[GI.biz] Black Ops 6 is make-or-break for the Game Pass strategy

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
97gehe.jpg

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I need OP or one of his five-star generals to explain how.

Subs increase doesn't hit what they are looking for maybe?

Unlike the past, MS is footing the bill for COD development, marketing (well Sony lessened that part), servers, etc whereas Activision did in the past.

But on the flipside, they get the Lions share of the revenue now from Sony/PC.

Thinking If the GP Subs increase doesn't hit projections, it may push their plans for more multiplatform development or just go straight full publisher in the future. There's a lot more personnel and much more costs involved vs the past. Can't trust Phil, but Nutella is doing too much hinting on wanting to go full multiplat/publisher.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
If it wasn't on Gamepass, more gamers would buy COD for PS5. I have both PS5 and XSX. because its on Gamepass, I bought Gamepass so I could play it on Xbox without paying full price.

This benefits Microsoft because I'll continue to renew gamepass ($19.99) to play it, versus a one time fee to purchase and the lowest basic service to play it ($9.99). Their ultimate goal is to sell more of Gamepass Ultimate.

I don't even see how they are making more money off of Gamepass Ultimate than actually selling games though....

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Subs increase doesn't hit what they are looking for maybe?

Unlike the past, MS is footing the bill for COD development, marketing (well Sony lessened that part), servers, etc whereas Activision did in the past.

But on the flipside, they get the Lions share of the revenue now from Sony/PC.

Thinking If the GP Subs increase doesn't hit projections, it may push their plans for more multiplatform development or just go straight full publisher in the future. There's a lot more personnel and much more costs involved vs the past. Can't trust Phil, but Nutella is doing too much hinting on wanting to go full multiplat/publisher.

Yep, Microsoft is spending money both developing and marketing the game now. So 70% of sales for them cost more than 30% of sales for sony who no longer have to pay for a marketing roll out every year on top of a higher % to Activision. I think sony were paying them 35%

they are really relying on increasing gamepass subs with this, a huge demo of would be buyers of COD could overlap with people who already subscribe to gamepass which is a loss of sale and not increasing subs

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If it wasn't on Gamepass, more gamers would buy COD for PS5. I have both PS5 and XSX. because its on Gamepass, I bought Gamepass so I could play it on Xbox without paying full price.

This benefits Microsoft because I'll continue to renew gamepass ($19.99) to play it, versus a one time fee to purchase and the lowest basic service to play it ($9.99). Their ultimate goal is to sell more of Gamepass Ultimate.

I don't even see how they are making more money off of Gamepass Ultimate than actually selling games though....
Faulty thinking here. More people are on PS5 therefore more people in general are going to buy COD on PS5. PS5 and Series X/S install base isn't equal so in your case you may be doing that but in most other cases those who've been buying COD on Playstation since forever will still be buying COD on Playstation. They're not going to go out and buy a whole new console and sub for $20 a month just to play COD.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Faulty thinking here. More people are on PS5 therefore more people in general are going to buy COD on PS5. PS5 and Series X/S install base isn't equal so in your case you may be doing that but in most other cases those who've been buying COD on Playstation since forever will still be buying COD on Playstation. They're not going to go out and buy a whole new console and sub for $20 a month just to play COD.

Yeah, the playstation COD players are already entrenched in their yearly cycle. Microsoft isn’t even advertising COD with gamepass like that to begin with, i doubt most people casual or otherwise know or even care