Former SA President Thabo Mbeki reflects on Somali support for the ANC

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
IN JUNE 1974, a few of us spent some days in Mogadishu, Somalia, as members of an ANC delegation. We had come to the capital of Somalia to attend the annual Organisation of African Unity (OAU) Assembly of Heads of State and Government. As was the practice then, the Assembly had elected the President of Somalia, Major General Siad Barre, as its Chairperson and Chair of the OAU until the next Assembly. Siad Barre therefore presided over the proceedings of the Mogadishu Summit.

During that month of June, as it hosted the Assembly, Mogadishu served as the venue for a great African celebration. The reason for the celebration was the then impending collapse of Portuguese colonialism and the liberation of the African Portuguese colonies. Unquestionably, the star of the day, who attended the Assembly, was the late Samora Machel, who was to become the first President of liberated Mozambique.

In its 24 June 1974 edition the US "Time" magazine carried an article entitled "Sinking the Lusitanian". Among other things it said: "When President Antonio de Spinola inaugurated new governors for Angola and Mozambique...for the first time ever in a public speech about the territories, (he) used the word that Africans had been waiting for him to speak: independence. 'Self-determination cannot be dissociated from democracy,' he said, adding: 'Neither can we dissociate self-determination from independence.'

As part of a cultural programme put together for the benefit of the delegates, a Somali drama group performed a play that sought to denounce the neo-colonialism mentioned by "Time" magazine, and which severely compromised the independence of African countries. The play had scenes of delegates visiting Western embassies on their way to OAU meetings.

Here they would be given briefcases full of cash. They would then be given instructions on the resolutions they should propose at these OAU meetings and how they should vote. The sketches included instructions on the need for these delegates to do everything possible to frustrate the struggles against colonialism and apartheid.

This was the first and last time I visited Mogadishu. For many years afterwards Mogadishu and Somalia remained in our memories as African places of hope for us, a reliable rear base for the total liberation of Africa, including our liberation from apartheid. Indeed, in later years, others of our comrades returned to Mogadishu, this time to work with the Somali government to prepare for the clandestine infiltration into South Africa of cadres of Umkhonto we Sizwe, who would travel to apartheid South Africa by sea, secretly departing from the Somali ports!

It's time to start dispelling some myths about Somalis being anti-African :ufdup:

And now South Africans kill other Africans in xenophobic attacks.

ANC Today Vol.7 No. 1, 12 January 2006

Last edited:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
I never believed all Somalis were anti-African which is why I am so cool with most of yall on here. One of the most INTELLIGENT, well informed and pro-African person I met online was a Somali. Its just that you guys have a VERY :scust: loud ass minority that give all yall a very bad name...

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh

We were putting in work breh

During their early communist phase, Siad Barre and his military junta were initially quite supportive of various fledging administrations and anti-colonial movements. In 1974, the Somali government invited trainee pilots and technicians from Burundi for a two-year-long capacity training programme with the Somali Air Force, which at that time was one of the strongest air powers on the continent. Before their training, the Burundi Air Force consisted of only three pilots who had received training in Egypt and France. This number grew to 18 with the help of Somali pilots and instructors.

Barre was also the only head of state to attend Mozambique's independence celebrations. Along with fellow communists the Soviet Union and Cuba, Barre also sent martial reinforcements to assist the government of Samora Machel against Rhodesian and Portuguese forces. Rhodesian guerrillas in Maputo at the time "bragged to Portuguese correspondents that Somali tanks will be used in future operations against Ian Smith’s forces.

In their struggle against the Rhodesians, Zambia appealed to other African countries for military support. On 27 June 1977, President Kenneth David Kaunda speaking to a crowd of Zambians in Lusaka announced that Somalia's armed forces were prepared to aid his country against the Rhodesians. Somali Air Force pilots stood on standby to fly Zambian MiGs in case of a war.

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
I never believed all Somalis were anti-African which is why I am so cool with most of yall on here. One of the most INTELLIGENT, well informed and pro-African person I met online was a Somali. Its just that you guys have a VERY :scust: loud ass minority that give all yall a very bad name...

:hubie:

We shouldn't be judged by our trolls :ufdup:

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
When I win I bring we with me
It's time to start dispelling some myths about Somalis being anti-African :ufdup:

And now South Africans kill other Africans in xenophobic attacks.

ANC Today Vol.7 No. 1, 12 January 2006

:ehh:

You remember mr. "fufu nation" :sas1:

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
Bruh that song been in the back of my head all day :mindblown: ..."Ion een know what dey say'n":damn:

:sadbron:
:stylin:

Lmao me too. The chorus is catchy. They're saying

Afrikaay is maqal Midab Gumeysi diida. Diida! Diida!

Africa listen to each other. Refuse colonisation. Refuse! Refuse!

I just looked up some of the lyrics and parts of it get real :demonic:

The spear is sweet
The one who doesn't want your blackness
And he who hates your appearance

You slit his throat and I'll taste his blood :wtf:

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
When I win I bring we with me
Lmao me too. The chorus is catchy. They're saying

Afrikaay is maqal Midab Gumeysi diida. Diida! Diida!

Africa listen to each other. Refuse colonisation. Refuse! Refuse!

Only thing I understood:russ:

I just looked up some of the lyrics and parts of it get real :demonic:

The spear is sweet
The one who doesn't want your blackness
And he who hates your appearance

You slit his throat and I'll taste his blood :wtf:

:wow:

:damn:
fukk dem cacs!!!

It's time to..

diida! Diida!! Diida!!

Refuse Dance!!!