“Frankly, I hate dialogue,”

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps

Denis Villeneuve recently told The Times of London that “movies have been corrupted by television.” His opinion comes from his growing desire to make a movie without any dialogue.

“Frankly, I hate dialogue,” the filmmaker told the publication. “Dialogue is for theatre and television. I don’t remember movies because of a good line, I remember movies because of a strong image. I’m not interested in dialogue at all. Pure image and sound, that is the power of cinema, but it is something not obvious when you watch movies today. Movies have been corrupted by television.”

Explains a lot

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.

Denis Villeneuve recently told The Times of London that “movies have been corrupted by television.” His opinion comes from his growing desire to make a movie without any dialogue.

“Frankly, I hate dialogue,” the filmmaker told the publication. “Dialogue is for theatre and television. I don’t remember movies because of a good line, I remember movies because of a strong image. I’m not interested in dialogue at all. Pure image and sound, that is the power of cinema, but it is something not obvious when you watch movies today. Movies have been corrupted by television.”

Explains a lot
Definitely does. I feel like Nolan has a little of this in him as well. The problem is when you get directors who focus on iconic images instead of telling a story not saying Villeneuve does that cause I love his work.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Definitely does. I feel like Nolan has a little of this in him as well. The problem is when you get directors who focus on iconic images instead of telling a story not saying Villeneuve does that cause I love his work.

I liked a Blade Runner the OG over 2049 specifically because of what was said.
And it explains his adaptation of Dune...Dune is a very "talky" book.

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
"I don't remember movies because of a good line"

Listen I fukk with dudes movies but that's a depressing thing to say. That's some adhd brain shyt right there.

Jules quoting scripture in pulp fiction
"You are a plague, and we are the cure" from the matrix or really anything agent Smith says when he starts talking his shyt.
"Yipee Kiii yay motherfukker" from die hard?
"Hasta la Vista baby" from terminator 2?

There are people who don't speak ANY English but then when they find out you're American they just start quoting their favorite movies to you. Does dude actually live on Arrakis and doesn't know about iconic movie lines?

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
That's crazy

How many of us randomly burst out with a movie quote for an applicable situation often? I know I do lol.

At the family cookout and nobody told a nicca we was wearing matching family shirts?

"IM PUTTING CASES ON ALL YOU NICCAS"

Nephew finally bag his first crush?

"Boom"
full

lamont614

Superstar
Daps

Listen I fukk with dudes movies but that's a depressing thing to say. That's some adhd brain shyt right there.

"You are a plague, and we are the cure" from the matrix or really anything agent Smith says when he starts talking his shyt.

There are people who don't speak ANY English but then when they find out you're American they just start quoting their favorite movies to you. Does dude actually live on Arrakis and doesn't know about iconic movie lines?

I was telling this girl they bringing T2 back in theaters for a couple days she said she has never seen but said isn’t that the

“I’ll be back movie”

:laff:

Last edited:

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I like his movies too. But I agree. I hate his take. I LOVE DIALOGUE. Movies are memorable from the iconic dialogue.

Jerry Maguire ' "Show Me The Money"
New Jack City - "Sit your five dolla ass down, before I make change"
Braveheart ; "Aye, fight and you may die. Run and you'll live, at least a while. And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom!

I can go on and on. I strongly disagree with his opinion. And to be honest, DUNE was boring, and the dialogue was flat.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That reads as one of the dumbest opinions by a talented person I've read in a long time. :mjlol:

In fact, reading his assessment of why "Oppenheimer" was successful makes it even worse. He can't possibly wrap his head around the fact dialogue might have helped a movie in which the protagonist has been dead for nearly 60 years, and the events in question happened nearly 80 years have a sense of urgency, and be something people wanted to watch. :mjlol:

Last edited:

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I liked a Blade Runner the OG over 2049 specifically because of what was said.
And it explains his adaptation of Dune...Dune is a very "talky" book.
There's a lot of conversation and monologuing in the book. As opposed to the movie where there is just a lot of silence.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps

These are all old movies. What recent movies do you remember because of one line?