General Elon Musk Fukkery Thread

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tesla being part of the Magnificent 7 is looking funny in the light.

The other 6 companies (Microsoft, Google, Nvidia, Meta, Apple, Amazon) are all hitting or near record high stock prices while Tesla has gone in the opposite direction.

The market is slowly coming to that realization.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Tesla being part of the Magnificent 7 is looking funny in the light.

The other 6 companies (Microsoft, Google, Nvidia, Meta, Apple, Amazon) are all hitting or near record high stock prices while Tesla has gone in the opposite direction.

Imagine if people had looked at real economic strength instead of social media hype.

Those other companies each dominate their respective fields. Tesla isn't even a top-10 auto company in terms of sales, it carries less than 2% of market share. Even if you only include electric vehicles, it has less than 15% of global market share and looks likely to drop further. I wouldn't be at all surprised if in five years Tesla is struggling to crack the top-5 in global EV sales.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
:lolbron: Don't you need a Phone Number for Verification?

i've come across so many suspended accounts on there, it'd be crazy to rely on it as your primary means of communication if you're not he owner of the platform. he's demonstrated repeatedly that he's petty.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Tesla Sold Only One Car in Korea in January​

EV sales are hurt by inflation to concerns about car fires

Consumers await government announcement on subsidies

-1x-1.jpg

Tesla’s Model Y electric vehicle.

Photographer: Samsul Said/Bloomberg

In this Article
TESLA INC
188.13USD
–2.81%

By Heejin Kim

February 6, 2024 at 11:53 PM EST

Tesla Inc. sold just one electric vehicle in South Korea in January as a raft of headwinds, from safety concerns to price and a lack of charging infrastructure, weigh on demand.

The company’s sale of a solitary Model Y SUV was its worst month since July 2022, when the Austin, Texas-based automaker sold no vehicles at all, according to data from Seoul-based researcher Carisyou and the Korean trade ministry. Across all carmakers, the number of new EVs registered in Korea fell 80% in January from December, Carisyou data show.

BloombergHyperdriveFrance Cuts Electric Vehicle Bonus For Wealthiest HouseholdsFrance to Halt 2024 Subsidized EV Leases Over High Demand: AFPTesla’s Slide Has Investors Wondering If It’s Still MagnificentDisgraced Nikola Founder Backs ‘Diesel Brothers’ Star for Board

Carmakers are facing a slowdown in enthusiasm for EVs in South Korea as higher interest rates and inflation prompt consumers to rein in spending, while concerns about battery fires and a dearth of fast chargers are also damping demand. Tesla’s low-selling January marks a major shift for the brand as its China-made Model Y was one of the top sellers last year.

Many early adopters have already bought EVs and mass-market consumers aren’t looking to purchase yet, according to Lee Hang-Koo, head of the Jeonbuk Institute of Automotive Convergence Technology. Tesla’s popularity is also hurt by its links to China, he said.

“Most Koreans who wanted to buy Tesla’s cars have bought one,” Lee said. “Some people don’t like Tesla recently after finding some of them are made in China,” with consumers concerned about the quality of manufacturing, he said.

Korea’s EVs sales are also affected by strong seasonal swings in demand. Many people avoid buying vehicles in January because they want to wait for the government’s announcement of subsidies, according to Lee.

In a statement to Bloomberg News, a spokesperson for Tesla in Korea said consumers delayed EV purchases before the confirmation of subsidies.

Tesla faces headwinds there, too. In July 2023, the company set the selling price of the Chinese-made Model Y at 56,990,000 won ($43,000), bringing it under the threshold of 57 million won that allows cars to qualify for a full government subsidy.

In the plan for 2024, announced Tuesday, the level has been lowered to 55 million won, reducing the subsidy for Tesla’s Model Y by half.[/SIZE]

— With assistance from Emily Yamamoto[/SIZE]

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Journalist says he finds it ‘surreal’ to have account on X suspended after writing critique of platform​

The author’s account had over 100,000 followers and was around 14 years old, he said​

CIOHAX7UZJITDAE4KLVUKEPQEI.jpg

O’Reilly appealed the first notification he got to say his account was suspended immediately. Photograph: by Kirill Kudryavtsev/AFP via Getty Images

Ellen O’Donoghue

Mon Feb 12 2024 - 20:19

Journalist and author Séamas O’Reilly has said he finds it “very, very funny” that his account on X, formerly Twitter, was suspended just hours after he posted about an article he wrote for the Irish Examiner in which he said the platform was unusable due to bots.

The author’s account had over 100,000 followers and was around 14 years old, he said. Having gone through his posts from Saturday, which is when the account was suspended, he has come to the conclusion that the post that caused the suspension was to do with his article on bots.

“So, to me, it’s pretty blatant and obvious that [an] Irish-headquartered tech behemoth, operated by the world’s most famous man, has suspended an Irish journalist for making those points in an Irish newspaper,” O’Reilly said.

“I don’t actually think that the removal of my personal account is actually riveting and important global news in and of itself; I’m not that arrogant. But I do think it is a pretty hilarious bit of overreach from the guy who is a self-proclaimed free speech absolutist. So I do think it is quite noteworthy and quite surreal, to be honest.”

O’Reilly appealed the first notification he got to say his account was suspended immediately. The suspension cited platform manipulation and spam as its reasoning, which he wrote in his appeal that he had nothing to do with.

Specifically the charge was spam and platform manipulation so I mean, I don’t even really know what they could say that involves, but it really couldn’t involve anything that I was doing

The journalist heard nothing back from his appeal so he sent another one on Monday morning, to which he had received “nothing”.

O’Reilly has a Saturday column in the Irish Examiner, and formerly had a column with The Irish Times. He posted about his most recent column on Saturday, February 10th, “around midday, and then five hours later I was banned,” he said.

“Specifically the charge was spam and platform manipulation... I don’t even really know what they could say that involves, but it really couldn’t involve anything that I was doing.”

In the Examiner article, O’Reilly made reference to a “scam bot [that] had a blue check mark, meaning that, unlike me, it pays money every month to Elon Musk’s vastly indebted and unprofitable platform, a situation which would greatly disincentive his company taking proactive measures to weed them out”.

[ How Elon Musk changed Twitter’s Dublin operation: ‘He broke the culture in a week’ ]

O’Reilly said if he did not get his account back it would be “personally, quite annoying but professionally quite depressing” as Twitter was his route into his current profession as a journalist and author. He used it as a “shop front” in ways, he said.

“I was very, very reluctant to be a Twitter doomer because it had done so much for me... But it’s really at the point where it doesn’t really work in practical terms. It is not as useful as an object as it used to be. It incentivises lots of extremely negative and hateful speech and has really made that a big kind of calling card of its business for the last year or two... that you can go on there and say anything.”

The Irish Times contacted X about the suspension of O’Reilly’s account and received an automatic response which said: “Busy now, please check back later.”

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Russia using Elon Musk’s Starlink on Ukraine front line, says Kyiv​

Adoption of satellite internet service by Moscow’s troops ‘systemic’

A Starlink system to receive internet is positioned on the frontline in Donetsk, Ukraine

Ukraine’s GUR military intelligence unit made its claim following multiple reports in recent days that Russian forces are using Starlink’s distinctive square-shaped terminals © Pierre Crom/Getty Images

Ben Hall in London

YESTERDAY

116Print this page

Russian forces are using Starlink terminals on the front line in Ukraine, according to the Ukrainian military, which said the adoption of Elon Musk’s satellite internet service by Moscow’s troops was becoming “systemic”.

Ukraine’s GUR military intelligence unit said on Telegram on Sunday that radio intercepts confirmed the use of Starlink terminals by Russian units operating in the occupied Donetsk region of eastern Ukraine.

“Yes, there have been recorded cases of the Russian occupiers using these devices,” Andriy Yusov, a GUR officer, told RBC-Ukraine. “This is starting to take on a systemic nature.”

GUR made its claim following multiple reports in recent days that Russian forces are using Starlink devices, including a sighting reported by news outlet Defense One of the company’s distinctive square-shaped receivers close to Russian positions.

One Russian volunteer group flaunted on social media the devices it said it had purchased for Russian forces.

SpaceX, which owns Starlink, has denied reports it has sold equipment to the Russian government or military. In a post on X on Sunday Musk, the company’s chief executive, said: “A number of false news reports claim that SpaceX is selling Starlink terminals to Russia. This is categorically false. To the best of our knowledge, no Starlinks have been sold directly or indirectly to Russia.

Dmitry Peskov, spokesperson for President Vladimir Putin, told reporters on Monday that Starlink “is not certified [in Russia], therefore it cannot and is not officially supplied here. It cannot be used in any way,” according to Russian newswire Interfax.

“We should probably not wade into the discussion between the Kyiv regime and the businessman Musk,” Peskov said.

Musk provided thousands of Starlink terminals to Ukraine to help it fend off Russian troops soon after their full-scale invasion in February 2022, giving Kyiv’s forces a valuable technological advantage in the form of high-speed internet for communications, targeting and battlefield management software. However, Kyiv’s praise for the businessman turned to fury when Musk started to limit the operation of Starlink in areas of Ukraine that Russian forces have occupied since 2014, including Crimea.

That was because Ukraine wanted its forces to be able to use the system for operations in Russian-controlled areas of their territory, though Kyiv is now complaining because Russians, as well as Ukrainians, are using it in contested areas. But introducing or reintroducing so-called “geofencing” to stop Starlink use by Russia on the front line could also affect the Ukrainian military’s devices given the proximity of the two sides’ positions.

The apparent use of the technology by Russian forces to help their invasion is another example of Moscow’s forces adapting their tactics in response to Ukraine’s innovations as they have done with the mass use of cheap, commercially available racing drones.

Ukrainian media reported that Russian forces may have obtained the terminals via intermediaries in Dubai.

In response, SpaceX said on X: “Starlink also does not operate in Dubai. Starlink cannot be purchased in Dubai nor does SpaceX ship there.”

“Additionally, Starlink has not authorised any third-party intermediaries, resellers or distributors of any kind to sell Starlink in Dubai. If SpaceX obtains knowledge that a Starlink terminal is being used by a sanctioned or unauthorised party, we investigate the claim and take actions to deactivate the terminal if confirmed.”

A biography of Musk by Walter Isaacson published last autumn detailed how the tyc00n refused to allow Starlink to be used by Ukrainian forces for a naval drone strike on Russian ships in Sevastopol. Musk said he feared this could trigger a nuclear response from Moscow.