FreePeopleofColor USA: Difference in identity between the North/South and how it relates to Liberia

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
A deeper examination of how this mullato vs pure black perception (self-perception and outsider (white) perception of them) from the USA played a role in Liberia:

CQIQTyP.png

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
British historian/explorer William Winwood Reade (26 December 1838 – 24 April 1875), who was in Liberia in the 1860s/1870s gave an account of what we witnessed happen between the mulatto Americos vs the dark skinned Americos:mjlol:

504brNN.png

....more context as to why, coming up:mjpls:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
....more context as to why, coming up:mjpls:

I saved the two regions of the South for last, that would best explain the dynamics between FPC vs enslaved and the level of caste amongst them prior to the Civil War era, the era when most of the Americo-Liberians, ancestors left the USA.

South Carolina (a big contingent for Americos) and Louisiana (smaller amount)

wtLwm7G.jpg

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
@xoxodede

Let's start with Louisiana:

The FPC there DID NOT want to be grouped with slaves and later, what would become Freedmen

7JqrGFu.jpg

The FPCs viewed the Northern Abolitionist with disdain:hhh:

jXrz0fY.png

Iw5ulwQ.png

FPCs in Louisiana were obviously aware that their special status/caste could only exist as long as the masses of slaves remained enslaved:beli:

msCi1sM.png

The Louisiana National Guard was c00n-structed to not only protect white confederate interests but also the FPC's wealth/ownership of slaves:mjpls:

HBoqtND.png

These FPC didn't get on code until the Civil War ended their caste and took their wealth away, since slavery was now over:sas1:

D7F2zHK.png

X1mFujQ.png

their whole outlook changed once the Civil War happened and then Jim Crow/One Drop rule came through and helped foster the modern collective "Black Identity" in the South :youngsabo: This nugget (after the Civil war) right here illustrates how mixed types perceived "darker skinned" people in the South when the guy implies that dark skinned people (black as soot) really are n1ggers and should never be able to use the "of color" label:childplease:

PVj3CFC.png

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
South Carolina:

Many sentiments that played out in Louisiana also played out in South Carolina amongst the FPC but LA didn't have anything like the Brown Fellowship Society

T5qhwfn.png

you had to be on this level to get in:mjgrin:

zGyP2CB.jpg

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I've mainly in the last few posts painted a more complete picture of Southern FPCs to give you context as to why the mullato Americo-Liberians acted the way they did, as they were overwhelmingly Southern in origin and brought with them Southern-based Free/Slave and Mulatto/Pure African caste dynamics. They left before the Jim Crow era and the invention of the One-Drop Rule, so they actually had a elitist racial perception of themselves in that era of the USA which they would did import into Liberia and project unto their darker afram kin, along with native-African Liberians.

The modern ADOS identity from a racial/nationalistic POV, NEVER materialized from the South but instead, the North. It's the mistake many people make when they want to bring up the:mjpls: aspects of Americo-Liberians w/o realizing that there were TWO FPC Afram identities/agendas prior to the Civil War, and Liberia was unfortunate to get the Southern-based one that was heavily centered around plantation dynamics:pachaha:

Before the Civil War and in the same era those Southern FPCs went to Liberia, things were a complete 180 in the North. The Northern contingent of FPCs created the modern nationalistic/racially aware, ADOS identity which would include Pan-Africanism and "Black" identity-unity regardless of shade, which would cut across all complexions and class, barriers.

pWgdVPY.jpg

QuiBCPK.png

:wow:

XsYzrS3.png

XIi10nJ.png

AFRICAN AMERICA’S FIRST PROTEST MEETING: BLACK PHILADELPHIANS REJECT THE AMERICAN COLONIZATION SOCIETY PLANS FOR THEIR RESETTLEM

African America's First Protest Meeting: Black Philadelphians Reject the American Colonization Society Plans for Their Resettlem •

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
The people labeled "Black Yankees" are mainly people who descend from Northern slaves and/or black people who were either FPCs already in South/Southern Fugitive Slaves and arrived in the North in the 1700s or early to mid 1800s. Some of those people are the likes of:

fRwVtEc.jpg

KMMUlpN.png

ZUDEew4.png

gmvOXAS.jpg

jHePkOM.jpg

a46Zu21.jpg

N6wPw5o.jpg

ZwOTnF9.png

btQ9Cj0.jpg

3KEgA0k.jpg

Hpa5kdF.jpg

XcGtsRD.png

27VW6WS.jpg

Last edited:

invalid

Banned
Daps
Interesting thread.

A number of posters, including myself, have claimed that a three tiered caste did not exist in the States like it had in the Caribbean.

So is it safe to say that it did exist in the Lower South?

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Interesting thread.

A number of posters, including myself, have claimed that a three tiered caste did not exist in the States like it had in the Caribbean.

So is it safe to say that it did exist in the Lower South?

Yea, the true 3-tiered castes existed mainly in the "French/Spanish" influenced parts of the Lower South/Deep South

Map-of-the-United-States-Gulf-Coast-Source-Map-created-by-Jessica-Schwartz-The-George.png

z39njl7.jpg

The Upper-South didn't have a full 3 tier caste system, but there was definitely middle ground area between their tighter colorline dynamics when compared to the Lower South.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Yea, the true 3-tiered castes existed mainly in the "French/Spanish" influenced parts of the Lower South/Deep South

Map-of-the-United-States-Gulf-Coast-Source-Map-created-by-Jessica-Schwartz-The-George.png

z39njl7.jpg

The Upper-South didn't have a full 3 tier caste system, but there was definitely middle ground area between their tighter colorline dynamics when compared to the Lower South.

South Carolina and Georgia are also Lower South

auIiAJP.png

Last edited:

invalid

Banned
Daps
I gotta find the book, but I read something years ago about the descendants of Chicago’s “Old Settlers” who were it’s pre-migration elite. And they tell you straight up that the skin color non-sense came up with the southerners many of whom were from Louisiana and Mississippi.

I didn’t think that to be quite accurate because one of the old school beefs between Dr. Daniel Hale Williams and Dr. George Cleveland Hall, who took over Dr. Dan’s Provident Hospital, was due in part to Dr. Hall’s dark skin complexion. And I believe Dr. Dan Williams was from Wisconsin.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I feel like Memphis had this 3 caste as well.

And Savannah is always slept on but their social dynamics were even more stringent than Charleston.

All those Upper South areas had a 3rd caste but it took more admixture (being less african or being part Amerindian) to access it when compared to the Lower South. Peep this law from Virginia where the first "black" president of Liberia was from

tahdlzp.png

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I gotta find the book, but I read something years ago about the descendants of Chicago’s “Old Settlers” who were it’s pre-migration elite. And they tell you straight up that the skin color non-sense came up with the southerners many of whom were from Louisiana and Mississippi.

It did because most of the Aframs who left the South in that pre-official great migration era, were light skinned and carried some of that complexion:mjpls: politics up North

I didn’t think that to be quite accurate because one of the old school beefs between Dr. Daniel Hale Williams and Dr. George Cleveland Hall, who took over Dr. Dan’s Provident Hospital, was due in part to Dr. Hall’s dark skin complexion. And I believe Dr. Dan Williams was from Wisconsin.

Dr Dan was from Philly