Good Degree To Take To Africa

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
This isn't about yelling at other people to do things for you - it's about learning to do what you can for yourself, ramping it up, and making your community demand and action.

Like I said, I suggest you read more. This is happening to no result. Banks and politicians don't operate how you describe.

If you think that what Africa really needs is to pass a G.I. Bill or do government research into the creation of an international internet system, then you obviously havent' been talking to many actual Africans.

the point flew over your head.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Poitier, what's your positive contribution to this thread? Merely that Africa needs more fresh faces with Agricultural Engineering degrees? In fact, lots of Agricultural Engineers have gone to Africa - I know some of them. Has their work been effective? Why or why not? Do you know which factors make some of them effective and which factors make some of them useless or even counterproductive? What difference would one more person with an Agricultural Engineering degree make if that's all they're bringing to the table?

Like I said, I suggest you read more. This is happening to no result. Banks and politicians don't operate how you describe.

1. Tell me what I should read then, as I've already asked you once before.

2. Tell us what your personal experience is which allows you to evaluate these things you're reading and be able to tell which is accurate and which is bullshyt. Have you EVER done work like what we're talking about, anywhere? Do you know people who are, and how familiar are you with the efficacy of their work?

the point flew over your head.

Then enlighten me.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Poitier, what's your positive contribution to this thread? Merely that Africa needs more fresh faces with Agricultural Engineering degrees? In fact, lots of Agricultural Engineers have gone to Africa - I know some of them. Has their work been effective? Why or why not? Do you know which factors make some of them effective and which factors make some of them useless or even counterproductive? What difference would one more person with an Agricultural Engineering degree make if that's all they're bringing to the table?

If you were planning to move to Africa one day, what degree would you get here in the US before you left? Would a english degree suffice if I just wanted to teach and work with people?

Its called answering the OP.

1. Tell me what I should read then, as I've already asked you once before.

2. Tell us what your personal experience is which allows you to evaluate these things you're reading and be able to tell which is accurate and which is bullshyt. Have you EVER done work like what we're talking about, anywhere? Do you know people who are, and how familiar are you with the efficacy of their work?.

I go off the voices of 100s of Africans on the continent. I actually do grassroots campaigns in Atlanta.

I post African centered publications and twitter users all the time but unfortunately for you the search function isn't working at the moment. A simple google search on Nigeria and their fuel crisis, or South Africa and its educational reform movements, or Ethiopia land reform should all give you a better picture than what you've been posting in this thread.

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Programming languages. HTML, JavaScript, CSS, SQL, Perl, Java, Python etc. HUGE growth coming in these fields over the next 10 years and it's not even close to enough people for that work load so plenty of opportunities for brehs who have the stomach for it.

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You know what. I think we should really start strollin into Africa and taking over. Our land just as much as theres especially places like Ghana who sold us in the first place.

Bring some products to sell them nikkas.

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We gotta get our shyt together here first before we collectively think about "taking over" anything fam
:pachaha:
Not really. Those who already have their shyt together can group and invest right now in a host of areas. For real we can't look at us as a whole but as those who build and others who we hope to follow.

Kitsch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
London
I've got an offer to study Data Science for my masers but I'm seriously considering studying Smart Cities and Urban Analytics. :patrice:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I've got an offer to study Data Science for my masers but I'm seriously considering studying Smart Cities and Urban Analytics. :patrice:
Machine Learning is the new wave, all this stuff ties in together. The issue with that in Africa is Africa is like 30-50 yrs from this being relevant there, Africa right now is decades behind, so infrastructure should be the focus, but once those things are in tact, then the Continent could be brought up to speed rather quickly.

Kitsch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
London
Machine Learning is the new wave, all this stuff ties in together. The issue with that in Africa is Africa is like 30-50 yrs from this being relevant there, Africa right now is decades behind, so infrastructure should be the focus, but once those things are in tact, then the Continent could be brought up to speed rather quickly.
Agreed, the internet of things too.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Agriculture and Energy are the only two things that will matter. All that other stuff yall are talking is either irrelevant or not in the control of a single person.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Agreed, the internet of things too.

Yup, Cloud Computing can also ease the load on having to worry about a ton of Data Centers and such. If anything this is the perfect time for Africa to catch up to the technological advancements out now since the focus is now on Being Lean, Agile, and Managed Services, African Nations/Businesses dont have to worry about the massive overhead that comes with technology that other nations had to worry about from the 70s till the early 2000s.

This is the prime time to make stuff happen, but once again Africa as a whole lacks very basic things from an infrastructure standpoint that can't be ignored.

cam>

All Star
Daps
only 10% of degrees earned in Africa are in STEM. So any STEM degree would make you more useful and marketable.

More STEM degrees means we wouldn't have to outsource so much of the technical areas of infrastructure, and we'd be able to grow into a knowledge economy.