confirmed Lapointe in a voice vote, according to its website. The Senate Judiciary Committee, in a 18-2 vote, had moved his nomination to the full Senate last Thursday

Last edited: