Daps
Reppin
NULL
Shooting deaths in Fort Greene Park echo a more violent time
By Jaime Lutz
The Brooklyn Paper
Enlarge this image

Community Newspaper Group / Jaime Lutz
LIFE GOES ON: Domenick Propati, watching a basketball game on the same court near the spot where two young men were killed this weekend. He says that he can’t live in fear because of the crime.
Enlarge this image

Community Newspaper Group / Jaime Lutz
KEEPING WATCH: A police car lingers in Fort Greene Park a few days after three people were shot and two were killed in the green space.
Two men were shot and killed in Fort Greene Park on Friday, but by Monday afternoon the bloody crime scene was far from the minds of most park goers.
Children played in fountains, joggers pounded up the park’s challenging stairs, and workers shot some hoops on their lunch break, just feet away from where a shooter let off nine rounds, killing Jahmal Issac Page, 21, and Anthony Earl-Govon, 22, and injuring a third man at 11:30 pm three days earlier. The killings, which reportedly took place as some 50 kids hung out nearby, were a grisly reminder of a time when Fort Greene was synonymous in some people’s minds with crime. One park goer said that the past violence was not confined to the neighborhood, which has been a bohemian hots pot since the 1980s, but was a fact of life in the whole borough.
“It’s Brooklyn,” said Domenick Propati, sitting on the sidelines of a basketball game. “Depending on how long you’ve lived in Brooklyn, that’s what you expect.”
Police have no suspect so far in the killings, which occurred on the Myrtle Avenue side of the park near Saint Edwards Street, police said.
That fact worried Sean and Colleen Greene of Kensington, who were dog-sitting in the neighborhood but, after being informed of the killings, said that they would not return to the park. Despite the vow to keep away, the pair said the shooting did not come as a shock.
“I’m not surprised, personally,” Sean Greene said.
Long-term neighborhood residents vowed to stay put, saying that they do not want to cede ground to criminals.
“I’ve been living here for 23 years,” said Mayra Gonzalez, a Fort Greene resident who walks through the park every day. “I can’t let them bully me out.”
There have been seven shooting incidents in the Fort Greene area so far this year, compared with the same number last year at this time, according to police statistics. That is down from 14 shootings at this time in 2001 and 60 by August of 1993.
On Monday afternoon, two men walking out of the park referred to Myrtle Avenue by a nickname that is less prevalent nowadays.
“Do you want to take Murder?” one man asked.

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/36/33/dtg_fortgreenemurders_2013_08_16_bk.html

stepbackj34spud

Top 75 All-Time
Daps
Reppin
BK
Ive played ball in the park before. :patrice:

Senseless killing smh. nikkas need to wake the fukk up and get off that hood sh*t.

Carolina Slim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh by way of Crooklyn
Weird dynamic though, cause the DeKalb Ave side of Ft Greene is real chill, at least when I was still up top. Going to school there, it was always chill, especially when my man Spike Lee had his production offices up the block from my HS. When I briefly ran track in HS, a lot of our practice would be to run around the perimeter of Ft Greene Park, which of course, led us down to the Myrtle Ave side. Some of my Asian and white teammates would make sure to get right next to the black kids when they hit Myrtle, even though if some of the local goons from the Whitman (and I forget the other projects near there) Houses wanted to set it, the black kids on the team was NOT about that life. So it's funny, that you have a park right there, and life on either side could be totally different.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Weird dynamic though, cause the DeKalb Ave side of Ft Greene is real chill, at least when I was still up top. Going to school there, it was always chill, especially when my man Spike Lee had his production offices up the block from my HS. When I briefly ran track in HS, a lot of our practice would be to run around the perimeter of Ft Greene Park, which of course, led us down to the Myrtle Ave side. Some of my Asian and white teammates would make sure to get right next to the black kids when they hit Myrtle, even though if some of the local goons from the Whitman (and I forget the other projects near there) Houses wanted to set it, the black kids on the team was NOT about that life. So it's funny, that you have a park right there, and life on either side could be totally different.

I think it's Ingersoll.