Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana (Discussion Thread)

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I haven’t heard Dreamville or Tyler. I don’t listen to anyone from Odd Future. How does the Dreamville album compare to Cole’s solos? In my opinion, all his albums range from mediocre to 3.5 mics.

I haven’t listened to Tyler/OF really at all, outside of The Internet (highly recommend), and a couple tracks from Tyler back in HS. I randomly heard Earfquake for the first time a couple wks ago, and listened to the whole album off the strength of that alone.

Dreamville is better than most of what Cole has put out solo imo. The production being out of his hands made a difference, and they got a lot of talent on Dreamville. Plus some good guest features. First listen I liked it alright, but it’s gotten better with more listens, a lot like Bandana. Except Bandana was also flames off first listen

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Finally copped the album and listened to it

These nikkas dropped an instant classic :whew:

Madlib balanced the modern & vintage aesthetics PERFECTLY. I honesty never fukked with Piñata like that but from two listens this is a vastly superior record musically. Bandana honestly reminds me of the first time I heard Madvillainy from a production standpoint :wow:

Gibbs stepped his bars up :ehh: the only thing I’d say is that he sounded hungrier on Piñata, he lacked a little bit of energy on this album in general. His writing on this one is significantly better though, he had some dope bars throughout. Caught that Jacka bar too :myman:

The guest verses were dope, not amazing but dope. Pusha T came with it :wow:

I’d give Gibbs 8.5/10 and Madlib 10/10

O/A, this is a 9/10 project. If Gibbs keeps improving his bars he might actually end up being one of the greats after all is said and done :ehh: