First Trailer For James Gray’s ‘The Lost City Of Z’ Starring Charlie Hunnam & Robert Patti

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Saw it Friday. I thought it was kind of boring. At least the first half took a long while to get going. It won me over a bit in the second half though.

Definitely was expecting more of an action adventure type film for some reason but it's more of one of those British period pieces my wife likes.

Just know it felt more like something made in the 60s so it will feel slow to modern sensibilities

Good cast and performances.

3.5/5

Last edited:

ChuckTaylor84

Penthouse Player
Supporter
Daps
Horrible fukking movie

I hated this shyt because I was really looking forward to watching it

A lot of shyt could have been left out

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Saw it today. @Nature Boy Ric Flair

I agree with @FlyRy that the first half took a bit to get going, but I think that's more in how the story is handled. I liked that Gray took his time for a lot of elements of the story (the family stuff, the elite snobbery in the army and RGS) but he strangely rushed through the first expedition like it was nothing. The characters keep telling us it's all very harsh and shyt but the movie barely shows it and when they made it to the heart of the Rio Verde river in 15 minutes I was like :dwillhuh:

It made me wish that the filmmakers would've had the balls to go full Lawrence Of Arabia and just make a 3 hour epic, really get into the expeditions and his time in WWI, etc. Once the movie gets to the second expedition, the story finds a better balance between the different story elements and works a lot better, although the feeling that it needed more time and expansion never went away. Luckily the writing is otherwise very good, and the performances are ace, which is very noteworthy because Hunnam especially delves into some hidden well of acting talent that he never showed before.

As a period piece about Percy Fawcett's life it is well made and works, but if you're more interested in the actual madness of the jungle that the movie so often talks about but never really gets across, you're better off checking out the Werner Herzog classics Aguirre and Fitzcarraldo, or more recently the absolutely amazing El Abrazo De La Serpiente, the latter two based on true stories as well.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Really disappointed in this one. I enjoyed the book so I was looking forward to the film.

They showed none of the harshness that these guys endured venturing through the Amazon. The jungle expeditions should have been the meat of the movie, but it was basically glossed over. :dwillhuh:

There was a bit too much cheesiness as well.