Go On A Hunger Strike To Protest A Bike Lane Restaurant Owner Arabreh

bnew

Veteran
Daps

No salvaging new center-striped bike lane on Valencia Street, San Francisco cyclists say​

ValenciaCyclists060723_11.jpg
Cyclists ride in the bike lane on Valencia Street in San Francisco on Thursday. | Source:Jeremy Chen/The Standard

By Ida MojadadPublished Jul. 07, 2023 • 3:00pm

Cyclists and transit advocates have long sought safety improvements on Valencia Street, a major north-south route through the Mission District that’s been known to have higher rates of serious or fatal collisions. But before they’re even finished, the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency’s new center-striped bike lanes have some bike riders begging for an alternative.

Since construction began on a bikeway down the center of Valencia Street between 15th and 23rd streets a couple months ago, there have been at least two reported cyclist crashes related to the installation in progress. Cars, meant to be separated from the middle, have continued to drive down the middle lane, barreling through the freshly installed buffers.

Although signage directs cyclists to use the full vehicular lane until construction is complete, many choose to ride down the incomplete bikeways, which are separated by rubber curbs, to avoid cars and all the tension that can come with them.

To prevent serious injuries—or worse—other cyclists are avoiding Valencia altogether.

“I’ve seen nearly everything that could go wrong, go wrong,” said Luke Bornheimer, a transportation activist behind Better Valencia, which opposed the design before it was approved. “I don’t think there’s any salvaging this.”

The transit agency approved the controversial design in April as a pilot through October 2024. By moving bike lanes from between the parking and driving lanes to the middle of the street, the agency said it will roughly double the number of loading spaces on the nightlife- and retail-heavy Valencia. Previously, the heavily used street had seen a great deal of double-parking at all hours.

The project also reduced the number of general parking spaces by about roughly one-fifth while creating 40 new metered parking spaces on side streets.

Overall, the redesign was intended to make the area safer for cyclists and pedestrians. From January 2018 to December 2022, there were 132 collisions causing injuries on that stretch of Valencia Street. In January, a driver fatally struck a woman while turning left on 16th and Valencia. Cyclists make up 45% of all collisions in the area due to unsafe turning, lane changes and vehicle passengers opening doors that cyclists can crash into, according to the SFMTA.

This is why cyclists have sought a protected bike lane along the curb, which was once proposed for Valencia between 19th Street and Cesar Chavez Street but not presented as an option to the SFMTA Board of Directors.

Though the project is a pilot, cyclists like Bornheimer fear that the longer the design is in use, the likelihood increases that people will get seriously hurt or killed.

While neighborhood cyclist Parker Day thinks it will be safer for cyclists once construction is complete, he agrees with Bornheimer that the final result will be worse than what came before. He has also called into question the design and reasoning behind it.

While cars can easily hop over the new curbs, cyclists may simply crash. Further, there are only limited spaces for cyclists to enter and exit. Spacing is especially tight for bikes with cargo, such as parents riding with children seated behind them, Day added.

“People are going to hit that curb, and they’re going to fall, and I hope they don’t get hurt and run over when it happens,” Day said. “It’s the only option SFMTA was willing to try. I don't understand how the MTA could’ve decided this is better.”

The transit agency said staff reached out to transit agencies in Washington, D.C., and New York, which have center-running bikeways, for guidance and best practices. Spokesperson Stephen Chun said SFMTA is aware of two collisions in the bikeway, one of which the San Francisco Police Department confirmed to the agency.

“The SFMTA proposed this configuration because it was the best design alternative available, given the physical and contextual circumstances and constraints along the corridor,” Chun said. “SFMTA will continue implementation, and once the pilot officially begins, we will evaluate the design and make design revisions as needed.”

TELL ME YA CHEESIN FAM?

