Full Body Workout Plan?

SheWantTheD

Veteran
Daps
Okay and..? Did I say you won't gain any size? You are leaving a lot of size on the table by not getting a pump and training for hypertrophy.

There's a reason power lifters don't look like Bodybuilders.

That site is geared towards increasing strength and numbers in your lifts, not primary muscle building and fat loss.

You are being disingenuous posting that here.

Last edited:

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
No you can’t lmao and even if you manage to put on some size you are leaving a lot on the table only doing 5 reps.

:duck:

You can get big doing 5x5, assuming you eat enough to actually grow. 5 reps is actually the intersection of hypertrophy and strength training.

Will 5x5 have you looking ready to compete for Mr. Olympia? No, but no program is gonna do that off rip, and SL 5x5 is most appropriate (read: works better) for newb lifters.

SheWantTheD

Veteran
Daps
:duck:

You can get big doing 5x5, assuming you eat enough to actually grow. 5 reps is actually the intersection of hypertrophy and strength training.

Will 5x5 have you looking ready to compete for Mr. Olympia? No, but no program is gonna do that off rip, and SL 5x5 is most appropriate (read: works better) for newb lifters.
Stop it fool.

You aren't pumping enough blood, lactic acid etc in the muscle doing 5 reps LMAO.

And that's such a basic workout. 5x5.. okay...? Your body will adapt to that quickly and easy.

Introducing different intensity techniques like supersets, dropsets, intra-sets, etc will definitely help to build more muscle.

5x5 bullshyt cookie cutter workout :mjlol:

I would not tell a beginner to do 5 reps max of every lift. They should be going light, focus on form, muscle to mind connection.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Stop it fool.

You aren't pumping enough blood, lactic acid etc in the muscle doing 5 reps LMAO.

And that's such a basic workout. 5x5.. okay...? Your body will adapt to that quickly and easy.

Introducing different intensity techniques like supersets, dropsets, intra-sets, etc will definitely help to build more muscle.

I would not tell a beginner to do 5 reps max of every lift. They should be going light, focus on form, muscle to mind connection.
A beginner is going to make gains on pretty much any program. 5x5 is a great way to build a foundation on your main lifts, gain strength and muscle, so that when you start adding iso work or switch to a hypertrophic program you have the strength to lift heavier for your reps.

@All-Black the Necroverse aint acting like a 5x5 is where you start and stay forever, but a new lifter would make a lot of progress over 8-12 weeks when they could then switch to a new program

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
A beginner is going to make gains on pretty much any program. 5x5 is a great way to build a foundation on your main lifts, gain strength and muscle, so that when you start adding iso work or switch to a hypertrophic program you have the strength to lift heavier for your reps.

@All-Black the Necroverse aint acting like a 5x5 is where you start and stay forever, but a new lifter would make a lot of progress over 8-12 weeks when they could then switch to a new program
^^^

Son Goku

Daps
Stop it fool.

1) First off, fukk you, fukk your mammy, and fukk the last plane you flew in on. :pacspit:

2) Second, "the pump" has absolutely no effect on net muscle growth; you can lift, not get a pump, and still grow. DOMS is not an indication of an effective workout either, since you prolly thought that was true.

3) Your body actually won't adapt to the workout if you add the weight to the bar as prescribed. Your body will get used to working in the 5 rep range, and you'll get comfortable doing just those same 5 lifts (unless you add in accessory work), but your body will recognize the weight you're lifting each session is novel. Look more into linear progression since you obviously missed that day in class. :beli:

4) The more advanced intensity techniques you mentioned (supersets, dropsets) won't mean much if you're too weak to actually be able to benefit from them. Someone who can't even squat their bodyweight has no business worrying about cluster- or drop-sets.

5) Unlike most of the lurkers and randoms in The Gym, I actually lift (and a bit more than you do). This ain't the hill you wanna die on. :usure:

Just because a workout is "cookie-cutter" doesn't mean it doesn't work for the intended audience. SL 5x5 is so popular because it does work, for both gaining strength and building muscle. fukk all the way outta here.

I’d say start out doing a bro split ie one muscle group a day. Chest, back, arms, shoulders, legs.

You don’t wanna do full body right off the bat and your whole body is too sore to go to the gym the next day.

Yeah, just about the opposite of what gym newbs should be doing. You went full potato and then a few fries after. :picard:

Son Goku

Daps

I for one did SL 5x5 for the first 7-8 months I was in the gym and came out of it squatting 4 plates, squatting over 3 plates (high-bar), pulling almost 500, and benching over 250.

I honestly could have eked more out of either it or Madcow/Texas Method and then Advanced SL 5x5 but I wanted to mix it up. :yeshrug:

SheWantTheD

Veteran
Daps
1) First off, fukk you, fukk your mammy, and fukk the last plane you flew in on. :pacspit:

2) Second, "the pump" has absolutely no effect on net muscle growth; you can lift, not get a pump, and still grow. DOMS is not an indication of an effective workout either, since you prolly thought that was true.

3) Your body actually won't adapt to the workout if you add the weight to the bar as prescribed. Your body will get used to working in the 5 rep range, and you'll get comfortable doing just those same 5 lifts (unless you add in accessory work), but your body will recognize the weight you're lifting each session is novel. Look more into linear progression since you obviously missed that day in class. :beli:

4) The more advanced intensity techniques you mentioned (supersets, dropsets) won't mean much if you're too weak to actually be able to benefit from them. Someone who can't even squat their bodyweight has no business worrying about cluster- or drop-sets.

5) Unlike most of the lurkers and randoms in The Gym, I actually lift (and a bit more than you do). This ain't the hill you wanna die on. :usure:

Just because a workout is "cookie-cutter" doesn't mean it doesn't work for the intended audience. SL 5x5 is so popular because it does work, for both gaining strength and building muscle. fukk all the way outta here.

Yeah, just about the opposite of what gym newbs should be doing. You went full potato and then a few fries after. :picard:
You clearly don't know what you are talking about.

Doing 5 reps of your max is NOT a hypertrophy workout. That's a STRENGTH based workout.

DOMS is not chasing a pump herp a derp. It's muscle soreness that occurs a day or two after working out, where did I mention this at all? I thought you knew what you are talking about?

And yes, you can increase the weight over time ie progressive overload but it's still a STRENGTH BASED workout and not a HYPERTROPHY BASED workout.

And what's wrong with a bro split for a beginner? Doing a push pull legs split is for more advanced lifters because their bodies can train the same muscle group multiple times a week and be fine. A beginner will be sore for like 5 days if they train hard enough, so anything more than a bro split is retarded.

All the studies say hypertrophy training builds more muscle mass than strength training, you dumb fukk ass nikka.

:camby:

SheWantTheD

Veteran
Daps
You nikkas tryna debate me on hypertrophy vs strength training for building muscle don't know what y'all are talking about.

The 5x5 guy says to lower the weight to focus on form. If that's the goddamn case and you are doing only 5 reps but still have more reps in the tank, you are leaving a lot of results on the table not going hard, going to failure or near failure.

I would NOT recommend a beginner to do weight that they can only lift for 5 reps. How will they even know if they are a beginner? Form will suffer, they will over compensate by using other body parts to perform the movement etc.

Son Goku

Daps
You clearly don't know what you are talking about.

Doing 5 reps of your max is NOT a hypertrophy workout. That's a STRENGTH based workout.

DOMS is not chasing a pump herp a derp. It's muscle soreness that occurs a day or two after working out, where did I mention this at all? I thought you knew what you are talking about?

And yes, you can increase the weight over time ie progressive overload but it's still a STRENGTH BASED workout and not a HYPERTROPHY BASED workout.

And what's wrong with a bro split for a beginner? Doing a push pull legs split is for more advanced lifters because their bodies can train the same muscle group multiple times a week and be fine. A beginner will be sore for like 5 days if they train hard enough, so anything more than a bro split is retarded.

All the studies say hypertrophy training builds more muscle mass than strength training, you dumb fukk ass nikka.

:camby:

Lack reading comprehension, behs. :francis:

Edit: Tell @Another Man to "suck one", brehs. :dame:

Last edited:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Being new to the gym and being a new lifter (0-12 mos of lifting) aren’t the same. You don’t need a stupid bro split. After week 2 your body adjusts and you ain’t gonna be too sore to work muscles more than once a week, shyt, my second workout when sore is how I get rid of DOMS. Anyway, I’m not jumping into this convo further. It’s basically universal fact any lift program is gonna get a new lifter gains in both size and strength, that’s the beauty of being new.