Gaming Now Recognized As Mental Health Disease!

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
You could say this about anything really..

What about the people that are on their phones and computers all the time?

We are living in a time were technology and humans are in the beginning stages to form a single entity.
Honestly I feel way better cutting facebook out my life compared to the times I've had to drop gaming for whatever reason.

Facebook was physically making me ill after a while... and its crazy too. You can't even pull it away from people. I stop gaming just like I stopped basketball for a while. Its just something you go to for a stress reliever and something you give up when you move, get hurt, look for new things, etc. Social media though? You take someone's facebook away and its like you're asking them to stand facing the corner.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Do You Have Video "Gaming Disorder," A Newly Recognized Mental Health Condition?

Who believes that playing video games can become a mental health disorder? Yes, the World Health Organization, that's WHO will in 2018.

"Gaming disorder" isn't a game or the name of a game. And it isn't when your "Yes" or "Start" button on your PlayStation controller fails to work, your character is really messy and leaves equipment all over the screen, or you are surrounded by microwaved burritos while playing. Instead, the beta draft of the WHO's forthcoming 11th update of International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11) now includes "gaming disorder" along with the following description:

Gaming disorder is characterized by a pattern of persistent or recurrent gaming behaviour (‘digital gaming’ or ‘video-gaming’), which may be online (i.e., over the internet) or offline, manifested by: 1) impaired control over gaming (e.g., onset, frequency, intensity, duration, termination, context); 2) increasing priority given to gaming to the extent that gaming takes precedence over other life interests and daily activities; and 3) continuation or escalation of gaming despite the occurrence of negative consequences. The behaviour pattern is of sufficient severity to result in significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational, occupational or other important areas of functioning. The pattern of gaming behaviour may be continuous or episodic and recurrent. The gaming behaviour and other features are normally evident over a period of at least 12 months in order for a diagnosis to be assigned, although the required duration may be shortened if all diagnostic requirements are met and symptoms are severe.

Being in the ICD-11 will mean that it will officially become a health condition, a diagnosis that can be used by doctors, other health care workers, and insurance companies. Some may even call it a label.

Before you get too Madden about this, keep in mind that this is not saying that playing video games is a mental disorder. Plenty of well-adjusted individuals play video games. Depending on the game and when, how often, how long, why, and where you play it, video games can be a safe way of improving hand-eye coordination, enhancing problem solving abilities, relieving stress, connecting people, and living out fantasies as covered here by Daphne Bavelier, a Professor at the University of Geneva:

Do You Have Video "Gaming Disorder," A Newly Recognized Mental Health Condition?

be careful out there brehs......:francis:
This is bullshyt, all they need is @Kamikaze Revy time management solution :mjpls:

llt23

All Star
Daps
can I leach off the government off this?

Remember the Simpsons episode where Homer got super fat to get on disability?:jbhmm:

Maybe we can do it with games now :ohhh:

Time to idle in a game on Steam, rack up thousands of hours and get my money :blessed:

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Trash thread title

And is an addiction not a mental health disorder?

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Trash thread title

And is an addiction not a mental health disorder?
Bruh, people die from gaming too much, that's one end of the spectrum. I'm sure there are levels to this shyt.

But, I see the pitfalls of gaming and even made an argument it's the devil. We operate like if life is timeless but the reality is you'll be dead or 80yrs old before you know it. We are wasting our time on this planet, via games or whatever else you do to pass the time.

How many posters buy games and don't have time to enjoy them, then will go buy another. If you can't stop doing that? You are dealing with a disorder :francis: it will get better or worse depending on your awareness. I know a guy who for the last 20yrs has done nothing but sit in front of a tv and plays games (Tru Story) he's going blind now in both eyes, sits about 12in's away from a 55in tv. No chill...