First Trailer for Keanu Reeves Directorial debut Man of Tai Chi

Just like bruddas

Couple shooters in the cut.
Supporter
Daps
Please don't tell me Keanu Reeves is making some Americanised version of Cowboy Bebop.

heard he was in talks with the original creator.

I havent heard anything bout it since...

still I dont idk if I should be :sadbron: or :lawd: thats its not happening

Tom

Banned
Daps
Reppin
They see me trolling, they hating.....
this will be better than RZA's film

as long as it has some dope fight scenes I'm in, i don't care if the story sucks

surprised to see that the coli's martial arts expert Mowgli isn't feeling it tho

:leon:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
There's an HD Webrip out, with hardcoded subs!

The movie reminded me a lot of the 90s Hong Kong wave in terms of look and style. The build-up and final fight, the love interest, a bunch of frustrated side-character cops, the villain's wannabe-cool sidekick, the whole thing. Regardless, the fights looked great. They're a bit rough around the edges (poor 'hit detection', Rick Flair level flopping) but the camera work and choreography are mostly great.

The main guy also isn't too impressive a fighter, nor does he have a strong screen presence (instead he has the most swagless haircut I've ever seen), but he's got enough moves to be convincing as a fighter. Apparently he's been close friends with Reeves ever since they worked together on The Matrix, and he was actually the inspiration for Reeves to do this movie, so I can respect it.

Which brings me the weird part because even though he's the director, Reeves of all people in the movie hammed it up the most. His role is basically a homage to other western villains in Kung Fu movies, who are often shown as clinical and stiff and Reeves does just that with the occasional outbursts of Nicolas Cage type madness. If he was just westerner living in Asia, you wouldn't differentiate his role from all the other western villains in Kung Fu movies, so I guess he succeeded at that.

Regarding his own fighting skills, you can clearly tell Reeves is not an experienced martial artist since his fighting lacks the speed, precision and focus of everybody else (including The Raid's Iko Uwais in a disappointingly underused role) but they cover up it up well with the editing. Also, the way he towers over the (short) main guy helped to make him look more convincing a threat even when you know he isn't, kinda like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in Game Of Death.

In the end I'd give it a 3 out of 5. It's an average martial arts movie with average fights, but they were shot better than fight scenes generally are in these type of movies, so that's a plus.

kingdarius

Wtf u talkin bout? Ya Bish
Daps
Reppin
FayetteNam, North Carolina #byrdgang
this shyt was on point, the story was meh but the fights were :krs:....keanu did his thang with this
my only issue was using my dude from the raid for that bullshyt cameo :rudy: i saw him and was like :gladbron: then that bullshyt with ol boy running happened and i was like :pacspit:
other than that i dug it :ehh: