Going from wireless contract to prepaid service...

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Fellow tech heads on The Coli, thinking about calling its quits with Verizon and moving my phone over to Straight Talk.

Right now I am at $100/month with Verizon, Straight Talk is about $45 a month. I have a Galaxy S8 and a Gear S3, if I make the switch how do I get updates for these devices?

I know the Android updates are carrier based. The S3 I can Bluetooth to the S8 as I have been, not sure if it's updates are from Samsung or Verizon.

$1,200/yr vs $540/yr is a good savings for me.

Last edited:

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
It's 2018 and Android updates are still carried based?

That's just fukking sad.

Anyway, whilst I can't speak on Android updates, trust that you won't be disappointed by switching to Straight Talk. I've had them for years (moved from Sprint) - never had an issue with service. Currently on the $45/10 GB unlimited talk/text plan.

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Re-visiting this thread, so far things are great on Straight Talk. I found out Samsung pushes Android updates to my S8 and Gear S3 directly, only thing that sucks that you have to be on Wi-Fi to download updates. I have a fast connection at home, but if I'm on the road or at work I'm SOL till I get back home or near a decent Wi-Fi signal.

Super Cheech

I Feel So Westcoast
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles / SOHH Icey
Re-visiting this thread, so far things are great on Straight Talk. I found out Samsung pushes Android updates to my S8 and Gear S3 directly, only thing that sucks that you have to be on Wi-Fi to download updates. I have a fast connection at home, but if I'm on the road or at work I'm SOL till I get back home or near a decent Wi-Fi signal.

Is ST on VZW network? that's pretty damn cheap to have unlimited. Only downside to prepaid service is priority for postpaid customers on networks/towers, this was the case when I worked in the cell industry, could be different now .

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Is ST on VZW network? that's pretty damn cheap to have unlimited. Only downside to prepaid service is priority for postpaid customers on networks/towers, this was the case when I worked in the cell industry, could be different now .

Yea they use Verizon towers, one of the few, not many out there in the prepaid companies taking CMDA 4G LTE phones.

BTW the recently changed the $55 plan to UNLIMITED 4G data...

:whoo::noah:

I'm still on the $45 10 GB plan though.

I was gonna do the $45/month plan but decided to get the $55 plan, I think it shows a limit of 2TB on my account. Last month I used 25GB, I hadn't realized how much data IG sucks up. Pretty sure I downloaded a few files here and there, all in all not bad at all, for half of what I was paying Verizon.

Art Norm

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Been on Mint Sim since the service launched.

$300 for the year - 10GB Data, Unlimited Talk/Text. Zero problems. T-Mobile network

My first time hearing about this. My contract with sprint is up in June and I'm def gonna look into this.

• Dap
Reactions: R=G
Daps
Yea they use Verizon towers, one of the few, not many out there in the prepaid companies taking CMDA 4G LTE phones.

I was gonna do the $45/month plan but decided to get the $55 plan, I think it shows a limit of 2TB on my account. Last month I used 25GB, I hadn't realized how much data IG sucks up. Pretty sure I downloaded a few files here and there, all in all not bad at all, for half of what I was paying Verizon.

IG as in Instagram? Are you on there 24/7? :wtf:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
My first time hearing about this. My contract with sprint is up in June and I'm def gonna look into this.
Yeah it’s worth looking into if you have great T-Mobile coverage. GF and I bought our phones outright and slashed our phone bill significantly.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Fellow tech heads on The Coli, thinking about calling its quits with Verizon and moving my phone over to Straight Talk.

Right now I am at $100/month with Verizon, Straight Talk is about $45 a month. I have a Galaxy S8 and a Gear S3, if I make the switch how do I get updates for these devices?

I know the Android updates are carrier based. The S3 I can Bluetooth to the S8 as I have been, not sure if it's updates are from Samsung or Verizon.

$1,200/yr vs $540/yr is a good savings for me.

It's 2018 and Android updates are still carried based?

That's just fukking sad.

Anyway, whilst I can't speak on Android updates, trust that you won't be disappointed by switching to Straight Talk. I've had them for years (moved from Sprint) - never had an issue with service. Currently on the $45/10 GB unlimited talk/text plan.

Only if you have a carrier version of a phone. The OEMs usually release a factory unlocked version of their phones that get updates straight from the OEM.

Diyhai

En Causa Sui
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Been using freedom pop for a minute
Free service 500 mins 500 texts 200-500mbs
Ive been on some using the internet intentionally so the low data ain’t a big deal

Slystallion

Live to Strive
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
T-Mobile has some awesome plans I've got a family plan and on average with the 5 lines we have it's about 25 dollars per line

Black Miller

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Columbia, SC via Niagara Falls, NY
I'm on the att go phone (name changed to prepaid now)- I pay 45 a month for 6 GB LTE, then slower speeds after that but unlimited until the next cycle. it knocks $5 off the bill for auto paying each month. get unlimited talk, text, to mexico, Canada and hotspot for however LTE balance you have left each month. and whatever you don't use rolls over the next month. they got the unlimited plan for 65 with $5 off autopay too but I pay for internet at home so I don't need unlimited on my phone.

service is pretty good and my bill like 44 a month. got no complaints and I buy my phones straight up and unlocked so I don't worry about a monthly phone fee and no activation fees whenever get a new phone.