First African American Olympian figure skater broke and in abusive relationship with hillbilly.

Will2x

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I saw this on tv the other day. It bothers me that the whole purpose of putting this out is to shyt on her. Like there no redeeming factor to this or light at the end of the tunnel just remember that one successful black chick? Yeah she broke now. ROFL!

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I remember something from way back in the day about her having a bit of a breakdown from all the pressure since childhood to be perfect and high achieving and always a good representative of black people to the point she couldn't make a single misstep and every choice she made had to be about being impressive more than what fit her best.

It's why she relinquished the spotlight so easily.
Her parents also raised her super white-washed, always the token and perfect black ambassador but somehow past race and raceless. The racism she faced in figure skating really effed her up given that her parents didn't prepare her for reality in any way.

ETA:
I can't stand Iyanla or her stupid shows or her approach of airing people's dirty laundry while bellowing at them to be honest but neglecting the mental health aspect.
I just read that apparently Debi has had a history of some mental health related issues that were glossed over while Iyanla was basking on her soapbox.

Can't deal with anything unless you put it out there especially mental issues.

Canon

Veteran
Daps
I saw this on tv the other day. It bothers me that the whole purpose of putting this out is to shyt on her. Like there no redeeming factor to this or light at the end of the tunnel just remember that one successful black chick? Yeah she broke now. ROFL!
she needs to be shyt on tho

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
So the con
First African American Olympic Figure Skater Champion Dr. Debi Thomas Now Broke Living In Squalor [Video]

Iyanla makes a trip to the sticks to visit Dr. Debi Thomas. The former Olympic Gold Medalist, Dr. Thomas, went from being the first African American figure skater to win an Olympic Gold, to living in an Appalachian Mountains trailer park with her alcoholic fiance who already has 2 kids. Sadly, Debi lost custody of her own 13 year-old son.

We have all the preview clips from the episode on the next pages…

Video Link & Embed Code

Why does Iylana have to either yell or shake the shyt out of her clients? So surprised someone hasn't kicked her by now.

DrX

Coming For The Crown (Japanese Dreaming)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:yeshrug: aye life gotta weird way for not going the way u want it

Daps
Reppin
NULL
nikkaz really that mad she is with a white dude or are they just thirsty for daps?:jbhmm:

i would assume that men or women that succeed at the highest level in sports like figure-skating....tennis....golf...hockey...etc....will end up with someone white...seems natual to me....thats what youre always around

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Must we feel sorry for her? Im also struggling cause of the bad choices Ive recently made..granted Im not shacking up with some dusty cac in an outhouse..