Fruitvale Station is gonna be the next classic Black movie

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Movie is gonna get largely ignored.

I've heard great things about it but it's gonna be forgotten pretty quickly.

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Logic Is Absent Wherever Hate Is Present
Daps
Movie is gonna get largely ignored.

I've heard great things about it but it's gonna be forgotten pretty quickly.
It will be a travesty if Tyler Perry's last movie did better numbers than this will do. We always complain about them not putting out quality African American movies yet when some non buffoonish shyt drop nikkas don't support it.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It will be a travesty if Tyler Perry's last movie did better numbers than this will do. We always complain about them not putting out quality African American movies yet when some non buffoonish shyt drop nikkas don't support it.

Well you have to know that something exists before you support it.

Tyler Perry has a built in fan base because of his plays. Also Perry's movies are promoted pretty heavily.

The better made black films typically get little promotion unless it has a notable white actor in it. Even if it gets that promotion they ONLY promote it to black people.

Like I said I've seen this movie getting tons of buzz but only at film festivals and on the internet. It looks like something that should be released when the other "awards show bait" films get released, but they're releasing this movie on July 16, that's two days after Man of Steel comes out...They've effectively buried any chance the movie had.

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Daps
Well you have to know that something exists before you support it.

Tyler Perry has a built in fan base because of his plays. Also Perry's movies are promoted pretty heavily.

The better made black films typically get little promotion unless it has a notable white actor in it. Even if it gets that promotion they ONLY promote it to black people.

Like I said I've seen this movie getting tons of buzz but only at film festivals and on the internet. It looks like something that should be released when the other "awards show bait" films get released, but they're releasing this movie on July 16, that's two days after Man of Steel comes out...They've effectively buried any chance the movie had.

:noah: should've known the marketing and release date would be skewed when I seen "The Weinstein Company" at the beginning of the trailer.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:noah: should've known the marketing and release date would be skewed when I seen "The Weinstein Company" at the beginning of the trailer.

It's fukked up, because the movie has been heavily praised and it's a film that could have taken Michael B Jordan aka Wallace aka Vince Howard to that next level.

It really makes no fukking sense for them to release the film in the middle of the summer blockbuster season. shyt shouldn't be released till November or December.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
idk, I feel kinda weird about this. what 'story' are they trying to tell?

RIP Oscar Grant

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL

RIP Oscar Grant

It's about the last day of his life....Keep in mind we already know how it ends, so the point of the film is showing how it got to that point.

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Daps
RIP Oscar Grant
How easy a Black life can be taken. I also like the fact that they humanize him as far as showing the everyday life of a Black man. Plenty of ppl who had their own misconceptions about him when they heard how he was killed will get the chance to see who he was as a person. They may have thought he was a gang banger or some common crook that deserved to be taken out before he did harm to somebody else. If you see his everyday life and see he was a overall good guy with family values and good character then you will think differently when you hear about a Black life being taken by law enforcement without justifiable cause. Or at least that's what I'm hoping/assuming the story is that they're trying to tell. Maybe in a few years we'll see the Trayvon Martin story.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
It's about the last day of his life....Keep in mind we already know how it ends, so the point of the film is showing how it got to that point.

yeah, but what do we get from it? what he did on his last day, or what kind of person he was, has little to do with why some wack bart cop shot him in the back. other than putting him in 'the wrong place at the wrong time'

but what's the 'lesson'? don't be in the wrong place at the wrong time? life is cruel/unfair? fukk the police?

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yeah, but what do we get from it? what he did on his last day, or what kind of person he was, has little to do with why some wack bart cop shot him. other than putting him in 'the wrong place at the wrong time'

but what's the 'lesson'? don't be in the wrong place at the wrong time? life is cruel/unfair? fukk the police?

There doesn't have to be "Lesson" for it to be a film. It's just a typical day in the life joint but with a tragic ending. They make these sort of films all the time.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
There doesn't have to be "Lesson" for it to be a film. It's just a typical day in the life joint but with a tragic ending. They make these sort of films all the time.

making money off this, and there not being a 'lesson', seems pretty wack

there's obviously important issues, like the use of deadly force, that can be discussed within the context of this tragedy

to be fair, I haven't seen it. it just seems weird turning a recent tragedy into a 'drama' or whatever

G.O.A.T Squad Spokesman

Daps
yeah, but what do we get from it? what he did on his last day, or what kind of person he was, has little to do with why some wack bart cop shot him in the back. other than putting him in 'the wrong place at the wrong time'

That a Black life ain't worth shyt to law enforcement. No way would a White guy have had the same ending. White people will leave the theatre with a greater appreciation for the Black experience. Some of y'all couldn't fathom having the shyt that happened to Oscar Grant happen to you. Being handcuffed and made to lay on the ground with a pistol to the back of your head while you're on your belly for something that happens at White bars every night.