For Coli Writers/Authors, What do you most enjoy about Writing???

dangerranger

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Creating my own ish. I can’t understate hoq Precious that is. It’s the closest you get to being a kid as an adult. It also incentive to keep doing what you’re doing because it’s your character, your world, your story. It becomes your baby and motivates you to make it as great as it can be.

Axolotl

Banned
Daps
Creating my own ish. I can’t understate hoq Precious that is. It’s the closest you get to being a kid as an adult. It also incentive to keep doing what you’re doing because it’s your character, your world, your story. It becomes your baby and motivates you to make it as great as it can be.
what do u think about Author surrogate in stories???

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
Writing characters and then going all in on their backstory - stuff that won't make the book, but will inform how I write the characters. :ehh:

Last year I went through a couple of evenings off edibles and compiled a 400 song playlist of obscure African rock that one character in my story would listen to - just because. I still listen to it - shyt's dope. :wow:

Also - I love when wild abstract ideas you have turn out to have a grounding in real life that you never knew about :ohhh:

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Creating a new world (whether positive or negative, grounded or fantastical) that's different from the current world so I don't have to think about real life
VY2wmdR.png

Shadow

Enjoy your life and loved ones.
Daps
The process of creating and putting together all thoughts inside my head, seeing new ways the story changes and basically forms itself bit by bit. The joy of writing back and forth dialogue that informs the reader about the character relationships, the world, the setting, the situation, etc. Dealing with certain conflicts and situations that are not so on the nose and can be made subtle through being told a certain way. The way a single idea can form a whole story and that can branch elsewhere and so forth. Seeing your own improvement over time as you read, write and edit more.

Surprising yourself with how well a scene went or how you chose to write something, in a way you would have never thought of years ago. The release of the words just flowing off the page and your fingers dancing all over the keyboard (or sloppy frantic writing all over the pages). Sometimes I have not released that I haven't breathed in a while because I was so caught up with the text. There's an audible "whew" given from me because it feels like a great weight lifted when you can see thought typed out and not in your head anymore, not potentially lost because you didn't write them down yet.

Overall being able to correctly convey what you want, how you want, is a great feeling. The emotional and physical aspect of writing is understated as well.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Great thread and I think it's a good question to continually ask yourself because sometimes we get creatively blocked for various reasons. It's always good to go back to the source to remind yourself why you started in the first place.

For me, it's the journey. I like seeing where the story will take me and what the characters will reveal to me along the way. My characters always surprise me even when I do character sketches and outline. I also really love getting feedback from readers who enjoy my work, but I really need to stop depending on that as a motivator. It really shouldn't drive me the way it does. Sometimes readers don't respond the way you think they will or just not get your stuff and when you're overly invested in their reaction it can really kill your passion.

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I wish I started earlier. I remember back when I was in middle school I used to complain to my mom I thought I had read all the books that interested me. She used to always say "then write something you'd like to read". I used to say that it wasnt the same. I wish I could go back in time and tell my younger self to listen

Last edited: