The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Apple: U.S. tariffs will cut our economic contribution and aid rivals

JEREMY HORWITZ@HORWITZ JUNE 20, 2019 8:32 AM
2017-11-03t091237z_1_lynxmpeda20jq_rtroptp_4_apple-iphone-e1557851041395.jpg

Above: The first customer shows his new iPhone X after buying it at an Apple Store in Beijing, China November 3, 2017.

Facing the imminent imposition of 25% United States tariffs on virtually all of its Chinese-manufactured products, Apple is publicly urging the U.S. government “not to proceed with these tariffs,” which it claims will cut its contributions to the economy and help foreign rivals. The request was disclosed today (via CNBC) in a letter sent on Monday to U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer, only part of which is being publicly disclosed due to business confidentiality concerns.

In the public version of the letter, Apple notes that the 25% tariffs “cover all of Apple’s major products, including iPhone, iPad, Mac, AirPods, and AppleTV,” plus their accessories and the parts used to repair them. Reaffirming its position as the United States’ largest federal corporate taxpayer and a multi-billion-dollar local taxpayer, Apple mentions its prior five-year, $350 billion commitment to investments in the U.S., and takes credit for creating 2 million U.S. jobs either directly or indirectly.

Without providing details, Apple claims that the tariffs would “result in a reduction of Apple’s U.S. economic contribution,” and “tilt the playing field in favor of our global competitors,” which don’t have a significant U.S. presence and wouldn’t be nearly as impacted by tariffs. Supporting information for the latter claim is redacted in the public letter, and the former claim appears to be little more than a suggestion that tariffs will hurt sales, resulting in less tax revenue, and less cash for Apple to use towards investments in U.S. initiatives.

The short letter makes no explicit threat to change Apple’s business practices in the event that tariffs are imposed, so it’s unclear whether the company would actually kill or delay U.S. projects in response. But it appears to be a certainty that the already high prices of Apple’s products will go up further in the event of tariffs, as the company names everything from the “major” devices above to its iPod touch, HomePod, Beats headphones, and keyboards as subject to the Made in China manufacturing duties.

So far, Apple’s emergency mitigations appear to be exclusively outside the United States. It is reportedly mulling the move of up to 30% of its manufacturing capacity out of China to Vietnam, India, and other countries in a response to the ongoing U.S.-China trade tensions, regardless of what happens with the tariffs. Top manufacturer Foxconn and other major assemblers have already started building plants outside China to handle Apple’s U.S. demand. The U.S. and Chinese presidents are expected to meet in Japan next month to

Blackfyre

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Earthrealm

@mkraju
Trump confirms he pulled back from Iran attack
Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
Replying to @realDonaldTrump
....On Monday they shot down an unmanned drone flying in International Waters. We were cocked & loaded to retaliate last night on 3 different sights when I asked, how many will die. 150 people, sir, was the answer from a General. 10 minutes before the strike I stopped it, not....

09:07 - 21 Jun 2019
@MSNBC
BREAKING: In tweets, President Trump says US was prepared to retaliate against Iran on 3 sites last night, but when he was advised of potential for “150 people” to be killed, he stopped the strike, saying it would not be proportional to the shooting down of an unmanned US drone.

09:12 - 21 Jun 2019

Blackfyre

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Earthrealm

Blackfyre

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Earthrealm
@MeetThePress
EXCLUSIVE: In an exclusive interview with Chuck Todd, President Donald Trump says he hadn’t given final approval to Iran strikes, no planes were in the air.
12:50 - 21 Jun 2019

Blackfyre

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Earthrealm
@NoreenMalone
More than two decades ago, the now-president forcibly and violently penetrated E. Jean Carroll in the dressing room at Bergdorf Goodman. Her story. Donald Trump Assaulted Me, But He’s Not Alone on My List of Hideous Men
12:27 - 21 Jun 2019
Twitter Ads information and privacy
The moment the dressing-room door is closed, he lunges at me, pushes me against the wall, hitting my head quite badly, and puts his mouth against my lips. I am so shocked I shove him back and start laughing again. He seizes both my arms and pushes me up against the wall a second time, and, as I become aware of how large he is, he holds me against the wall with his shoulder and jams his hand under my coat dress and pulls down my tights.

I am astonished by what I’m about to write: I keep laughing. The next moment, still wearing correct business attire, shirt, tie, suit jacket, overcoat, he opens the overcoat, unzips his pants, and, forcing his fingers around my private area, thrusts his penis halfway — or completely, I’m not certain — inside me. It turns into a colossal struggle. I am wearing a pair of sturdy black patent-leather four-inch Barneys high heels, which puts my height around six-one, and I try to stomp his foot. I try to push him off with my one free hand — for some reason, I keep holding my purse with the other — and I finally get a knee up high enough to push him out and off and I turn, open the door, and run out of the dressing room.

Last edited: