Gatorade going sugarless for the first time in its 53-year-history

Yaboysix

That nikka
Daps
Reppin
Tampa Florida
Wait Gatorade has salt or sodium?

:dwillhuh:
Hell yeah! I didnt know till i started working in the medical field and used to chug the hell out them free shyts! The nurse saw me and told me to chill cuz its full of salt! :whoa:

Only time i drink it now is when the babies are sick and im pouring it in thier cups. . I sneak and take a chug . Like a dope feind
:mjcry:

RajWatts

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Electrolytes = the salts your body needs (sodium, chloride, potassium) that are lost through sweat. Lose too much sodium and cramps/nausea occur.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/273703-how-much-sodium-is-in-gatorade/

Loss of Sodium
When you sweat during exercise, you lose 900 to 1400 mg of sodium per liter of sweat. This can be problematic, as sodium helps maintain adequate blood pressure and volume. Although health experts often talk about the dangers of high sodium intake, low sodium levels, also known as hyponatremia, can be just as dangerous. Gatorade contains about 450 mg of sodium per liter, or about 110 mg per cup. Drinking one liter of Gatorade will replace the sodium lost in approximately half of a liter of sweat.

Rapid Rehydration
Drinking sodium and other salt-containing fluids triggers your body to increase its water intake, similar to eating a salty meal and feeling very thirsty afterward. To rapidly replenish fluids lost during exercise, due to sweating, the sodium and other salts in Gatorade, promote rapid rehydration by making your body feel very thirsty, encouraging continued fluid consumption. According to Gatorade, unlike water, caffeinated or diet beverages, the sodium in Gatorade helps maintain body fluids without promoting water loss through increased urination.

Types of Sodium in Gatorade
Gatorade contains two types of sodium: sodium citrate and sodium chloride. Sodium citrate regulates tartness but represents only a small fraction, about 1 percent, of the overall volume. Most of the sodium in Gatorade comes from sodium chloride, or table salt. Sodium chloride provides both sodium and chloride, two of the three major electrolytes that Gatorade targets for replacement; potassium is the third.

Preservative
While sodium chloride in Gatorade provides essential fluid and electrolyte replenishment, it also acts as a preservative. Most bacteria live in environments where the concentration of water outside the cell is greater than the concentration of water inside the cell. When the outside environment around a bacterial cell is salty, water inside the cell will tend to move outside through the process of osmosis. This causes the bacterial cells to dehydrate and die. Therefore, high levels of sodium help prevent the growth of microorganisms in Gatorade.

Comparison of Sodium in Beverages
Gatorade contains twice the amount of sodium as other sports drinks, such as Powerade and Allsport Sports Drinks which each contain 55 mg of sodium per cup. Regular and diet sodas typically contain about 50 to 60 mg of sodium per cup. Coffee contains about 5 mg of sodium per cup and water contains about 2 mg of sodium per cup depending on the source of that water. The amount of sodium in milk varies depending upon the type of milk; non-fat or skim milk contains about 130 mg per cup, while buttermilk contains about 260 mg of sodium per cup. Tomato and other vegetable juices can contain upwards of 650 mg to 675 mg of sodium per cup.

Balla

Superstar
Daps
So is Gatorade better for workouts than drinking water because of the electrolytes?

Electrolytes = the salts your body needs (sodium, chloride, potassium) that are lost through sweat. Lose too much sodium and cramps/nausea occur.

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
So is Gatorade better for workouts than drinking water because of the electrolytes?
Yea drinking gatorade is better for workouts and after sweating. Don't drink gatorade just to drink it. Drink water for everything else. You can never go wrong with water
tenor.gif

Kinguno

The Immortal
Daps
Reppin
New York
I started buying the powder because it's cheaper to make a gallon vs buying a 32 ounce bottle every day

But the powder only tastes like the bottle if you have very cold water with the compounds in the powder that's activated by the sugar so I have no idea how this works

At Sam's Club they had a a rep for the Kobe Body Amor drink and that shyt is horrible It has a oily consistency

Lemon-Lime gatorade is one of my vices