Daps

Letitia James' Office Throws New Wrinkle in Trump's Plan​

Published Mar 20, 2024 at 4:31 PM EDTUpdated Mar 20, 2024 at 7:16 PM EDT

01:01
Full List of Donald Trump Properties That He Could Lose From Fraud Suit
By Jon Jackson
Associate Editor
FOLLOW

New York Attorney General Letitia James' office on Wednesday requested a state appeals court require former President Donald Trump to post a bond that fully covers a $454 million civil fraud judgment against him.

In court documents released on Monday, Trump's legal team argued that securing a bond in the full amount would be "a practical impossibility" for the former president. His attorneys have previously asked if Trump could pay a portion of the amount, $100 million, while he appeals the ruling.

Dennis Fan, senior assistant solicitor general in James' office, said in a Wednesday court filing that Trump's team hasn't adequately proven he can't secure the bond.

Donald Trump and Letitia James

Former President Donald Trump, left, holds a campaign rally in Rome, Georgia, on March 9, while New York Attorney General Letitia James, right, is shown in New York City on February 16. James’ office on... MorePHOTO BY CHIP SOMODEVILLAS/TMOTHY A. CLARY/AFP/GETTY IMAGES
"Defendants' new factual allegations and legal arguments fail to support their extraordinary request for a stay based on a bond or deposit of less than one-fourth of the money-judgment amount," Fan wrote.

He continued: "Defendants' argument that obtaining a full bond is purportedly impossible is based on the false premise that they must obtain a single bond from a single surety for the entire judgment amount of $454 million."

James brought a civil fraud lawsuit against Trump in 2022, accusing him—as well as his adult sons, Donald Jr. and Eric, and other officials with The Trump Organization—of a years-long scheme in which he inflated his net worth and the value of his assets to obtain more favorable business loans.

The justice presiding over the case, New York State Supreme Court Justice Arthur Engoron, found Trump liable for fraud in the fall. In February, Trump was ordered to pay a penalty of $355 million, which, with interest, came to a total of over $454 million.

The former president has maintained his innocence in the case. After Engoron announced the penalty, Trump railed against the justice in a Truth Social post, calling Engoron "crooked" and James "corrupt."

Trump has until Monday to post the bond. If he doesn't meet the deadline, James can seize his assets, including Trump Tower.

Interest in the amount of $112,000 is also accumulating on the penalty for each day he doesn't pay. He currently owes approximately $457 million.

Trump's lawyers have said he would have to post collateral that covers 120 percent of the judgment, which would amount to more than $557 million.

The lawyers told the appeals court that "very few bonding companies will consider a bond of anything approaching that magnitude."

Fan's filing argued that Trump could attempt to secure a bond from multiple sureties instead of just one. He also contended that Trump may not be revealing the true worth of his holdings.

"As far as the Court can infer, sureties may have refused to accept defendants' specific holdings as collateral because using Mr. Trump's real estate will generally need 'a property appraisal' and his holdings are not nearly as valuable as defendants claim," Fan wrote.

ADevilYouKhow

Rhyme Reason
Daps
Reppin
got a call for three nines

ADevilYouKhow

Rhyme Reason
Daps
Reppin
got a call for three nines

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Salon

Eric Trump says he was laughed at while attempting to secure his dad's $454 million bond​

Kelly McClure

Sun, March 24, 2024 at 1:00 PM EDT·2 min read

TIMOTHY A. CLARY/AFP via Getty Images

TIMOTHY A. CLARY/AFP via Getty Images

On Monday, Donald Trump will be called upon to make good on the $454 million judgment in his New York fraud case or post bond in order to appeal the ruling. And if this doesn't happen, AG Letitia James is prepared to seize his assets in an effort to ensure that gets paid one way or another.

In an interview with Fox News host Maria Bartiromo on Sunday, Eric Trump re-circulated the story initiated by Trump's team that they've been turned down by every lender they've reached out to regarding the bond, saying that they basically laughed in his face.

"This is 'lawfare,'” the younger Trump said. "They want to hurt my father, who’s winning the presidential race right now. He’s beating Biden in every single poll in every single swing state. He came out and said he wants to put hundreds of millions of dollars of his own money into his campaign. And, how do they deprive him of that? They have (Judge Arthur Engoron) come up with an astronomical number, give you zero time to post a bond, a bond that’s not even commercially available in the United States. It’s not — no one’s ever seen a bond this size. Every single person when I came to them saying, 'Hey, can I get a half-billion-dollar bond?' Maria, they were laughing. They were laughing. Top executives of the largest surety companies had never seen anything of this size. What, they’re going to start seizing assets if he can’t put up something that’s not available in the United States?"

Watch here:

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Trump Goes After Judge Juan Merchan’s Daughter AGAIN—This Time by Name​

LETTING IT FLY

He claims Judge Juan Merchan’s daughter’s job, where she’s worked with Democratic candidates, is reason enough for him to be dropped from his case.

Josh Fiallo

Breaking News Reporter

Updated Mar. 29, 2024 5:27AM EDT / Published Mar. 28, 2024 10:12PM EDT

Donald Trump, wearing a suit and red tie, speaks in front of police officers.

Shannon Stapleton/Reuters​

Donald Trump once again went scorched earth against the daughter of the judge overseeing his New York hush-money trial on Thursday, posting a fiery rant to Truth Social that called her out by name.

That woman, Loren Merchan, has become the focal point of Trump’s attacks against her dad, Judge Juan Merchan, in his longshot attempt to have him ousted as the judge presiding over his criminal case in New York.

Trump has decried Loren’s position as president of a political consulting firm that’s worked with Democrats, as well as anti-Trump social media posts he wrongly attributed to her, saying they should disqualify Judge Merchan from his case because it somehow shows he’s biased.

“Judge Juan Merchan is totally compromised, and should be removed from this TRUMP Non-Case immediately,” he posted Thursday afternoon. “His Daughter, Loren, is a Rabid Trump Hater, who has admitted to having conversations with her father about me, and yet he gagged me.”

Judge Merchan issued a gag order against Trump on Tuesday that’s barred him from lashing out publicly at prosecutors, court staff, and any of their family members. That order did not include Merchan or his daughter, however, and Trump has used the duo as an outlet to direct his rage over the case.

Trump has been particularly fixated on the political work of Merchan’s daughter, suggesting her supposed political leanings are enough to influence how her dad treats him in a criminal trial.

“She works for Crooked Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, Adam “Shifty” Schiff, and other Radical Leftists who Campaign on ‘Getting Trump,’” he said, adding that her work has created a “TOTAL Conflict.”

In his latest rant, Trump made no mention of social media posts he previously claimed were made by Merchan, however.

That’s likely because a representative for the New York state court system pointed out that the account Trump attributed to her in his initial rant against on Wednesday didn’t actually belong to her.

Instead, Al Baker, a a spokesperson for the New York Office of Court Administration, told The Daily Beast that the posts Trump cited as hers, which included a photo that showed him behind bars, came from a total stranger.

“The X, formerly Twitter, account being attributed to Judge Merchan’s daughter no longer belongs to her since she deleted it approximately a year ago,” he said. “It is not linked to her email address, nor has she posted under that screenname since she deleted the account.

“Rather, it represents the reconstitution, last April, and manipulation of an account she long ago abandoned.”

Still, Trump has yet to delete the posts in question. In that rambling rant from Wednesday, he accused the Merchan family of being out to get him as he whined about being put under a gag order.

“So, let me get this straight, the Judge’s daughter is allowed to post pictures of her ‘dream’ of putting me in jail, the Manhattan D.A. is able to say whatever lies about me he wants, the Judge can violate our Laws and Constitution at every turn, but I am not allowed to talk about the attacks against me, and the Lunatics trying to destroy my life, and prevent me from winning the 2024 Presidential Election, which I am dominating?” he said. “Maybe the Judge is such a hater because his daughter makes money by working to ‘Get Trump,’ and when he rules against me over and over again, he is making her company, and her, richer and richer. How can this be allowed?”

Trump is facing a total of four criminal trials, including the hush-money trial being presided over by Merchan in New York. In that case, Trump faces a 34-count indictment charging him with falsifying business records over a $130,000 hush-money payment he’s accused of directing his ex-fixer Michael Cohen to make to adult film star Stormy Daniels shortly before his 2016 election triumph.

Trump has pleaded not guilty in that case, and continues to claim he never had sex with Daniels.

Merchan said previously that he was “bending over backwards and straining” to make sure that Trump had the freedom to speak his mind about his trial as he makes another White House run. This week, however, Merchan said he was forced to change course because Trump can’t help but attack those involved in the case—prompting the new gag order that’s set Trump off against his daughter.