Gawker goes in on Jay-z again. they got a hard on for this dude.

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC
fukk that article. Anybody can say or portray to be whatever they want, whenever they want, wherever they want.

We already know that, besides, that includes people criticizing other people, like I and several others have done in this thread. That doesn't really say anything either way.

So what if it' not genuine, shyt doesn't disrespect so called real heroes. Most of them nikkas had some fake shyt going themselves anyway and wasn't portraying the image they were projecting.

Right, so because Malcolm X and Huey Newton had their flaws, I should look at them the same way as Jay-Z? :comeon:

nikkas ain't supposed to be taking cues from or taking these rappers serious in the first place. If you let a rich nikka trick you into thinking he a revolutionary, than thats your fault, as for kids, fukk em, they'll realize whats good when they get older

Yeah, I don't take rappers seriously, either, but what does that have to do with anything? You sound annoyed, but without a real target.

BAMBINO

100% pure uncut fukkery
Daps
Reppin
CHI-Town
Article is on point.

Both them nikkas are elitist sellout illuminist clowns.

Double Burger With Cheese

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
We already know that, besides, that includes people criticizing other people, like I and several others have done in this thread. That doesn't really say anything either way.

Right, so because Malcolm X and Huey Newton had their flaws, I should look at them the same way as Jay-Z? :comeon:

Yeah, I don't take rappers seriously, either, but what does that have to do with anything? You sound annoyed, but without a real target.

No nikka, you are annoyed, Im cool. Im the one who thinks Jay, and any other rapper for that matter, should be able to say whatever they want without being shyt on by some hipster journalist whatever for being socially out of touch and faux revolutionaries. You're the one who has their panties in a bunch about Jay calling him self Che Gueverra (a fukking racist):heh:

OG Talk

Archived
Daps
Reppin
Heaven on Earth
Pretty good piece.. The Fred Hampton part about Black Capitalism (no such thing) was something that I have believed for awhile now...

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
No nikka, you are annoyed, Im cool. Im the one who thinks Jay, and any other rapper for that matter, should be able to say whatever they want without being shyt on by some hipster journalist whatever for being socially out of touch and faux revolutionaries. You're the one who has their panties in a bunch about Jay calling him self Che Gueverra (a fukking racist):heh:
Jigga and Kanye both would spit in your face if it meant this same hipster journalist would give their album props. You don't have a point.

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC

Ok, so then let's be specific. You want rappers to exempt from any and all social criticism. Why do you think people shouldn't be allowed to share negative opinions on a rapper's work? Why should rappers get a pass?

And Che Guevara is a placeholder in that context- it could have been any revolutionary figure. I'm not defending Che in particular- that's beside the point.

Double Burger With Cheese

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Ok, so then let's be specific. You want rappers to exempt from any and all social criticism. Why do you think people shouldn't be allowed to share negative opinions on a rapper's work?

And Che Guevara is a placeholder in that context- it could have been any revolutionary figure. I'm not defending Che in particular- that's beside the point.

Yes. Let the rappers rap and let politicians politic. A rapper will say anything, you can't be taking none of that shyt serious. And of course people can share negative opinions all they want, but nikkas always gotta o.d. and take that shyt too far. Why would you even take Jay-Z raps serious enough to feel a certain way about him faking social consciousness. This nikka be drinking Ace of Spades putting all that silly shyt together getting everybody all up in arms :snoop:

Bolzmark

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
The article is right about one thing- wealthy rap artists love co-opting revolutionary aesthetics, whether imagery, slogans, etc, and pretending to be real underdogs while not doing shyt for or with people who actually want change in this society so that Black folks can finally prosper. Jay-Z is no exception to that unfortunate rule, whatever you might think about his music or talent in general. It's insulting to the real heroes of Black history when people like this use that history and struggle for shock value, artistic credibility, etc.

"I'm Che Guevara with bling on, I'm complex" is one of the dumbest, most laughable lines in Jay's entire catalogue, and perfectly sums up this situation.[/QUOTE]

Is it laughable? Or true words? Guevara with diamonds, an obvious contradiction in itself, is a complex image, no? I mean if the picture painted were ALL revolutionary, or ALL flossy, then its a simple image, right?

502Nels

Pro
Daps
Reppin
TheVille
Articles on point. I always hate when rappers compare themselves to revolutionaries. shyt rarely ever makes sense. Don't see why they feel they need to do this.

KillSpray

Don't be mad
Daps
Reppin
The top of the City
Article is def on-point. But I see what some of yall are saying about the article being kind of blah, because its applying rational adult thought to hip-hop music, which is basically pure entertainment/escapism/fantasy. I think anybody with a head on their shoulders knows that at this point mainstream hip-hop is basically indefensible as something that has any real intellectual value. :smugdraper:

userofherb

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
the attention span of hip hop heads is so short to the point dudes cant even read a complete article. this is truely sad cuz the article stated some good points. but this is the problem with this culture as a whole. any questioning of ur idols is considered hating grow the fukk up. white folk stay winning

Daps
Man who gives a fukk. You cant hate a man and talk about him so much unless your harboring love you have a hard time embracing. nikkas need to stop digging their own graves with all the Jay Z love/hate. You guys and most people in general care about rappers WAYYY too much. Its liek because they entertain you you grow some kind of weird attachment to them. All they do is entertain. Why is it so important what Jay Z raps about when youre still fukking listening to it and discussing it? If you dont want to see Jay Z around anymore stop talking about him, its that serious. nikkas coming off real moist on this whole Jay Z shyt.