Getting off low-carb so I can lift and run. How much carbs do I need?

Vinny Lupton

Superstar
Daps
Peace crehs
So I've been doing low-carb on and off for years but I want to add some strength and cardiovascular stamina to my lifestyle. I been eating carbs (usually brown rice or a starchy veg) a few hours before the gym but I haven't really been managing or measuring it.

On the days that I do lifting and running (say 20 min of cardio. medium effort. not a slow jog but not HIIT running either), how many grams of carbs should I be trying to limit myself to?

and can I spread em out during the day or do I need to only have em a certain amt of time before working out?

Do I need to add carbs after?

What about the days in between when I don't go to the gym at all, or days when I do weights only and no running?

I think I'm about 190 right now if that matters

Reps available

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Define what was low carb to you.

Big picture on your question it depends on a lot of factors, most of which only you can determine.

Overall you have to judge it based of your level of intensity in the gym and how your recovery goes.

If you are really just getting into lifting don’t over complicate it. Just eat good fuel overall.

Last edited:

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Dont skimp on carbs, our bodies were literally designed to run on it

My cardio game skyrocketed when I stopped doing it fasted. I'd rather do a strong 1000kcal ride after a ~300kcal bowl of oatmeal than a struggle 400-500kcal ride fasted. Just follow your instinct and watch the scale

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
Peace crehs
So I've been doing low-carb on and off for years but I want to add some strength and cardiovascular stamina to my lifestyle. I been eating carbs (usually brown rice or a starchy veg) a few hours before the gym but I haven't really been managing or measuring it.

On the days that I do lifting and running (say 20 min of cardio. medium effort. not a slow jog but not HIIT running either), how many grams of carbs should I be trying to limit myself to?

and can I spread em out during the day or do I need to only have em a certain amt of time before working out?

Do I need to add carbs after?

What about the days in between when I don't go to the gym at all, or days when I do weights only and no running?

I think I'm about 190 right now if that matters

Reps available

Theres plenty of macro calculators that give u all this info of how much carbs a day u should eat. It really doesnt matter so long as u meet your protein and calorie needs if u wanna keep it 100. Carb counting should only matter when ur on keto or low carb. Also, doesnt matter when u consume them. I always lift on a fasted state and dont see any difference in my peformance to when i used to lift mid day after eating. Everyone is different though so it varies. If u wanna be precise about your carbs/macro, google TDEE calculator. It determines your calories and mavros based off your activity levels and goals.

Vinny Lupton

Superstar
Daps
Theres plenty of macro calculators that give u all this info of how much carbs a day u should eat. It really doesnt matter so long as u meet your protein and calorie needs if u wanna keep it 100. Carb counting should only matter when ur on keto or low carb. Also, doesnt matter when u consume them. I always lift on a fasted state and dont see any difference in my peformance to when i used to lift mid day after eating. Everyone is different though so it varies. If u wanna be precise about your carbs/macro, google TDEE calculator. It determines your calories and mavros based off your activity levels and goals.
Thanks for the help creh

Vinny Lupton

Superstar
Daps
Define what was low carb to you.

Big picture on your question it depends on a lot of factors, most of which only you can determine.

Overall you have to judge it based of your level of intensity in the gym and how your recovery goes.

If you are really just getting into lifting don’t over complicate it. Just eat good fuel overall.
I was doing like almost no carbs at all. Egg whites for breakfast, protein shakes and turkey during the day, chicken and broccoli at night type shyt

Dont skimp on carbs, our bodies were literally designed to run on it

My cardio game skyrocketed when I stopped doing it fasted. I'd rather do a strong 1000kcal ride after a ~300kcal bowl of oatmeal than a struggle 400-500kcal ride fasted. Just follow your instinct and watch the scale
One thing I know I should do is weights first then run after..do you take any preworkout stuff like those glycogen gels?

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
One thing I know I should do is weights first then run after..do you take any preworkout stuff like those glycogen gels?
No I dont fukk with preworkout. Even on my newborn's sleep schedule I still get things done in the gym. You may be trying to do too much in the gym at one time. Maybe try cardio in the morning and lifting at night. Or cardio one day and lifting the next.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
I was doing like almost no carbs at all. Egg whites for breakfast, protein shakes and turkey during the day, chicken and broccoli at night type shyt

I would just add them in and see how your energy levels.

I don’t get the sense that you will be doing workouts that are really going to deplete your glycogen level but I could be wrong.

Just focus on good balanced meals within your calories/macro goals. Take some time to train without a lot of supplements so you have a sense of how your body is reacting.

I wouldn’t spend the cash on the glycogen gels.

Vinny Lupton

Superstar
Daps
I would just add them in and see how your energy levels.

I don’t get the sense that you will be doing workouts that are really going to deplete your glycogen level but I could be wrong.

Just focus on good balanced meals within your calories/macro goals. Take some time to train without a lot of supplements so you have a sense of how your body is reacting.

I wouldn’t spend the cash on the glycogen gels.
Should I be doing cardio first before weights? (on the days I do both)

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I equally want to lose my gut, add some muscle, and not get winded them I'm throwing this D
lose fat & add muscle is a hard one unless you're super new. you can maintain your existing lean mass and shed fat tho - that alone will make you look like you put on muscle cuz the definition. depending on how much you need to lose, i'd gear my diet toward that first.

Vinny Lupton

Superstar
Daps
lose fat & add muscle is a hard one unless you're super new. you can maintain your existing lean mass and shed fat tho - that alone will make you look like you put on muscle cuz the definition. depending on how much you need to lose, i'd gear my diet toward that first.
so gear my diet towards losing fat? what would be the difference between a diet for losing fat and a diet for gaining muscle?