Google Fiber is getting outrageously fast 20Gbps service

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
Im pissed cuz nikkas over seas have been eating off fast ass speeds for years. US is just slowly dishing it out to make as much money as possible :unimpressed:

Yapdatfool

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
what are the social costs of all that?

Well increasing coverage and speeds while decreasing costs in poor and rural areas would help bridge the information, education and internet gap they already face coupled with price gouging (some ISPs have a 30 buck discount off ya bill if your income is low enough, gov't subsidiary).

For those unfamiliar with the issue, roughly 28.2 million households in the United States lack access to high-speed internet, according to Education SuperHighway. And Black Americans make up roughly 21 percent of “unconnected communities.” The disadvantages of not having access to the internet are substantial. For example, during the pandemic, Black families disproportionately struggled to access online learning, contributing to higher levels of learning loss for Black children.

“When you’re not connected [to the internet], you’re not able to engage in some of the very basic activities that are required of us in society, including working, learning, and gaining access to health care,” says Nicol Turner Lee, Director of the Center for Technology Innovation at the Brookings Institution.

How much energy and water usage across the country is currently being devoted to this thirst for ever-greater bandwidth and ever-more data? What's the endgame there?

Data centers are notorious water users depending on size and location, and more of those will need to be built.

They also use a LOT of electricity too.

But the alternative? Drive everywhere? More libraries that are open 7 days a week can be an alternative. The endgame is as mentioned up top, access to everything good and bad from the ever growing world of technology.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
But the alternative? Drive everywhere? More libraries that are open 7 days a week can be an alternative. The endgame is as mentioned up top, access to everything good and bad from the ever growing world of technology.

Like I said, the alternative is to design pages that conserve bandwidth rather than overexploiting it. You don't need 20Gbps in order to run a Zoom meeting. 20 Mbps is just fine. So we're talking about Google installing stuff that's multiple orders of magnitude higher than what people actually need to close the educational gap you're talking about.

The more bandwidth they install, the more shyt people are going to add to webpages in order to exploit that bandwidth. And so even those of us who want to use less keep getting screwed over by the norms constantly changing.

Yapdatfool

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Like I said, the alternative is to design pages that conserve bandwidth rather than overexploiting it.

HTML5 gives pages the ability to do just that. Maybe I misread what you replied to me as? Where did webpage design come into this conversation? You said you don't believe america needs that kind of speed... but the rest of the world does? What are you trying to discuss me with here?

detach

Banned
Daps
Reppin
OHIO
Same shyt they do with phones, televisions, and everything else, they need to keep making more money so they continuously tell people they need more more more.

As far as cell phone services goes, AT&T and Verizon been going broke trying to go 5g. T Mobile is actually more profitable than AT&T and Verizon. And I stg Verizon been 5g so trash, Verizon has been straight asscheeks since going 5g. Verizon 4g LTE was goat status.

You buggin.

We as consumers should push for higher speeds, lower costs, better coverage, with unlimited usage for mobile and fixed internet.
I'm paying 100 for 300MBPS, that 70 for 1GBPS would be a godsend and its unlimited too?! sign me the fukk up!!