Finally the golden age of 28

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
They've actually done a lot of research into this phenomenon. Here's the latest I've heard as I understand it.

Basically, your perception of the passage of time is what changes (not time itself, obviously). As you get older you perceive the general passage of time as moving faster. Why? The reason for this is memory.

Your brain is a memory making machine, but it craves new experiences. It prioritizes the memory of new experiences.

So, when you are young, the whole world is a new experience. Every school lesson, every new meal or food, every new trip. You just don't have experience so everything is novel to you. You get new clothes more often, visit new stores more often, etc. Thus, your brain is making more new memories. Because your brain remembers so many new things between any two events, say two birthdays as a child, the time between those events is perceived to have taken a long time.

Now, flash forward to age 40. Your life is no longer full of novelty. Most people have established routines. They work the same type of job the same way 40 hours a week. They visit the same stores for the same groceries every time. They eat the same meals, watch the same shows, listen to the same music. Because of this, the brain no longer emphasizes the memory of these experiences. Instead, it "groups" similar experiences together as a unit. Thus, you have a hard time remembering what you did at work three weeks ago on Thursday because it was just like every other Thursday at work and stands out in no particular way.

The effect of this grouping is that time seems to pass by much faster. You largely start to experience time as large blocks instead of individual days and moments. Thus, the time between two birthdays, say, is not 365 days of novel experience, but 12 months of the same old same old so your brain doesn't bother to break it out.

This can be seen in many small scale ways. For example, when you drive as a teenager and when driving in unfamiliar surroundings you seem hyper aware. But, when you are 40 and have lived in the same house for 12 years and drive the same route to work every day, there will be times when you get to work and do not remember the drive in you JUST made because it was so routine and unoriginal. Your brain basically didn't bother recording it, or already grouped it with other like experiences.

Now, novel experiences will still register. It is why days such as vacations to new spots, weddings, deaths, etc stand out so vividly. They aren't routine. Your brain pays more attention to them.

It's like putting each of your pairs of socks in a different drawer. You'd think, man, I have a LOT of socks! Fifteen drawers worth! But if you put them all in one drawer, you only think, I have one drawer of socks. That's what your brain does with memories. When they are all novel, they all get their own drawer. But as experiences become similar, it just starts putting them all in the same drawer.

If you want to slow down your perception of time, generally speaking, engage in new and novel activities. Take up new hobbies, drive new roads, shop at new places and at new times. Hang out with new people, go to different restaurants, watch different television. Etc.

DaPresident

Miami Hurricanes football fan...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Miami Hurricanes,Dallas Cowboys, St. John's, DMV
Turned 29 in January...

Didn't hit me that I was a little older until this weekend. Went to a Men's Retreat with my church and we hit a batting cage for a lil bit. Took 180 pitches...that was Saturday. Today, Monday, my damn back is stiff and my forearms feel tight as hell. Hips feel a bit stiff too..

Funny thing is I played baseball my whole life basically. But last played in a summer league 3 years ago, haven't picked up a bat since. I woke up this morning like, "Damn, I'm truly getting "OLD" now" lol

My pops said it was gonna get like this. Can't move the way you wanna. Things u could do no problem a few years ago now turn into Aleeve moments

But i'm enjoying my "youth" b/c there's not many years of it left

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Elaborate :lupe:

If you keep a fresh dynamic mind your body will harness that energy. Im 29 but physically i feel 16 & do everything i did then better now. I do take care o myself too cant leave it all to your thoughts.

Cheercomp

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The idea of time flying faster is based on how long that piece of time is relative to how long we've been alive. When you were 8 yrs old, a year was a tremendous portion of your life so it felt as such. But when ur flabby and sick at 30, a year is just a small sliver of ur time experienced

raw613

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
602 via 410
i feel you, sometimes i feel old cuz i grew up fast, but everybody gets there, i look the same as i did 10 years ago and im probably in better health so its a mind state.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'll be 28 in Dec and life just keeps getting better

Great Job
No Kids
Hairline still in tact
Still having fun

Thankful for my fams genes. 6'4 w a beard and chics think im 22/23 cause they say most regular dudes my age are flabby.

I had to grind early because of my life situation so I'm just now enjoying life. Wants kids and settle down soon, but that can wait. Do you nikkas realize the amount of extra good puzzy you get when youre older, take care of yourself, have money and have no kids? My range is 18(:scheme:) to about 35, 40 if bad

Generation ME :blessed:

Broke Wave

The GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Open Society Foundation
Happy bday bro... a guy like you can do bigger things in life tho man don't get comfy and complacent... take today as the first day of your new life and push on into a new frontier , real shyt.

:salute:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
28-40 are usually your most productive years. I've picked things up since I turned 26

Don't get lazy :ufdup: