Ghanaian government advised to limit number of children to three per family

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
Ghanaian government advised to limit number of children to three per family | CGTN Africa - Strengthening news coverage in Africa

Experts in Ghana’s National Population Council have proposed to the government to limit the number of children to three per family to curb the population fast growth rate, reports Citi FM online.

“The way forward is to have a population policy implemented, the growth rate should be reduced and we have to talk about the quality of life,” Executive Director of the National Population Council, Leticia Adelaide Appiah said.

Ms. Appiah believes the restriction will ensure quality in human resource as well in the West African nation.

The 2016 Population and Housing Census pegged Ghana’s total population at 28.21 million while a United Nations estimates it to be 28.73 million as of August 20, 2017.

Ms. Leticia Appiah said an astronomical growth rate of 2.5 has been maintained in Ghana for the last 30 years, negatively affecting the country’s economy and development.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
industrialization and jobs would naturally lower the birth rate but this is cool i guess.

Yea.. industrialization and jobs would.. but that would mean resource usage. And the western world/whites can't have that

"family planning" will decrease the number and leave the resources :mjpls:

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
Something Nigeria should think about doing. The thing is a lot of these African countries have enough landmass to accommodate the population. Nigeria for example is a large country yet it seems like all people want to come to Lagos (a city of 25 million - more than 10% of the population in one city) where traffic is unbearable and takes a toll on the little infrastructure present.

The other states are sparsely populated because there is no jobs and anything worthwhile. The normal process is high population at the beginning of the development t create a mass unskilled labor force, as a country becomes more educated, industrialized and switches to a service-based economy, the standard of living increasing then couples have less children. That's the normal process.

In Africa however, industrialization has not taken place even though the human capital is there. So what you end up having is over populated countries with high unemployment, young people not going to school or in the informal sector (selling phone units, things in the middle of the road) or child beggars.

Last edited:

I.AM.PIFF

You're minor, we're major
Supporter
Daps
Something Nigeria should think about doing. The thing is a lot of these African countries have enough landmass to accommodate the population. Nigeria for example is a large country yet it seems like all people want to come to Lagos (a city of 25 million - more than 10% of the population in one city) where traffic is unbearable and takes a toll on the little infrastructure present.

Nigeria has like190 millions people for an area that's not even 1 million km2. That'd be more than 200 people per km2 which is huge for a country its size. Among countries with more than 500K km2, only India & Pakistan have larger population density than Nigeria.

Add the fact that people tend to flock to bigger cities and you get plenty of issues.

773px-Population_density_map_of_Nigerian_states_-_English.png

As it is right now, Nigeria can't really support much more population growth.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Nigeria has like190 millions people for an area that's not even 1 million km2. That'd be more than 200 people per km2 which is huge for a country its size. Among countries with more than 500K km2, only India & Pakistan have larger population density than Nigeria.

Add the fact that people tend to flock to bigger cities and you get plenty of issues.

773px-Population_density_map_of_Nigerian_states_-_English.png

As it is right now, Nigeria can't really support much more population growth.
Nowhere on earth is overpopulated, no nation is overpopulated.
Ghana and Nigeria are victims of terrible ineffective and corrupt governments.
In Ghana murdering "surplus" kids or forcing sterilization isn't the answer to solving any of the true issues that are keeping the country back.

I.AM.PIFF

Supporter
Daps
Nowhere on earth is overpopulated, no nation is overpopulated.
Ghana and Nigeria are victims of terrible ineffective and corrupt governments.
In Ghana murdering "surplus" kids or forcing sterilization isn't the answer to solving any of the true issues that are keeping the country back.

It is when you get overcrowded places where localities cannot effectively support the population. In which, yes, corruption and effectiveness play a role.

And there's nothing about forced sterilization or murder I read about. Hopefully, it doesn't get to that point.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Industrialization isn't just something you do over night....this is much more immediate.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
It is when you get overcrowded places where localities cannot effectively support the population. In which, yes, corruption and effectiveness play a role.

And there's nothing about forced sterilization or murder I read about. Hopefully, it doesn't get to that point.
How do you think a government can stick with a 3 child limit and mean it? Either they sterilize the mother after 3 children, or they kill the child if its born over the limit or the parents kill the child if its not one they want to "waste" their limit on.

I.AM.PIFF

Supporter
Daps
How do you think a government can stick with a 3 child limit and mean it? Either they sterilize the mother after 3 children, or they kill the child if its born over the limit or the parents kill the child if its not one they want to "waste" their limit on.

Fines and penalties for families who go over the limit?

i'm not really in favor but it's much more feasible now than industrialization and limiting corruption. And I believe Ghana is one of the least corrupt and more stable democracies on the continent.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Fines and penalties for families who go over the limit?

i'm not really in favor but it's much more feasible now than industrialization and limiting corruption. And I believe Ghana is one of the least corrupt and more stable democracies on the continent.
Fines and penalities doesn't seem like a limit on children does it?
The ultimate basis of every law is if you don't follow that government will ultimately kill you to enforce the law.
If we look at China and their 1 child policy as an example what occurred due to the policy was massive death of female children so families wouldn't "waste" their one child on a girl.

How is it feasible to grant a government power to dictate by force if neccessary what a woman can do with her body and the number of children a family could have, than say removing that corrupt government.
Ghana being the best of a terrible grouping of governments isn't a good thing.
Removal of cronyist government, opening of economic avenues of development for the people, as well as using resources to push job creation for companies that want to enter the market and working out free trade agreements is a way it can rapidly industrialize, but authorizing the corrupt government to expand its power to the number of children a family can have, isn't the answer at all.

I.AM.PIFF

Supporter
Daps
Removal of cronyist government, opening of economic avenues of development for the people, as well as using resources to push job creation for companies that want to enter the market and working out free trade agreements is a way it can rapidly industrialize, but authorizing the corrupt government to expand its power to the number of children a family can have, isn't the answer at all.

You act as if this is the easiest thing to do. Ghana, like most African countries unfortunately, relies to much on natural resources for its economy. Namely oil, gold & cocoa products. This makes corruption and hoarding of resources much more easier.

Plus, there's no law in place, just a few ghanian news outlets reporting on this.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
You act as if this is the easiest thing to do. Ghana, like most African countries unfortunately, relies to much on natural resources for its economy. Namely oil, gold & cocoa products. This makes corruption and hoarding of resources much more easier.

Plus, there's no law in place, just a few ghanian news outlets reporting on this.
Its easier than enforcing a child limit policy, which is my point.
Nothing wrong with relying on natural resources, that is typically the starting point for every economy on the face of the earth, and those are great resources to have.
Corruption is the issue and cronyism, like I said, so its easier to remove the government than enact a policy that would monitor all the families and females in the nation and count how many children they have and either jail them, kill their kids over the limit, or sterilize them if they go over the limit.

This very thread is about the enaction of this proposed policy, if you don't understand that I don't know what to tell you, this is what I'm talking about.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
industrialization and jobs would naturally lower the birth rate but this is cool i guess.

Indeed. Demographic change happens when a country develops, not before. That's how it's always been, everywhere, unless you want to do like China and have a very strong central gov who can make sure the policy is respected (and end up with millions of undocumented kids).

Ironically when Macron said the same thing about African countries, tons of Black people were mad as hell. Turns out many brehs agree.

• Dap
Reactions: Dip