Game of the year winners 1980-2020

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
So this was like a retrospective by The Game Awards? They've only been around for 5 years or so right?

As a guy with a big Nintendo bias, damn, they have a big Nintendo bias.

Overall, mostly good picks. Couple Fugazi ones. I didn't appreciate just how bad gaming sucked in 2012; I was knee deep in college and dropped the hobby entirely.
Yea there was mos def a Nintendo bias:patrice:

I loved Goldeneye a lot but FFVII should have won Game of the year in 97:mjtf:

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition
Yea there was mos def a Nintendo bias:patrice:

I loved Goldeneye a lot but FFVII should have won Game of the year in 97:mjtf:
Yeah, that was a weird pick. Symphony of the Night and Diablo were also both better picks for GOTY over Goldeneye, but I've also found the game extremely overrated. Even as a kid.

Last edited:

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
Yeah, that was a weird pick. Symphony and the Diablo were also both better picks for GOTY over Goldeneye, but I've also found the game extremely overrated. Even as a kid.
Well Goldeneye was a major leap in FPS multiplayer games so I loved it at the time but yea Halo came along 4 years later and took it to another level

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
So this was like a retrospective by The Game Awards? They've only been around for 5 years or so right?

As a guy with a big Nintendo bias, damn, they have a big Nintendo bias.

Overall, mostly good picks. Couple Fugazi ones. I didn't appreciate just how bad gaming sucked in 2012; I was knee deep in college and dropped the hobby entirely.

Mid gen ps3/360 till about mid gen ps4 are the dark ages for me with gaming. There were a lot of games i missed out on because i just completely lost interest in gaming. Way too many shooters during that era.

Thats kind of why i stan sony right now, they primarily got me back into gaming with the single player focused games which is what i always preferred.

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
TMNT the arcade game was the popular game in the world back then, are you serious Ninja Turtles was like the biggest shyt on Earth at the time
Cool but the game awards have only been around since 2014, so they retroactively named it game of the year.

• Dap
Reactions: NZA

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
FF7 in '98 and GTA3 in '01 were robbed.

Edit: meant '97 for FF7.

Last edited:

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
i wouldnt say there are robberies. the competition was better in the late 90s and only one can win, so some great games have to be losers.

breakfuss

#SHAMBLES
Supporter
Daps
I know what is, I was just stating how popular ninja turtles was, everything with Ninja Turtels on it was huge, and that water level was not that hard, and damn near at the beginning of the game, ninja gaiden was a way harder game it's not even close
Goddamn lies. :stopitslime:. I might load it up on my SNES classic to try again but shiiiet even when I made it past the water stage I had depleted so many lives it was a wrap shortly thereafter. Assuming your favorite contemporary game is some variant of Dark Souls then? You nikkas is the worst. And 1989 belongs to Tetris.

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
people saying that ff7 should of won. i disagree. golden eye was huge back in the day. you link up 4 controllers and play with friends, it was a game changer. you play at parties n shyt.

ff7 was the way way better game tho. but i see how golden eye won