Guns n Roses at the American Music Awards appreciation thread

Daps
Reppin
WestMidWest
of course not, you already know

sad shyt bruh....now extend that double standard to hip hop..this bytch I know always talking about how nikkas who wear their pants off the azz have no respect for themselves and are more likely aint bout shyt...but yet she is a big Weezy fan:patrice:

SAJ!!

Straight Shooter
Supporter
Daps

:jayhaha: @ Axel going in on all of the metal magazines at once.

Last edited by a moderator:

L68

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

There are few songs of any band form any era that have even a remotely similar presence to that found on "Estranged,"as it seems to break nearly every musical rule possible. First and foremost, there is absolutely no discernible structure to the song, as the band throws the typical "verse chorus verse" idea out the window, and "Estranged" has no actual chorus at any point. With the song clocking in at nine and a half minutes, the band never loses focus, and these two elements combined prove that Guns N' Roses was far more talented than a majority of critics would like to admit. There is a strange contrast to be found throughout "Estranged," as the moody, melodic piano from Axl Rose smash up against the ripping guitar work from Slash. In fact, in the liner notes, Rose thanks Slash for "the killer guitar melodies" on "Estranged." The overall mood is enhanced by the work of the rhythm section of bassist Duff McKagan and drummer Matt Sorum, with rhythm guitarist Izzy Stradlin presenting a fantastic backdrop over which Slash works. Listening closely to the song, it often sounds as if the band was simply having a jam session at points, as they completely flesh out every part of the song, again standing in contrast to the entire style of "hair metal." There is an almost overwhelming, majestic feel to "Estranged," and at every turn the band is showing their extraordinary musical talents, cementing the group in a category all their own, as well as creating one of the most stunning works of hard rock in history.

Yet even with the superb musical performance on "Estranged," one simply cannot discuss anything related to Guns N' Roses without talking about the one and only W. Axl Rose. Unquestionably one of the most outspoken and eccentric frontmen in history, on "Estranged," Rose brings one of his most moving lyrics, as well as some of his finest vocal work to date. From the distant, almost whispered opening verses to the more powerful parts found in the middle of the song, Rose shows his entire range in terms of both delivery style as well as his ability to easily work the entire vocal spectrum. Through both the music and vocals, one can feel the sense of anguish that Rose was trying to convey, as he later admitted that the song was inspired by his annulled marriage to Erin Everly. Contrasting his forceful, pained lyrics with one of the most honest and emotional lines ever, one cannot help but be pulled into Rose's mood when he delivers lines like, "...I'll never find anyone to replace you, guess I'll have to make it through, this time...oh this time without you..." While Rose dominates the song (in a good way) with his exceptional vocal work and dramatic conveyance of his lyrics, one cannot speak of "Estranged" without giving a nod to the perfectly placed backing vocals which were performed by, among others, a man named Shannon Hoon. It is in this contrast of styles that one can see just how unique a band lived in Guns N' Roses, and there is simply no denying the overall majesty that one finds within "Estranged."

Taking all of the moods and contrasting sounds into account, one can also see "Estranged" as a rather prophetic song, re-interpreting the lyrics and clashing of sounds as a reflection on the state of the band at the time. If one considers the more mellow, melodic piano parts as "Axl" and the crushing guitar work as "Slash," one can easily see the split between these two personalities that in many ways defined an entire era of music. Furthermore, the lyrics which Rose penned can easily be seen as a final attempt to resolve the well-documented internal problems of Guns N' Roses, and the fact of the matter is, within a few short years of the release of "Estranged," the band would enter what stands as one of the most talked about hiatus' in music history. Truth be told, though released on Use Your Illusion II in 1991, "Estranged" was not actually released as a single until January of 1994, and the fact that more than 2 years after its release, the band was still taking singles from the record, serves as a testament to just how good both albums were. It is songs like "Estranged" that stood in sharp contrast to the bands' public persona as a group of rowdy rockers, as there is an undeniable beauty to the song, and it is this display of a superior talent in musicianship as well as arrangement that sets Guns N' Roses far apart from any other band of the era. Standing as what can be seen as a culmination of all of their efforts to date, there is simply no way to accurately convey the level of emotion and superb musicianship that one finds on Guns N' Roses monumental 1991 song, "Estranged."

The Daily Guru: October 26: Guns N' Roses, "Estranged"

Last edited by a moderator:

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
Yeah lets appreciate a racist rock band. I'm starting to think there are like only 10 to 20 actual black people on this site. :mindblown:

Metta World Movement

Peace and love...to all!!
Daps
Isn't Axl's voice shyt now? :heh:

Dude used to have a unique but powerful voice

Last time I saw him on TV singing (that 'return' he had a while back) he sounded like Curly from Three Stooges tryna hit high notes :heh:

Yeah lets appreciate a racist rock band. I'm starting to think there are like only 10 to 20 actual black people on this site. :mindblown:

Only one of them who MIGHT have been racist is Axl......then rest of them didn't wanna do that song, especially Slash who's half-black

And if Eminem can drop the n-word in a song and be forgiven because he "matured" since then, why can't Axl get the same treatment? :lolbron:

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Blame Slash :ufdup:

He broke up GnR, his own slash snakepit shyt and VR.

I didn't know the Coli fukked with GnR :salute:

he didnt break up shyt, it was all axle

axle always did fuked up shyt, when they were on tour with metallica the lead singer burned his hands from the pyrotechnics and axle refused to step up in fill in for the rest of show which resulted in a riot

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Isn't Axl's voice shyt now? :heh:

Dude used to have a unique but powerful voice

Last time I saw him on TV singing (that 'return' he had a while back) he sounded like Curly from Three Stooges tryna hit high notes :heh:

he had the goat voice but he sounds terrible, i dont know whats worse his voice or his hair

DStyles

Vegan
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn,NY/Manchester,UK
he didnt break up shyt, it was all axle

axle always did fuked up shyt, when they were on tour with metallica the lead singer burned his hands from the pyrotechnics and axle refused to step up in fill in for the rest of show which resulted in a riot

What about the other two bands? :canthearu:

Why is it that Izzy, Matt, and Duff have appeared with Axl on stage but Slash still refuses.

Slash's ego is just as big as Axl's :manny:

But I blame Slash more for not being the better man, we all know Axl is an a$$hole he even acknowledges it.

:ufdup:Slash