I walk around a little edgy already
Daps
Reppin
The H

No salvaging new center-striped bike lane on Valencia Street, San Francisco cyclists say​

ValenciaCyclists060723_11.jpg
Cyclists ride in the bike lane on Valencia Street in San Francisco on Thursday. | Source:Jeremy Chen/The Standard

By Ida MojadadPublished Jul. 07, 2023 • 3:00pm

Cyclists and transit advocates have long sought safety improvements on Valencia Street, a major north-south route through the Mission District that’s been known to have higher rates of serious or fatal collisions. But before they’re even finished, the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency’s new center-striped bike lanes have some bike riders begging for an alternative.

Since construction began on a bikeway down the center of Valencia Street between 15th and 23rd streets a couple months ago, there have been at least two reported cyclist crashes related to the installation in progress. Cars, meant to be separated from the middle, have continued to drive down the middle lane, barreling through the freshly installed buffers.

Although signage directs cyclists to use the full vehicular lane until construction is complete, many choose to ride down the incomplete bikeways, which are separated by rubber curbs, to avoid cars and all the tension that can come with them.

To prevent serious injuries—or worse—other cyclists are avoiding Valencia altogether.

“I’ve seen nearly everything that could go wrong, go wrong,” said Luke Bornheimer, a transportation activist behind Better Valencia, which opposed the design before it was approved. “I don’t think there’s any salvaging this.”

The transit agency approved the controversial design in April as a pilot through October 2024. By moving bike lanes from between the parking and driving lanes to the middle of the street, the agency said it will roughly double the number of loading spaces on the nightlife- and retail-heavy Valencia. Previously, the heavily used street had seen a great deal of double-parking at all hours.

The project also reduced the number of general parking spaces by about roughly one-fifth while creating 40 new metered parking spaces on side streets.

Overall, the redesign was intended to make the area safer for cyclists and pedestrians. From January 2018 to December 2022, there were 132 collisions causing injuries on that stretch of Valencia Street. In January, a driver fatally struck a woman while turning left on 16th and Valencia. Cyclists make up 45% of all collisions in the area due to unsafe turning, lane changes and vehicle passengers opening doors that cyclists can crash into, according to the SFMTA.

This is why cyclists have sought a protected bike lane along the curb, which was once proposed for Valencia between 19th Street and Cesar Chavez Street but not presented as an option to the SFMTA Board of Directors.

Though the project is a pilot, cyclists like Bornheimer fear that the longer the design is in use, the likelihood increases that people will get seriously hurt or killed.

While neighborhood cyclist Parker Day thinks it will be safer for cyclists once construction is complete, he agrees with Bornheimer that the final result will be worse than what came before. He has also called into question the design and reasoning behind it.

While cars can easily hop over the new curbs, cyclists may simply crash. Further, there are only limited spaces for cyclists to enter and exit. Spacing is especially tight for bikes with cargo, such as parents riding with children seated behind them, Day added.

“People are going to hit that curb, and they’re going to fall, and I hope they don’t get hurt and run over when it happens,” Day said. “It’s the only option SFMTA was willing to try. I don't understand how the MTA could’ve decided this is better.”

The transit agency said staff reached out to transit agencies in Washington, D.C., and New York, which have center-running bikeways, for guidance and best practices. Spokesperson Stephen Chun said SFMTA is aware of two collisions in the bikeway, one of which the San Francisco Police Department confirmed to the agency.

“The SFMTA proposed this configuration because it was the best design alternative available, given the physical and contextual circumstances and constraints along the corridor,” Chun said. “SFMTA will continue implementation, and once the pilot officially begins, we will evaluate the design and make design revisions as needed.”

That design is ass breh

bnew

Veteran
Daps

1/1
I almost got taken out by an alert Minivan driver with her hands firmly at 12 and 2 last night. As such, I'm officially coming out against the Valencia middle Bike Lane. Safety changes to prevent situations like this are long overdue and the leaders seem asleep at the wheel.

To post tweets in this format, more info here: https://www.thecoli.com/threads/tips-and-tricks-for-posting-the-coli-megathread.984734/post-52211196

1/6
san francisco: oh the valencia bike lane! how's it going? let's check on the flex posts

2/6
hobart building still having moderate kerning issues

3/6
Bad Walgreens, I've missed you

4/6
my "days without waking up to screams" counter had gotten up to 2, because I'm away from my baby, but had to reset it last night, because I'm in San Francisco

5/6
oh, yep! a flex post flexes if a car runs it over. a bollard doesn't.
(is that right
@WorldBollard ?)

6/6
moderate opsec breach, some more of my coworkers now know my @

(it's ok they're cool and I like them, hi friends)

To post tweets in this format, more info here: https://www.thecoli.com/threads/tips-and-tricks-for-posting-the-coli-megathread.984734/post-52211196
GLUEBMdWIAAo-dr.jpg

1/2
Biked the center Valencia bike lane today for the first time. Perfect. No notes.
@sfbike
@SFMTA_Muni

2/2
That kinda blew up. Anyway, my (hot?) take is Valencia should be one way and I'm sure a few smart people can design a concrete median that emergency vehicles can cross if needed.

F5wxBCiaIAA1Gg4.jpg

1/1
Can we begin enforcing traffic laws in SF again? Over the past few years enforcement has essentially stopped and aggressive driving seems to be normalized. /cc
@GrowSF

GI1zjEBawAAoOPq.jpg

1/2
SFMTA Cites Improved Road Safety With Valencia Street Bike Lane, but Some Disagree

2/2
ACLU Northern California’s legal director Shilpi Agarwal called the idea — that anyone disrupted by a protest can seek financial payment from protesters — a “red flag.”

1/2
The center bike lane on Valencia Street will stick around for the rest of the year as transportation officials consider the best final design for the corridor.

2/2
San Francisco City Attorney David Chiu is suing the City of Oakland after its Port Commission voted last week to approve renaming Oakland International Airport.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
I ride my bike a lot in chicago we don't have anything like that

it's a cheap and lazy design, not safe at all.

1/5
SFMTA just sent out an update about the Valencia Street center bikeway pilot, which includes a note that SFMTA is “meeting with merchants to figure out the best design for a [curbside protected] bike lane.” Positive news!

Please sign the related petition: Support Pedestrianizing Valencia or Installing Protected Bike Lanes

2/5
Curbside protected bike lanes with curbside parklets — with parklets directly along the sidewalk — are the safest design that’s better for businesses and people using parkelts.

SFMTA should move forward with this design for between 15th and Cesar Chavez to make Valencia better.

3/5
Curbside bike lanes — or “side-running” as SFMTA refers to them — with curbside parklets reduce conflicts between people walking, biking, scooting, and using mobility devices and reduce car noise and danger for people in parklets.

This design is better for business and safety

4/5
But also, the solution to bad design that is dependent on people reading signs is not more and bigger signs!

Please stop wasting more time and money on signs, and expedite the installation of a (self-enforcing) design that is proven to increase safety and bike ridership quickly!

5/5
If you already signed the Better Valencia petition (Support Pedestrianizing Valencia or Installing Protected Bike Lanes), please share it then send an email to Mayor Breed and the SFMTA Board in two taps using http://tinyurl.com/ValenciaSFMTA. SFMTA can immediately make Valencia safer and better for business, but it needs to act.

GKbTaYeb0AA0XIM.jpg

GKbVXMoasAAuMij.jpg

GKbWhOoaIAAEHD9.jpg

GKbXTy7a4AAVEeV.jpg

Last edited:

UWasntThere

Superstar
Daps
Looks like you have a buncha fakkit bikers in San Fran gettin cucked by cars

If you double park in a bike lane here they'll smash your windshield

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
A hunger strike.

If everyone was like me that shyt wouldn't even exist.

From the first mf that ever thought of it til now. I wouldn't respond to that shyt AT ALL.

Im over here doing something you truly don't like. You come out and say you're not gonna eat until I stop. You gonna be a waiting, hungry mother fukcer. I wouldn't even feel bad. I'd come by everyday to get a look at you.

"Damn Breh. Not looking too hot. I have a lunchable right here."