4bbbbf_a66172257c1c40428804c2abb2ebb20e~mv2.webp

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

statue of Petion in modern day Colombia

“I greet the people of Haiti with great affection and gratitude, as we commemorate 252 years since the birth of Alexandre Pétion, revolutionary leader and ally who collaborated with Father (Simon) Bolívar in the struggle for independence. Pétion’s solidarity is present in America,”

-Nicolas Maduro, President of Venezuela

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Apr. 5, 2022
Silk Sonic Producer D’Mile Honored His Late Mother by Making Grammys History

0815e36737d5fe21e246eb38fd465be47b-d-mile-grammys.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

D’Mile, center, won three Grammys for co-writing and co-producing “Leave the Door Open” with Silk Sonic. Photo: Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for The Recording Academy
D’Mile didn’t get to accept his first Grammy onstage. The 37-year-old producer found out he won Song of the Year with H.E.R. for “I Can’t Breathe” in 2021 while watching the ceremony on TV, unable to attend because of COVID-19 protocols. But this year, he more than made up for it, winning Song of the Year for the second year in a row — a feat never before accomplished in Grammys history — for his work on Silk Sonic’s “Leave the Door Open.” (And he had good odds of repeating the win, considering he was also nominated for H.E.R.’s “Fight for You,” which he won an Oscar for in 2021.) When he got to the stage, Bruno Mars and Anderson .Paak gave D’Mile his moment in the spotlight first — to dedicate the award to his mother, the Haitian singer Yanick Étienne, who died March 30.
380x380bb.webp

Along with being an influential vocalist in Haitian music, Étienne made her mark on the pop world by singing backup on Roxy Music’s “Avalon” and contributing to multiple solo albums by Bryan Ferry. Like his mother, D’Mile — born Dernst Emile II and named for his father, also a producer — has had his own varied career. He was a go-to collaborator for Ty Dolla $ign in the mid-2010s before becoming one of the busiest hitmakers in R&B, working with not just H.E.R. and Silk Sonic but also Khalid, Victoria Monét, and even Beyoncé and Jay-Z on their Carters song “BOSS.” He won three Grammys last night for “Leave the Door Open,” and his influence is all over the R&B field:

@intruder

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Congrats to your cousin. Looking forward to the series even more now.

Now, from what you recall, how much backlash did he get by pursuing a non traditional career path?
A lot. He went to Cambridge Rindge & Latin School. Which is a really good school. So they expected him to become a Engineer or Lawyer. :mjlol:

The catalog occasionally deals with the darker aspects of Basquiat’s history, describing how his parents — Gerard, a Haitian immigrant, and Matilde, a Brooklyn-born artist of Puerto Rican descent, separated. How Gerard (who died in 2013) raised all three children and sometimes struggled to reconcile his ideas of success with his son’s less conventional goals.

“Jean-Michel was committed to being an artist, and my father’s fears for him — not having a life with stability and security — came out as anger and frustration,” Lisane writes in the catalog. “Jean-Michel ran away a few times. One day he was there, and then one day he wasn’t — there was really no discussion about it. Jean-Michel was never going to conform to the vision my father had for his life.”

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
If they are in your country that your ancestors built, the United States of America, and they do not accept your Black American culture, then move tf on. I would be disappointed in my child for talking like this. This is no different than trying to impress racist whites. Find some pride and self respect.

Diaspora war flaming.

He asked the same question his girl probably asked her AA girlfriends when the time came to meet HIS parents and family. The exact same questions about cultural differences that all mixed culture couples have about each other's families. The exact same way that same heritage couples from different social classes might have questions.

You sound like a clown here with your projections.

Last edited:

Henri Christophe

Son Of Afrika
Daps
Reppin
NYC / Royaume d'Haïti

:russ:

she basically said "fukk having respect and knowledge on your girlfriends culture... you supposed to walk in the funeral and put your balls on the table and do what the fukk you want... fukk what they think & fukk their culture" :angry::angry::angry:

"she supposed to be kissing your feet cause your ancestors were enslaved in north america" :angry::angry::angry:

"walk up to her father and give him dap like he's a random negro on the street, fukk their culture" :angry:

Giselle

Bushed
Daps
:russ:

she basically said "fukk having respect and knowledge on your girlfriends culture... you supposed to walk in the funeral and put your balls on the table and do what the fukk you want... fukk what they think & fukk their culture" :angry::angry::angry:

"she supposed to be kissing your feet cause your ancestors were enslaved in north america" :angry::angry::angry:

"walk up to her father and give him dap like he's a random negro on the street, fukk their culture" :angry:

He’s talking about Black American hairstyles and fashions, not rude behavior. This was posted in the thread about the Haitian parents kicking their Americanized son out for getting a Black American hairstyle and they negatively compared him to Black Americans.

I stand by what I said. Y’all can kiss my Black American ass. “Negro” in here sounding like a racist white. We don’t need more of that here.

Henri Christophe

Son Of Afrika
Daps
Reppin
NYC / Royaume d'Haïti
He’s talking about Black American hairstyles and fashions, not rude behavior. This was posted in the thread about the Haitian parents kicking their Americanized son out for getting a Black American hairstyle and they negatively compared him to Black Americans.

I stand by what I said. Y’all can kiss my Black American ass. “Negro” in here sounding like a racist white. We don’t need more of that here.

oh my god, now Black Americans invented braids. :russ:

As if nikkas aint been rocking braids for 200,000+ years. Its black men in Haiti with braids that never set foot in your precious North America.

and guess what? when I dropped out of school because my business was taking off - I had to move out the house also.

Haitian households are not democracies, they are strong arm dictatorships. You follow the guidelines set for you at birth, or get the fukk out the house.

No tattoos, No drugs, No piercings, No earrings, No crazy hairstyles, No disrespect of elders. etc etc etc

and by the way, the French version of Negro is "Nègre" and its a common word in our culture.

You're leaking with insecurity, falsely masquerading as cultural pride

Go to sleep.

Henri Christophe

Son Of Afrika
Daps
Reppin
NYC / Royaume d'Haïti
@Giselle and there is nothing wrong with Haitian parents wanting their children to follow guidelines that uphold their culture.

my younger sister is Americanized. and now shes a feminist LGBT-supporting interracial dating weirdo.

I support all Haitian parents keeping their foot on their kids neck to stop them from becoming "Americanized"

If you gotta problem with it - keep crying