Forest Whitaker Is Producing A Scripted Drama On HBCU Hazing

LevelUp

Born To Mack
Daps
Forest Whitaker is bringing a hush-hush issue that happens at historically Black colleges and universities to the big screen. According to reports, the famed filmmaker is teaming up with Django Unchained producer Reginald Hudlin to write and direct a new feature film that sheds light on extreme hazing on Black campuses. The drama, titled “Underground,” will center around a student enduring harsh hazing conditions while trying to pledge a fraternity at a HBCU campus. The project is bound to spark a good debate, and as a Black college alum and member of a Black Greek Letter Organization, I think this topic deserves the attention of a national stage now more than ever.

http://www.blackenterprise.com/lifestyle/forest-whitaker-produce-drama-hbcu-hazing/

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Don't know how I feel about this...

At a time where SUPPORT for HBCU's is needed more than ever, shytting on them and "exposing" Hazing rituals that Cac universities themselves have been doing for decades rubs me wrong...

And besides, I always thought the concept of "hazing" was stupid as fukk. I'm going to consent to you abusing me for the "right" of saying I'm part of your club:wtf: fukk outta here.

Last edited:

Marco Andretti

GRINDHARD
Daps
Reppin
NoleNation 904 Jetlife

At a time where SUPPORT for HBCU's is needed more than ever, shutting on them and "exposing" Hazing rituals that Cac universities themselves have been doing for decades rubs me wrong...

And besides, I always thought the concept of "hazing" was stupid as fukk. I'm going to consent to you abusing me for the "right" of saying I'm part of your club:wtf: fukk outta here.

I feel ya..

This was posted in 2014 tho..

At her hype of when this hazing was exposed on a national level..

Robert Champion died at FAMU for hazing back then..

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!

At a time where SUPPORT for HBCU's is needed more than ever, shutting on them and "exposing" Hazing rituals that Cac universities themselves have been doing for decades rubs me wrong...

One of the biggest problems we have is always pushing shyt to the side when it comes to our people (molestation, mental illness, etc. ). When you hear about how the Morehouse administration was tryin to cover up for their students in rape cases since they didn't "want these men's lives ruined" that says enough. Stop worrying about what cacs are doing. We know they do this shyt too. It has nothing to do with the right and wrong. And a lot of these mufukkaz go WAY overboard on the hazing.

And yeah the shyt is stupid as fukk. fukk I look like paying you money to beat my ass and do disgusting fukked up shyt. :what:

Daps
Reppin
Canada

At a time where SUPPORT for HBCU's is needed more than ever, shytting on them and "exposing" Hazing rituals that Cac universities themselves have been doing for decades rubs me wrong...

sure lets sweep it under the rug then

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Why does it have to be at a HBCU though? I agree with the previous poster, this is a time when HBCUs need more support and this kinda of thing won't help. Besides, Black Greeks have problems with hazing at predominantly white institutions as well. They get suspended from both HBCUs and PWIs all the time, and there are even more PWIs than HBCUs.

Justise M

Superstar
Daps
which fraternity they gonna use?

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
I'm all for it. People get so hung up on caring what white people are going to think but at the same time are always complaining about all black movies being the same. The "we can't show blacks in a negative light right now" mindset logically leads to one-dimensional portrayals of black people that lack any nuance and pander to "feel good" narratives. I bet those folks don't want Ryan Coogler doing the film about the Atlanta cheating scandal because it's going to "make black people look bad," and instead, wants him to do Fruitvale Station part 2. fukk that. He did a slice of life story for Oscar Grant, he did a feel good movie with Creed, he's doing a super hero with Black Panther, and he is going to shine a light on the corruption of the school system that are hurting our black kids. Explore the diversity of our community even if the subject at hand will make you feel uncomfortable. Those stories need to be told too.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
I'm all for it. People get so hung up on caring what white people are going to think but at the same time are always complaining about all black movies being the same. The "we can't show blacks in a negative light right now" mindset logically leads to one-dimensional portrayals of black people that lack any nuance and pander to "feel good" narratives. I bet those folks don't want Ryan Coogler doing the film about the Atlanta cheating scandal because it's going to "make black people look bad," and instead, wants him to do Fruitvale Station part 2. fukk that. He did a slice of life story for Oscar Grant, he did a feel good movie with Creed, he's doing a super hero with Black Panther, and he is going to shine a light on the corruption of the school system that are hurting our black kids. Explore the diversity of our community even if the subject at hand will make you feel uncomfortable. Those stories need to be told too.

Did you even read the complaints here? It's not about white people. It's about dwindling HBCU support. There are HBCUs who will actually be closing this year and next from lack of enrollment and funding. Most Black Greeks pledge as alumni or at white schools, so it doesn't make sense to make this about HBCUs anyway

Paradise50

Superstar
Daps
putting this on HBCU's is corny considering black greeks are at PWI's too (numerous PWI's) ....hazing occurs in both instances and isn't specific to JUST hbcu's. Forrest a fukk boy for this shyt

some funded propaganda that can be used by a lot of southern states that are trying to fukk over hbcu's