Get rid of paywalls on news sites. Works for 90% of the internet.

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
Tired of this shyt?
1200px-Paywall_Example.svg.png

Me too. Lets bust on these bytches. :bustback: :bustback: :bustback: :bustback: :bustback: :bustback: :bustback: :pacspit:

(EDIT: removed git instructions. not necessary)

You can download the .zip file from GitLab here: Bypass Paywalls Clean - GitLab

Screenshot-from-2022-07-24-13-49-04.png

Now that you have the Extension downloaded to your hard drive, you can install it manually. Open the Extensions window in Chrome (chrome://extensions) and make sure the "Developer Mode" switch on the top right is active:
Screenshot-from-2022-07-24-13-52-43.png

Just drag the entire folder into the Chrome window to install:
Screenshot-from-2022-07-24-14-03-39.png

In a few seconds, a couple tabs will pop open in Chrome. For the sites list, make sure ALL the boxes are checked:
Screenshot-from-2022-07-24-13-53-53.png

You'll want to enable custom sites as well as import the JSON from GitLab. Chrome will ask for more permissions. Allow them:
Screenshot-from-2022-07-24-13-54-59.png

Now import the JSON:
Screenshot-from-2022-07-24-13-54-34.png

And you're all set. This should kill 90% of the paywalls online. Works great on damn near every site I've tested it on. It will ask for updated permissions pretty regularly, because the creator is constantly adding new sites.

Information should be free.

:bustback::bustback::bustback::bustback::bustback::bustback::bustback::bustback::bustback::bustback::bustback:

Last edited:

s@n

All Star
Daps
Tired of this shyt?
1200px-Paywall_Example.svg.png

Me too. Lets bust on these bytches. :bustback: :bustback: :bustback: :bustback: :bustback: :bustback: :bustback: :pacspit:

There's two ways to do this: the easiest way is to use Git. Git is a program, available for all OSes, that simplifies fetching remote directories of source code to be edited and compiled. We're not going to compile anything today, but we can use Git to fetch the directory for our Chrome extension, or we can download a .zip file.

In your Terminal, cd to wherever you wanna keep our Extension. You don't want to delete this folder, so put it somewhere safe. Now run the following command:

[EDIT: the forum ate the URL. but if you use Git you already know how to clone anyway.]

Screenshot-from-2022-07-24-13-48-36.png

If you dont have Git, you can download the .zip file from GitLab here: Bypass Paywalls Clean - GitLab

Screenshot-from-2022-07-24-13-49-04.png

Now that you have the Extension downloaded to your hard drive, you can install it manually. Open the Extensions window in Chrome (chrome://extensions) and make sure the "Developer Mode" switch on the top right is active:
Screenshot-from-2022-07-24-13-52-43.png

Just drag the entire folder into the Chrome window to install:
Screenshot-from-2022-07-24-14-03-39.png

In a few seconds, a couple tabs will pop open in Chrome. For the sites list, make sure ALL the boxes are checked:
Screenshot-from-2022-07-24-13-53-53.png

You'll want to enable custom sites as well as import the JSON from GitLab. Chrome will ask for more permissions. Allow them:
Screenshot-from-2022-07-24-13-54-59.png

Now import the JSON:
Screenshot-from-2022-07-24-13-54-34.png

And you're all set. This should kill 90% of the paywalls online. Works great on damn near every site I've tested it on. It will ask for updated permissions pretty regularly, because the creator is constantly adding new sites.

Information should be free.

:bustback::bustback::bustback::bustback::bustback::bustback::bustback::bustback::bustback::bustback::bustback:
Hold this rep, fam

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I've used this method for quite some time. I can vouch for it. It does work fairly well. Where you really run into issues is with websites for local papers and stuff like that. But for the mainstream stuff it works.

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
I've used this method for quite some time. I can vouch for it. It does work fairly well. Where you really run into issues is with websites for local papers and stuff like that. But for the mainstream stuff it works.
a lot of times for local news sites you can just toggle off JavaScript. it usually works.

I'm not gonna do this. I typically try pasting the URL into outline.com.

otherwise, I say fukk it and get my content elsewhere.
this is cool too. im lazy too... i dont blame anybody who just says fukk it up and gives up lmao

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I'm not gonna do this. I typically try pasting the URL into outline.com.

otherwise, I say fukk it and get my content elsewhere.
What is outline.com? I went to the page but it looks like it's under construction.

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
What is outline.com? I went to the page but it looks like it's under construction.
there are a few sites out there you can paste a paywalled URL into and i'll unlock it for you... archive.is is a popular one too. try googling for 'paywall remover'

honestly my guide just requires you to download a zip file, unzip it, and drag the folder into chrome, then click a few checkboxes. i just added a ton of pics so i wouldnt have to keep coming back and bumping the thread with detailed instructions.

btw if you do follow my guide, make sure you dont delete the bypass-paywalls-clean folder from your hard drive! it will remove the extension

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
there are a few sites out there you can paste a paywalled URL into and i'll unlock it for you... archive.is is a popular one too. try googling for 'paywall remover'

honestly my guide just requires you to download a zip file, unzip it, and drag the folder into chrome, then click a few checkboxes. i just added a ton of pics so i wouldnt have to keep coming back and bumping the thread with detailed instructions.

btw if you do follow my guide, make sure you dont delete the bypass-paywalls-clean folder from your hard drive! it will remove the extension
Yeah I'm aware of the paywall blocker that you posted. I'd been using it for a while. It just never dawned on me that there was a site where you could paste the url and get by the paywall. But the site that beaniemac posted didn't look like a working site outright. That's why I asked about it.

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
Yeah I'm aware of the paywall blocker that you posted. I'd been using it for a while. It just never dawned on me that there was a site where you could paste the url and get by the paywall. But the site that beaniemac posted didn't look like a working site outright. That's why I asked about it.
you ever try the AutoPagerizer? it automatically loads and inserts the next page so you can just keep scrolling until the thread runs out of pages. VERY useful here on thecoli with some of these 70+ page posts!

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
you ever try the AutoPagerizer? it automatically loads and inserts the next page so you can just keep scrolling until the thread runs out of pages. VERY useful here on thecoli with some of these 70+ page posts!

I used to use a similar extension back in the old SOHH days

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Can someone get past the paywall of the following article?