Supporter
Daps
Ca12dcB.png

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Okay, explain to me like I'm 5.

What Sony games sacrifice gameplay and give me specific examples of this for a more "cinematic" experience.

To make a game feel like a movie the gameplay has to be presented with little resistance.

They want to make you feel danger but they don’t actually want you to fail.

It’s why you get the no fail QTE sections and the easy traversal stuff. Nobody wanna watch the same train explode 15 times cause you can’t make a jump. But that means the traversal has to be shallow and almost fail proof throughout the game.

Combat can’t be too difficult. Most games, especially difficult ones have a low completion percentage. Movie games are built for pretty much anyone who picks up the controller can make it through. That also means loot can’t be too significant, can’t have you get to a certain boss or enemy and not have the equipment/skills to win. Backtracking makes little sense in a “cinematic experience”

Level design is influenced by the need to funnel you to the next story beat. GOW devs said the squeeze through and forced walking sections were about pacing and controlling where the character can or can’t go. You said it yourself that open world games have a hard time telling a good story because the player can just walk off and do what they want to do. That goes both ways. In a movie game they can’t give the player much choice at all cause then it would fukk up the narrative.

Animations have to look realistic, but that doesn’t always make for the best gameplay. RDR2 was the worst for this. Yea the animations were cool and cinematic the first couple times, but it made the game a slog to get through.

Camera Angles. Moving the camera to close shoulder view changes mele combat profusely. You can’t see behind you so there will be less enemies and they will all be programmed to kinda wait and circle around to only attack you in the front. This makes spacing and positioning less important than the average mele action game.

There’s more, but this is the gist of it.

Movie games have very different design goals and priorities than other games. Same as an RPG is very different from an Action game.

gow and gow rag are prime examples. One, two and three are pretty much hack and slash action games. Most people played those because of the grit, action, violence and finishing moves.

2018 and ragnarok are more so just action adventure games. Most people play this for the story over the gameplay.

As someone that has always been more into kratos story the shift to 2018 was perfect.

But if I remember playing gow 1 2 or 3... Then 2018 might take some getting use too.

Yeah story wise there is a reason why the game is like that... But
Again that goes back to story overshadowing gameplay.

This doesn't mean it's BAD it's just not what everyone wants all the time or what everyone prefers.

Exactly this!

And it's the reason gow rag npcs don't give you more than 5 seconds before they are telling you how to complete a puzzle you just walked into a room for, or why you can no longer fail qte events.

To create the cinematic experience that Sony does so well they have to present the world and things in certain bits and pieces.

TLOUS 2 did a great job at that imo. They even started you off in a simi open world like area. But overall all you had a sense of freedom.

Gow rag, everything was presented to you in a certain way they doubled down on it from 2018... It wasn't until the end and in particular one area that I was like man I wish I could have gotten a whole game like this.
:mjlol:

Hellblade 2 is just Ryse with mentally crazy broad.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
@Fatboi1 i’m in the hellblade 2 thread actually talking about the game.

If you wanna talk about the game, why not go there??? :what:
It's 3:39PM, you already beat it?

What is there to discuss? I can read the comments on a Youtube video.

I'm in this thread making fun of you silly rabbits for talking about "movie games" and you guys ended up with literally the absolute most "movie game" description to the T.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
It's 3:39PM, you already beat it?

What is there to discuss? I can read the comments on a Youtube video.

I'm in this thread making fun of you silly rabbits for talking about "movie games" and you guys ended up with literally the absolute most "movie game" description to the T.
It’s just a game, that i didn’t even spend any extra money on.

You paid $60 for The Order.

You like movie games. Why not just play the game and enjoy what you can out of it??

What’s wrong with you?? :what:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It’s just a game, that i didn’t even spend any extra money on.

You paid $60 for The Order.
I didn't spend $60 on it.
You like movie games. Why not just play the game and enjoy what you can out of it??
I don't like "movie games" in and of itself. I couldn't give two shyts about this movie.
What’s wrong with you?? :what:
What's wrong with you? You're the one that was saying all this dumb shyt only to have it come back and bite you in the ass now that a Microsoft game is like that.
Devs can kick rocks with this genre.:camby:

I personally enjoy some games that people consider "interactive movies" stuff like The Walking Dead, Heavy Rain, and some of the old point and click games. All very enjoyable experiences. Although they didn't have what would be considered traditional "gameplay" they had puzzles, and interactive bits that made them fun and engaging.

Lately devs have thrown out the "interactive" part and just putting out games where you walk from beginning to end just to be told a nonsensical story. The hype seems to have started with "Gone Home" but at least that game had some interactivity.

Now we've made it to Everybody's Gone To The Rapture, and Beyond Eyes. Two games that were hyped up by platform holders as the next great thing to come out. And both are super boring non interactive, walk down the path till the story ends, shyty excuses for "games".

I hope this genre goes away quick. Its the epitome of some lazy unispired shyt disguised as "art"

The thing is, some games do the interesting story/presentation AND they give you interesting gameplay.

I look at bioshock it was a better "walking simulator" than any of these games AND it has great gameplay.

If removing gameplay/interactivity is the only way to make games "art" then I'll pass :camby:

At least Ethan carter had some puzzles and interactivity. In Egttr and beyond eyes you can't even pick anything up and manipulate the world. You literally just walk as the story is told to you:scust:

It's 4:00PM, you HAD to have beat it already. Less than a full day's shift at work.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Hellblade 2 is just Ryse with mentally crazy broad.
Funny you quoted this, I was looking for this exact interaction.

Y'all love all these PlayStation movies games with shallow and regressed combat and puzzles they slove for you. You press XXXO all day as long as it looks cool on spiderman, GOT or horizon

But Hellblade 2 shatters the cinematic narrative and now y'all on about gameplay and length. :mjlol:

I have zero interest in hellblade it's just funny to see y'all do back flips to change what matters and how much.

It's funny how sometimes a sequel is supposed to be more of the same and not radically changed, and other times the gameplay is what matters most.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I didn't spend $60 on it.

I don't like "movie games" in and of itself. I couldn't give two shyts about this movie.

What's wrong with you? You're the one that was saying all this dumb shyt only to have it come back and bite you in the ass now that a Microsoft game is like that.

It's 4:00PM, you HAD to have beat it already. Less than a full day's shift at work.
Hey man, like i said, i’m in the hellblade thread talking about the game if that’s what you wanna do.

You look kinda crazy right now :huhldup:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Funny you quoted this, I was looking for this exact interaction.

Y'all love all these PlayStation movies games with shallow and regressed combat and puzzles they slove for you.

But Hellblade 2 shatters the cinematic narrative and now y'all on about gameplay and length. :mjlol:

I have zero interest in hellblade it's just funny to see y'all do back flips to change what matters and how much.

It's funny how sometimes a sequel is supposed to be more of the same and not radically changed, and other times the gameplay is what matters most.

What games are shallow with regressed combat and puzzles? :russ: