Growing up in a city with a small black population is damaging to your blackness

Daps
Reppin
VOID
Yep. Being an artist I really enjoy being around a diverse group of people. Black, white, Asian, etc.

Its a great feelin seeing people from all kinds of backgrounds hangin out, sharing experiences, knowledge, etc....BUT as a black man I still have to have dat feelin of "home" regularly too.

Being around mah people is a necessity just like being around diversity is. Each provides me wit dat "nutrition" mah mind & spirit needs to thrive and excel in dis world.

Like one of da brehs said, dat balance of da two is so crucial to personal growth.

You can stay in a box if you feel more comfortable in it...just don't close da lids ya dig?:myman:
This is why I love living here in NYC...the diversity man...:blessed:

Prynce

Daps
I grew up in Atlanta the black Mecca :blessed:
So I can't relate but when I'm around a lot of cacs I stay alert and get done quickly, can't trust them.

I didn't even start being around them untill college

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
My little brothers are adopted by a Hispanic family and while they love them and they're great people it can be tough being raised by people different from you race wise and create conflict between their two identities.
That's what happened to the oldest, he was being bullied at school (majority Hispanic) because of his differences and while he had two good friends it isn't fun.
But he recognizes what's up.
Glad I grew up in a multi race area.
That's where I'd want to raise any children I had.
I think it's the healthiest.

1stPick

Banned
Daps
Yup OP knows what's up. Admittedly, I've been dealing with self hate issues for most of my life. Still am now. It's a process to transition to a new mindset after being surrounded by non blacks your entire life

For me

- Being extra self conscious about my race
- Being paranoid of other blacks embarrassing me in front of other races
- Being jealous of Chinese and White culture
- Being behind on skin/hair care
- And as OP said, being proud of being a token

If I ever plan on raising a family, I will certainly be leaving North America to do it. Growing up in a environment with very few blacks is harmful to your mental psyche

I cant relate. My city is 80% black so I dont have experience with non-black people. I always have that feeling like something bad is gonna happen when Im around other races. I do what I have to do and gtfo before the fukkery starts.

I have this to. Especially after Ferguson, I can feel the racial tension increasing. I plan on GTFOing off this continent.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Yup OP knows what's up. Admittedly, I've been dealing with self hate issues for most of my life. Still am now. It's a process to transition to a new mindset after being surrounded by non blacks your entire life

For me

- Being extra self conscious about my race
- Being paranoid of other blacks embarrassing me in front of other races

- Being jealous of Chinese and White culture
- Being behind on skin/hair care
- And as OP said, being proud of being a token

If I ever plan on raising a family, I will certainly be leaving North America to do it. Growing up in a environment with very few blacks is harmful to your mental psyche

I have this to. Especially after Ferguson, I can feel the racial tension increasing. I plan on GTFOing off this continent.

I know this all to well, seeing like a ignorant black folk, even though there are ignorant white folks but like :kony: im not like that brad and amy or some ish

I remember being young and all the cac kids got invited to this kids bday party all 25 kids in the class except for me, and the party was after school on a friday, my mom picks me up and all these cac kids are going to this party :to:

and yep I remember being the token, look at me the way I talk, the way I dress, all that kewn ish

I remembe when I went to kumasi ghana a few years ago that was my awakening moment, just being amongst my people for two weeks no cacs was truely enlightening.

As a kid growng up you think there is somethign wrong, with your skin, your hair, im not saying all white epople are bad, or I don't even have a few white brehs im cool with but there is smething about being amongst your people.

It's why hell your in bc, while chinese are all in vancouver and richmond, why all brown people are in surrey, why whites scurry to the fall away small towns, why jews take over communities etc.

its just the same when you see a white dude who grew up around black folks you can tell, im not talking about those "wiggers" but like those white folks who grew up around black folks there is just something about em its the same damn thing when black folks grow up around cacs,